[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #526 of 689
I just got the KA17 and I am having problems using the PEQ.

Opening the FIOO Control app and connecting to the KA17 it asks me to "please open EQ in setting menu of device". However when I change from the "off" setting for the EQ in the device I get disconnected, and I am not able to reconnect with the device in the app unless the EQ is set to "off". I have software version 0.99. running android 14 on a Samsung phone.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry if this has been asked of before.
Remove/delete previous connection with your smartphone in the fiio app. (important)
Set the EQ function on the KA17 to "On"
Connect the USB cable to the device and add (+) the KA17 again in the app.
I had the same issue and that worked for me. Goodluck!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #527 of 689
Remove/delete previous connection with your smartphone in the fiio app. (important)
Set the EQ function on the KA17 to "On"
Connect the USB cable to the device and add (+) the KA17 again in the app.
I had the same issue and that worked for me. Goodluck!
Thanks! This seems to have fixed my issues.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #528 of 689
Dear @FiiO

I've noticed a small issue with the KA17 when playing music the first time: there's a tiny delay at the start of the music, almost like a fade-in, both on PC and Android. Is this related to an automatic power saving functionality? Can this be resolved somehow already? Or can this be addressed as an option in a firmware upgrade?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #529 of 689
Dear @FiiO,

I've noticed a small issue with the KA17 when playing music the first time: there's a tiny delay at the start of the music, almost like a fade-in, both on PC and Android. Is this related to an automatic power saving functionality? Can this be resolved somehow already? Or can this be addressed as an option in a firmware upgrade?

Thank you!
I noticed it too. And the problem is also present (and maybe even worse) on the BTR15. Can it be solved somehow?

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #533 of 689
Dear @FiiO

Thank you!
Dear friend,

Hi, the fade in is to avoid the impact sound from the first playback, we'll see if we can improve it later on.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 10, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #534 of 689
Even when powered by a cell phone, the KA17 possesses excellent purity and a sense of open space that far exceeds that of most small-tailed products, and at first listen sounds quite close to that of a full-size player. Its tone is translucent and delicate, with a relatively sharp sense of line and excellent density, with smooth junctions and little tone coloration. By: 耳边事
ERJ02275.jpg
ERJ02278.jpg
ERJ02279.jpg
ERJ02280.jpg
ERJ02285.jpg
ERJ02286.jpg
ERJ02288.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 11, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #536 of 689
Good morning. I try another cable, ddHiFi TC09S. No issue. I try to move phone, i try to move KA17, nothing, all work perfect. So i think is original cable the problem?

(I'm not an expert, I'm not an audiophile, but with the new cable I find everything even more precise)

I can't try with LT-TC5S 10cm... dear Fiio, when will it be available? i'm sure is amazing upgrade, maybe you have to add with KA17 :D

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #537 of 689
Good morning. I try another cable, ddHiFi TC09S. No issue. I try to move phone, i try to move KA17, nothing, all work perfect. So i think is original cable the problem?

(I'm not an expert, I'm not an audiophile, but with the new cable I find everything even more precise)

I can't try with LT-TC5S 10cm... dear Fiio, when will it be available? i'm sure is amazing upgrade, maybe you have to add with KA17 :D
Yeah, reliability / quality of the included USB cable is clearly bad.

You can confidently chalk up any perceived audio differences between USB cables to placebo affect. The cables are digital transports - ones and zeros. Unless there is a loss of ones and zeros in some cables, they will all sound the same (well, the sellers of high end USB cables hear a ka-ching every time someone buys a cable, but the users do not hear anything different).

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #538 of 689
I have said in the past the original cables with these dongles don’t last long. The ones nes you can purchase separately or the braided one works great.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #539 of 689
The KA17 is not too bad. It is okay. Having Fiio app problems with parametric eq on S20 Ultra, but desktop mode works. With desktop mode it is okay. I want a 6 or 9V swing instead of 4.5V swing, but for right now the KA 17 is a decent "desktop" mode-handwarmer.
Interesting it it ok at sound or at software? It is better with separate power not going from your phone, but i personally see no point even if i try for such devices with separate power with cables sticking around so in each usage scenario i could not be happy with such dogle :) Even if it sound really good.) Compared to separate desktop k9 sounding much better and dap with battery giving mobility and better power - any dongle is fun type device not for real usage scenarios for usual day for usual people. Iit's not even possible to use it comfortably in any pocket with mobile phone living normal day outside. So for me very interesting how people find purpose to use such devices. Perhaps i am not right and wanted to get this hyped dongle to try, but later though about it's usage and in any scenario - it will be left getting dust as i can't see point for it's normal usage. Dekstop amp dac +DAP +TWS - that are only device where i see point in each scenario. How guys finding reason to buy such as k17 ? Need reason to buy it :)

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #540 of 689
Interesting it it ok at sound or at software? It is better with separate power not going from your phone, but i personally see no point even if i try for such devices with separate power with cables sticking around so in each usage scenario i could not be happy with such dogle :) Even if it sound really good.) Compared to separate desktop k9 sounding much better and dap with battery giving mobility and better power - any dongle is fun type device not for real usage scenarios for usual day for usual people. Iit's not even possible to use it comfortably in any pocket with mobile phone living normal day outside. So for me very interesting how people find purpose to use such devices. Perhaps i am not right and wanted to get this hyped dongle to try, but later though about it's usage and in any scenario - it will be left getting dust as i can't see point for it's normal usage. Dekstop amp dac +DAP +TWS - that are only device where i see point in each scenario. How guys finding reason to buy such as k17 ? Need reason to buy it :)
The KA17 sounds good, boasting an impressive set of features and excellent driving power. It seamlessly transitions between roles as a desktop DAC and a portable companion, setting itself apart from conventional desktop DAC/AMP configurations. While the K9 might offer slightly better sound quality (I can’t debate on that since I don’t own one), it comes at twice the price of the KA17 and functions solely as a desktop DAC. Additionally, the KA17 occupies way less desk space compared to a desktop DAC/AMP, making it ideal for those with limited desk space and especially for those who want to experiment with multiple DACs. Furthermore, for individuals primarily interested in IEMs, recently released dongle DACs offer sound quality that is surprisingly close to a proper desktop DAC/AMP setup.

Consider this: not everyone owns a DAP, and FiiO’s more budget-friendly one is priced at $700. Spending that much on a portable music player could already be a stretch for many. A more budget-friendly approach would be to pair your existing smartphone and PC with a quality dongle DAC—such as the KA17 or the Bluetooth-capable BTR15—yielding two functional listening setups at a fraction of the cost.

Regarding the battery matter, FiiO is already contemplating a seamlessly integrated battery solution for the KA17, which would make it an even more versatile device.

Ultimately, if you already own a high-tier DAP and a high-tier desktop DAC/AMP, it’s understandable that a sub-$200 portable DAC may not capture your interest.

If you don’t see any value in this product, it may simply not align with your specific needs, and that's perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back