[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #557 of 669
Im upgrading from my V60s internal DAC to a delta sigma dongle.

How does the KA17 compare to the Questyle M15i? The latter i was about to pull the trigger on until I heard this dongle.

Im using 60 ohm Hifiman Re2000 Silvers if that helps. Im sure neither of these dongles would have an issue driving them.

Sonic doffetences would be subtle compared to testing different iem's but would the M15i be more of an "upgrade" in the detail/transparent side of things?
There are indeed sonic differences between KA17 and M15, more so when KA17 in the default mode than in the desktop mode. In the default mode, I find that the KA17 presents the soundstage with less depth effect than I would like from other dongles, using Symphonium Crimson as the tester IEM. With desktop mode on, the stage is more spherical, as I expected.

An advantage of KA17 is how quiet it can get. I have no problem driving sensitive IEM, while the M15 gets loud quickly even with difficulty IEM like Crimson.

Negligible difference in terms of detail retrieval and dynamic that that sorts of things.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #559 of 669
There are indeed sonic differences between KA17 and M15, more so when KA17 in the default mode than in the desktop mode. In the default mode, I find that the KA17 presents the soundstage with less depth effect than I would like from other dongles, using Symphonium Crimson as the tester IEM. With desktop mode on, the stage is more spherical, as I expected.

An advantage of KA17 is how quiet it can get. I have no problem driving sensitive IEM, while the M15 gets loud quickly even with difficulty IEM like Crimson.

Negligible difference in terms of detail retrieval and dynamic that that sorts of things.
Thanks for the reply

Ill be using my V60 battery for power so desktop mode isnt recommended for my use case and your comment on presentation depth and what others have said about it being tuned "warm" a bit.

Much more difficult choosing dongles compared to choosing earphones in my experience lol. My RE2000 isnt the best when it comes to soundstage depth in the first place (still AMAZING iems though) so it seems the M15 is the better bet.

Both seem like worthy step ups to my V60 overall

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #560 of 669
Thanks for the reply

Ill be using my V60 battery for power so desktop mode isnt recommended for my use case and your comment on presentation depth and what others have said about it being tuned "warm" a bit.

Much more difficult choosing dongles compared to choosing earphones in my experience lol. My RE2000 isnt the best when it comes to soundstage depth in the first place (still AMAZING iems though) so it seems the M15 is the better bet.

Both seem like worthy step ups to my V60 overall
IMHO, there is like a “curse” of audiophile: the more you are used to notice the minute differences, the more you are driven to improve your gear. The more you improve your gear, the more you are driven to notice more and more minute differences. So on and so forth. I think both of these dongles are just fine and perform at the best of their games. Whether you can hear the differences now is a different question. If it were me, I’ll pick whatever looks nice, cheaper, and easier to order. I use a lot of sensitive IEMs to I would lean toward the KA17.

Though what I actually use is Luxury & Precision W4 :dt880smile:

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #561 of 669
IMHO, there is like a “curse” of audiophile: the more you are used to notice the minute differences, the more you are driven to improve your gear. The more you improve your gear, the more you are driven to notice more and more minute differences. So on and so forth. I think both of these dongles are just fine and perform at the best of their games. Whether you can hear the differences now is a different question. If it were me, I’ll pick whatever looks nice, cheaper, and easier to order. I use a lot of sensitive IEMs to I would lean toward the KA17.

Though what I actually use is Luxury & Precision W4 :dt880smile:
Okay.

So when Volume matched and the ka17 in default port both dongles have identical sound except the M15i has slightly superior soundstage depth basically?

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #562 of 669
Sometimes my iPhone 13 Pro recognizes the FiiO when I plug it in and sometimes it does not. Any ideas how to fix this?
You may need to use the second usb port. I had similar issues with my iPhone pro 12 max. My wife's 15 pro max was working without any problems even in the desktop mode with only the main usb port.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #564 of 669
Hey, I joined KA17 club yesterday and placed my order from FiiO. I will be pairing it with my HiFiMan HE400se and Tin HiFi T4.

I will be mainly using it as a desktop dac/amp connected to my Lenovo Legion laptop, I hope it will meet the expectations.

I chose this over K11 after I received the advice from AndyAudioVault.

I'm also on a Legion, works well with the driver installed ✌️ (except for that small issue I raised a bit earlier).

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #567 of 669
Anche se alimentato da un telefono cellulare, il KA17 possiede un'eccellente purezza e un senso di spazio aperto che supera di gran lunga quello della maggior parte dei prodotti a coda piccola, e al primo ascolto suona abbastanza vicino a quello di un lettore a grandezza naturale. Il suo tono è traslucido e delicato, con un senso della linea relativamente acuto e un'eccellente densità, con giunzioni morbide e poca colorazione del tono. Di: 耳边事
ERJ02275.jpgERJ02278.jpgERJ02279.jpgERJ02280.jpgERJ02285.jpgERJ02286.jpgERJ02288.jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #568 of 669
Thanks FiiO, I really like the ka17. I finally paired the ka17 with the hd660S2, and I'm trying the EQ recommended by: ORATORYS. I wanted to know, is it possible to change the wave type. Can the PEAK waveform be used alone?

Can LOW_SHELF and HIGH_SHELF be enabled?

Thanks, I tried with just the PEAK and it works great

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #569 of 669
You may need to use the second usb port. I had similar issues with my iPhone pro 12 max. My wife's 15 pro max was working without any problems even in the desktop mode with only the main usb port.
Thanks. I'm using portably on the go mainly with my iPhone. Attempting to contact Fiio now as I'm still having issues. In my case, it also seems battery drainage is extensive and lack of Apple MFi certification is problematic. Unlike the M12i/15i now available for example. Disappointing because I think I prefer the KA17 to the M15 at least when listening with my Audeze Sine DX from some initial listening impressions. Background seemed darker and highs had more bite but very brief impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back