FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,026 of 2,223
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #2,027 of 2,223
I think the amplifier in it is enough for all headphones, except the ones that are difficult to fold like abyss or he6se or susvara, heddphone. how do you use it? If you could compare the k9 pro ess with other devices, I would be happy too. I'm also interested in anything you want to share about it.
I have the ECC version - and it copes quite confidently with all the headphones with which I tried it - with full-size 300-ohm Bayerdynamic Amiran Home planars, and with Kennerton Wodan full-size planars, and with Dan Clark AEON 2 Noir full-size planars.

With 600-ohm Bayerdynamics T1 Gen 2, the sound is also good, but probably there is not enough power.

When compared to other sources, the K9 Pro is one level better in sound than Ifi Diablo, but loses to a combination of Singxer SDA-6 DAC and Singxer SA-1 amplifier.
But this difference is noticeable only on fairly advanced headphones - for example, with Kennerton Wodan headphones.
With Singxer, these headphones sound much better and more intelligible at low frequencies than with K9 Pro. But this is a different price level.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #2,028 of 2,223
Is there a real issue with this as a pre amp to active speakers or power amps? I know someone was going off earlier about it in this thread a few days ago but that’s the first I’ve heard of it. I have a Bifrost 2 but I need a HP amp and pre amp and was thinking of moving on from the Bifrost.

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #2,029 of 2,223
Is there a real issue with this as a pre amp to active speakers or power amps? I know someone was going off earlier about it in this thread a few days ago but that’s the first I’ve heard of it. I have a Bifrost 2 but I need a HP amp and pre amp and was thinking of moving on from the Bifrost.
I've been using the K9 (AKM) as a pre amp with powered speakers for the last year and had no issues with it :thumbsup:

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #2,030 of 2,223
Sorry I’ve read through every page now but I feel information overload. The filters and eq are only on Bluetooth input in the FIIO app.
I would only use USB from my PC. I believe I saw the volume change works across all digital inputs from the app.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #2,031 of 2,223
Anyways I went and got one. So far so good. Sounds excellent, maybe not quite to the Schiit Bifrost 2 I had but I doubt I could really tell. Computer detects it perfectly fine even after sleep which I've had a hard time with Schiit stuff doing. I did find in pre/dac mode my amp struggles to get volume when using the Fiio K9 Pro volume pot. Switching to DAC mode and letting my amp control the volume was much better, but the Fiio pot is so much nicer to use. Oh well.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,032 of 2,223
Visiting an acquaintance who is in one of my fantasy football leagues. He owns the K9 Pro (ESS), so got the chance to try it a bit this morning. *Disclaimer: I moved away from desktop rigs a decade+ ago, so I'm just kinda spit-balling here*

Seems to be a pretty convenient AIO solution; solidly built. He's a Mac user like me and currently just connects directly to his M1Pro Macbook Pro via USB (he's got a green colored Audioquest USB-C to USB-B cable); says he's considering a USB interface to have between them (??). Back in the day, I think we just called them SPDIF converters...anyway, not sure why he feels he needs that. I noticed zero issues going direct between the two units via USB.

Sound wise, nothing really stood out. Seems like a competent piece of gear.

At the SRP of $850USD, this really should have a remote control included, IMO. In fact, and again, considering my disclaimer above, this feels a bit overpriced to me, but as always, YMMV.

I heard one of those Topping A90/D90 (?) stacks recently and found while it had gobs of power, sound came across as sterile to me. :shrug: The K9, to me, doesn't come across that way, so the winner in that regard in comparison at only ~60% the cost of the Topping stack.

I have no need for such a device, but if I ever do once again delve into desktop rigs, I'll at least give FiiO a look to see how things have progressed for them; see if they learn lessons in development (not all companies do, sadly).

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,036 of 2,223
Visiting an acquaintance who is in one of my fantasy football leagues^^^ He owns the K9 Pro (ESS), so got the chance to try it a bit this morning. *Disclaimer: I moved away from desktop rigs a decade+ ago, so I'm just kinda spit-balling here*

Seems to be a pretty convenient AIO solution; solidly built. He's a Mac user like me and currently just connects directly to his M1Pro Macbook Pro via USB (he's got a green colored Audioquest USB-C to USB-B cable); says he's considering a USB interface to have between them (??). Back in the day, I think we just called them SPDIF converters...anyway, not sure why he feels he needs that. I noticed zero issues going direct between the two units via USB.

Sound wise, nothing really stood out. Seems like a competent piece of gear.

At the SRP of $850USD, this really should have a remote control included, IMO. In fact, and again, considering my disclaimer above, this feels a bit overpriced to me, but as always, YMMV.

I heard one of those Topping A90/D90 (?) stacks recently and found while it had gobs of power, sound came across as sterile to me. :shrug: The K9, to me, doesn't come across that way, so the winner in that regard in comparison at only ~60% the cost of the Topping stack.

I have no need for such a device, but if I ever do once again delve into desktop rigs, I'll at least give FiiO a look to see how things have progressed for them; see if they learn lessons in development (not all companies do, sadly).
^^^ … no fantasy holy-grail headphone audio league? … 🤪😀

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #2,037 of 2,223
Jumped on the hype train and bought 1, and still cannot believe as it is so smooth despite being a thx module amp. Contrary to many, I bought this mainly for the amp module, as I wanted something a bit harsher than my class A (Burson soloist 3xp, Singxer SA-1), but smoother than topping and smsl thx amps. This fits that middle ground perfectly.
Also, as one of the rare ones who owns the Yulong Aquila II, I can give a brief comparison of the 2:
Dac wise its very hard to separate them, to me the yulong sound a bit (stress on the word bit) rounder and fuller sounding

Amp wise, the thx seems much better than the aquila II, it has slightly better detail, and way better soundstage and separation. The thx actually sounds smoother than the yulong to my ears despite the yulong being Class AB, dont know why.

The Yulong Daart seems like better competition for the k9 pro

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #2,038 of 2,223
I wanted something a bit harsher than my class A (Burson soloist 3xp, Singxer SA-1), but smoother than topping and smsl thx amps. This fits that middle ground perfectly.
Concur, it is a genuine alternative to have on hand.
Same module in the *new* regular K9 might gain some traction given the lower price,

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #2,039 of 2,223

The new Bluetooth firmware FiiO K9Pro/K9Pro ESS is now availalble!​

7651361.jpg

How to update the Bluetooth firmware for K9 Pro ESS: Click here

K9 Pro ESS Bluetooth Firmware download: Click here

7651360.jpg

How to update the Bluetooth firmware for K9 Pro AKM: Click here

K9 Pro AKM Bluetooth Firmware download: Click here

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,040 of 2,223
I was able to successfully install the K9 Pro AKM Bluetooth Firmware V1.31 to my K9Pro (AKM), but only after updating the FiiO Control App to the most recent version on my Android phone. I did use the online upgrade option.

Prior to updating FiiO Control, even the Local Upgrade option would fail, and Online Upgrade was unavailable.

May want to note this in your instructions for the benefit of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back