FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,516 of 2,233
I have the AKM version......what stickers are you referring to ?
I have the AKM version......what stickers are you referring to ?
as seen in electromods k9 ess version review on youtube (link above) Fiio included stickers to place over the otherwise hard to read output/gain/input/power buttons with bolder print so its easier to see whats what but it also takes away from a classy facade, looks tacky, but anyone who feels the need for them can have mine

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #1,517 of 2,233
In our weekend article we at Headfonia look at the fantastic K9 Pro ESS . According to @Aerosphere , the K9 Pro ESS is very impressive and we're giving it our recommended buy award!

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-k9-pro-ess-review/

chrome_2022-04-17_10-14-34.png

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,518 of 2,233
as seen in electromods k9 ess version review on youtube (link above) Fiio included stickers to place over the otherwise hard to read output/gain/input/power buttons with bolder print so its easier to see whats what but it also takes away from a classy facade, looks tacky, but anyone who feels the need for them can have mine
seems fiio picked up my workaround to make it more readable Self made stickers ... (looks more ugly on the picture as in reality..). Meanwhile I used a 24mm wide band for the lower sticker to have it in one piece. A big sticker for the whole front would be even better, then it would look more uniform.

I saw the stand of the new ESS version. One additional reason to use the stand are the air vents on the side which then would get air from bottom compared to when not using the stand.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #1,521 of 2,233
Does it sound better using k9 as pre to other amp or use dac mode to other amp?
Actually DAC is fine sound like typical AKM chip, Amp section is really good kind of a better implementation of THX amp.
I think pre out should give you better experience.
Some people is taking its pre out to a tube amp and they are really liking it on dynamic headphones.

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,523 of 2,233
Actually DAC is fine sound like typical AKM chip, Amp section is really good kind of a better implementation of THX amp.
I think pre out should give you better experience.
Some people is taking its pre out to a tube amp and they are really liking it on dynamic headphones.
Ok I just bought the ess one, going to hook up liquid platinum using pre, so I guess I can have tube or solid state depends on my headphone

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,525 of 2,233
I have heard that the K9 is boosted in the bass. Is this true or is it neutral? Thanks.
Definitely neutral, doesn’t come off boosted to me at all, i can use a bit more to be honest, good quality bass though

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #1,527 of 2,233
Thanks. I just realized that there are 2 variants - ESS and AKM. Which one are you referring to?
I have the akm, don’t get me wrong, i sold everything when i bought this thing, adi-2, gone! Sa-1, gone!! I like a little more bass than nuetral though, the k9 is fantastic in its own rights, never seen this thing coming.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,530 of 2,233
I tried the ESS version at a local store.

I felt that the AKM version was superior in overall sound expression and balance.
(Maybe because the burn-in time is different from my AKM version.)

This makes me feel that with a good DAC and audio circuitry, there is no need for a dual DAC.
In my layman's opinion, wouldn't it be better to use a single DAC to reduce the price of the product or spend the saved cost on other parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back