FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #932 of 2,223
When can we get the new version in the US?

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #933 of 2,223
@llysender Let's wait for the presentation and first look at the characteristics of the ESS version. It is expected that the physical separation of DAC channels will lead to an increase in some characteristics. But then it all depends on how Fiio saved or did not save on double strapping. The sound handwriting of AKM and ESS is also different. A matter of taste. Personally, I'm used to the "ESS Sabre32 9018" of my very, very old "Audiolab M-DAC". By the way, it's funny to see how the characteristics of the "K5Pro ESS" have changed compared to the previous AKM version. Take a look. I'm glad Fiio sticks to one sound concept anyway. This is exactly what you described in the mini-review.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #934 of 2,223
FiiO K9Pro with support stand

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #937 of 2,223
A great forum. I found the answer myself in its immensity. :) Judging by the photo, the heat radiators will be both at the top and at the bottom. The heat flow will change. With the vertical arrangement of the housing, we will get additional degrees of heat in the middle... What is located there? I'm not drawing any conclusions. Scheme:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-4-4-optical-coaxial-interface.952664/page-20

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #942 of 2,223
So another batch of my impressions:

It gets warm over time, noticeably, but never hot. It has lots of power, currently I switched to low gain. HD600s are a comfortable listen betwen 25 and 50% of the volume knob. Lately I got my hands on Focal Clear Mg and it's even louder, probably due to it's 50 Ohm impedance compared to HD600s 300 Ohm. I run both headphones via balanced XLR.

I also use it to power my Mangird Tea IEMs via balanced 4.4mm (I also have Fiio FH7 and F9 Pro so I will try them on this device) and a pair of Mackie MR524 studio monitors via balanced XLR in pre-amp mode.

The source of the audio signal is either one of my Android devices via Bluetooth or my Macbook Pro/PC via USB through a KVM switch built into my monitor.

My operating system is either Arch Linux (Manjaro) or MacOS Monterey. Runs smoothly. The only hiccup I noticed is that the IEMs at first got gradually to full power as if the unit decided not to flood it with power right off the bat, and now switching between studio monitors, headphones and sources works seamlessly.

The only thing I am eagerly waiting for is the new firmware and android app with the volume control functionality which is a must when you sit with your tablet away from the AMP and the music plays through speakers/studio monitors. It was a letdown when I paired the K9 with Fiio Control app and I was unable to change the volume without physically interacting with the device.

Fiio confirmed they are working on it so I patiently wait :)

And the sound? I don't do measurements. Everything gets enough power to crack my skull with sheer volume. Sound is clean. I didn't notice that my HD600s started to play differently - colder or warmer tonality. Maybe my 32 years old ears aren't sensitive enough to notice the nuances.

Focal Clear Mgs are fresh and new, so I will post the impressions later.

Nevertheless, K9 Pro is doing it's job - being my central audio processing unit :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #943 of 2,223
I've had the K5 Pro for some time, which I used as part of my main hifi, just as a headphone amp. I'd read a lot about the K9 and waited with interest for the launch. When it came out, I couldn't resist, so I bought one, intending to use it in the desktop system in my office, to drive headphones and some powered monitors. However, I decided to try it out in the hifi first and was so impressed it's now not only the headphone amp, it's replaced the DACs in my streamer and amp. So it's now the hub of the whole system. Sound is always hard to describe, but the K9 Pro is on another level to what I had: so clear, rhythmic, free of any unwanted noise and, above all, so musical. Instruments and voices sound exactly as they should, with all the right overtones and transients, great separation and stereo imaging. I still like the K5 very much, but it's like a toy in comparison. My only criticism of the K9, which has been noted here already, is that it's hard to read the front panel input/output options even in good light. As I'm only switching between headphone and DAC outputs, via a toggle switch, and between coaxial and optical inputs, it's not too much of a hardship. I should be able to do it without the flashlight soon. It's a shame the K9 has this slight design flaw, because it's a beautiful thing to look at.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #944 of 2,223
It's hard for me to compare K9 to other amps since my only other amp is... the BTR5 which is in a completely different league and it's hard to draw a comparison. I wanted a device that would satisfy my moderate needs and I don't plan on buying any other desktop amp. I wanted to reach a certain level and so far that has proven to be satisfactory.

Also somone said, perhaps @FiiO Willson, that K9 Pro has no direct competition. I disagree, there is - Topping DX7 Pro. It's based on ESS Sabre, also a fully balanced construction, and has something which Fiio didn't provide - a remote control. The only criticism from AudioScienceReview is that it has high output impedance for headphones which may or may not affect the headphone's overall tonality.

And so fair I haven't seen anyone from the known english speaking audiophiles to review/do proper measurements for K9 Pro, so people who like to look at graphs and numbers can't compare this device to it's competitors yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back