FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #946 of 2,223
The only thing I am eagerly waiting for is the new firmware and android app with the volume control functionality which is a must when you sit with your tablet away from the AMP and the music plays through speakers/studio monitors. It was a letdown when I paired the K9 with Fiio Control app and I was unable to change the volume without physically interacting with the device.
I tried with the new app version to connect through bluetooth (used usb and coax before). My new android 11 sees the k9pro and the music app connects to it too, and the sound doesn't come off the speaker of the phone as soon as the k9pro is connected, but the k9pro stays quiet - no music. Probably the new app has
a bug there. (wanted to test if I can replace my Sonos connect with Android/FiiO Music App). It seems that other apps (vlc media player, foobar) have the same problem.
so probably the beta15 firmware I have in the moment the reason?

6.jan: just tried on android 8: same problem: no sound on k9pro bt input when playing fiio music app (connection light looks ok and app and android bluetooth say connected)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #949 of 2,223
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

If you have the K9Pro, you could get this support stand for only paying the shipping cost! Please feel free to contact us!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #950 of 2,223
It's hard for me to compare K9 to other amps since my only other amp is... the BTR5 which is in a completely different league and it's hard to draw a comparison. I wanted a device that would satisfy my moderate needs and I don't plan on buying any other desktop amp. I wanted to reach a certain level and so far that has proven to be satisfactory.

Also somone said, perhaps @FiiO Willson, that K9 Pro has no direct competition. I disagree, there is - Topping DX7 Pro. It's based on ESS Sabre, also a fully balanced construction, and has something which Fiio didn't provide - a remote control. The only criticism from AudioScienceReview is that it has high output impedance for headphones which may or may not affect the headphone's overall tonality.

And so fair I haven't seen anyone from the known english speaking audiophiles to review/do proper measurements for K9 Pro, so people who like to look at graphs and numbers can't compare this device to it's competitors yet.
Thank you for your support.
The K9 Pro is not scheduled for review because of the limited quantity (many places are already sold out). So the reviews you see online are basically user reviews.
Our idea is very simple, the number of small, can not do a big publicity, otherwise many users know that can not buy will blame us.
The new K9 Pro ESS version has sufficient quantity and will arrange some professional reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #951 of 2,223
So another batch of my impressions:

It gets warm over time, noticeably, but never hot. It has lots of power, currently I switched to low gain. HD600s are a comfortable listen betwen 25 and 50% of the volume knob. Lately I got my hands on Focal Clear Mg and it's even louder, probably due to it's 50 Ohm impedance compared to HD600s 300 Ohm. I run both headphones via balanced XLR.

I also use it to power my Mangird Tea IEMs via balanced 4.4mm (I also have Fiio FH7 and F9 Pro so I will try them on this device) and a pair of Mackie MR524 studio monitors via balanced XLR in pre-amp mode.

The source of the audio signal is either one of my Android devices via Bluetooth or my Macbook Pro/PC via USB through a KVM switch built into my monitor.

My operating system is either Arch Linux (Manjaro) or MacOS Monterey. Runs smoothly. The only hiccup I noticed is that the IEMs at first got gradually to full power as if the unit decided not to flood it with power right off the bat, and now switching between studio monitors, headphones and sources works seamlessly.

The only thing I am eagerly waiting for is the new firmware and android app with the volume control functionality which is a must when you sit with your tablet away from the AMP and the music plays through speakers/studio monitors. It was a letdown when I paired the K9 with Fiio Control app and I was unable to change the volume without physically interacting with the device.

Fiio confirmed they are working on it so I patiently wait :)

And the sound? I don't do measurements. Everything gets enough power to crack my skull with sheer volume. Sound is clean. I didn't notice that my HD600s started to play differently - colder or warmer tonality. Maybe my 32 years old ears aren't sensitive enough to notice the nuances.

Focal Clear Mgs are fresh and new, so I will post the impressions later.

Nevertheless, K9 Pro is doing it's job - being my central audio processing unit :)
I don't know how your h600s is working on just 25 to 50% of volume knob in lower gain, I tried my hd560s on both 6.5mm and 4.4mm I had to go to mid gain and 1PM(60%) on balanced and 2 PM(~70%),
For sundara mid gain 75% volume on single ended and 60% to 65% on balanced.
Maybe I am missing something is it because k9 produce 1.1w in 300 ohm? Or something is wrong with my unit!
But yeah k9 never got hot to touch even I was covering it with a microfibre cloth, it was just bit warm after some time.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #952 of 2,223
Thank you for your support.
The K9 Pro is not scheduled for review because of the limited quantity (many places are already sold out). So the reviews you see online are basically user reviews.
Our idea is very simple, the number of small, can not do a big publicity, otherwise many users know that can not buy will blame us.
The new K9 Pro ESS version has sufficient quantity and will arrange some professional reviews.
Really sketchy move though, you should have atleast sent some unit to few good reviewers, I bought the k9 pro because I trust fiio after using many fiio products so I felt like taking blind faith on fiio before buying it
. But most of the users are not buying k9 pro is just because there is no reviews available is what I feel.

I believe k9 pro punches way over the price sound way ahead of competition. Many of it buyer can resale them in future but due to lack of reviews the price won't fetch.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #953 of 2,223
Hello, owners of the K9 pro, how are you enjoying the sound? Curious about the sonic presentation...
My opinion here not an audiophile just an old fiio fan. Basically I do not know much about audiophile stuffs so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I really liked the dynamics and soundstage of k9 pro. Its the best I have heard till now, just have zen combo, tr amp, fiio x3 3 and chord mojo for comparison.
I like the bass of k9 pro more have enough punch and dynamics never meddled with lower mids very comparable to chord mojo bass in line mode.
Mids on the k9 is way fwd even than chord mojo which makes the sound coming very natural. Male and female voices sounds like they should and guitars hits and bass plucks are very audible and more fwd than whatever I heard till now.
Highs are very balanced and acurate never became sibilant.

Compared to chord mojo line out to line in of k9, I was hard pressed to find any difference at first but I found K9 is having better details mids and highs are bit more tamed. Compared to chord mojo and its amo section to k9 I found that chord sounded bit dryer and lost some dynamics.

Compared to tramp the k9 pro sound more energetic and mids are way more fwd than tramp. Tramp sounded v shaped compared to k9. Tramp was fatiguing to listen after some hours but k9 was never fatiguing.

Just was bit disappointed that k9 did not sound much better than chord mojo on line out mode to k9 line in mode, may be I was expecting some drumroll magic with k9 i guess.

I have heard the people saying that THX amps are cold and dryer but have high details retrieval. I don't know what woodoo magic fiio did and k9 never sounder cold, dryer and also had enough details.

Over all I like the bit warm and holographic sound of k9 pro its a really worth it investment I have done till now.

Attachments

• 16416278054036546449085555159100.jpg
    16416278054036546449085555159100.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 8, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #955 of 2,223
I don't know how your h600s is working on just 25 to 50% of volume knob in lower gain, I tried my hd560s on both 6.5mm and 4.4mm I had to go to mid gain and 1PM(60%) on balanced and 2 PM(~70%),
For sundara mid gain 75% volume on single ended and 60% to 65% on balanced.
Maybe I am missing something is it because k9 produce 1.1w in 300 ohm? Or something is wrong with my unit!
But yeah k9 never got hot to touch even I was covering it with a microfibre cloth, it was just bit warm after some tI
I will check again, I probably made a mistake and the actual knob position is higher.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #956 of 2,223
Really sketchy move though, you should have atleast sent some unit to few good reviewers, I bought the k9 pro because I trust fiio after using many fiio products so I felt like taking blind faith on fiio before buying it
. But most of the users are not buying k9 pro is just because there is no reviews available is what I feel.

I believe k9 pro punches way over the price sound way ahead of competition. Many of it buyer can resale them in future but due to lack of reviews the price won't fetch.
Oh yeah totally agree with you there. I went into my local headphone shop to buy the liric and only demoed the k9 pro to get it off my bucket list. Its only after hearing that i realised it was something special and bought it instead of the headphone.

Honestly it reminds me alot of the ibasso dx311mk2 on steroids.

Then again i should be thankful for fiio not sending out review copies as i would have never gotten my hands on one due to it being wiped clean within the first week.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #957 of 2,223
Oh yeah totally agree with you there. I went into my local headphone shop to buy the liric and only demoed the k9 pro to get it off my bucket list. Its only after hearing that i realised it was something special and bought it instead of the headphone.

Then again i should be thankful for fiio not sending out review copies as i would have never gotten my hands on one due to it being wiped clean within the first week.
I bought the K9 because of BTR5 and F9 Pro and technical performance of FH7 (but horrible fit for my ears), so I knew that Fiio gives good package, build quality and the sound is satisfactory, and K9 matched all my dac/amp needs and and I heard that if something has an AKM chip it means it's good, so I bought it as soon as a unit appeared at my local audiophile shop. And so far I cannot complain.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #958 of 2,223
Thank you all for your recognition of K9 Pro!
There are other people's messages I also read, so I won't thank them all:)
You are all very objective :beerchug:

Hi, K9 Pro's amount is very small because of DAC and material shortage, you can try to ask your local agent to see if you can buy it.

In case you can't buy it, you can wait for the dual ES9038Pro version, which is expected to go on sale in January or February

Thank you very much for your support!
Thanks I was able to buy one from fiio india site, really loving the product.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #959 of 2,223
I bought the K9 because of BTR5 and F9 Pro and technical performance of FH7 (but horrible fit for my ears), so I knew that Fiio gives good package, build quality and the sound is satisfactory, and K9 matched all my dac/amp needs and and I heard that if something has an AKM chip it means it's good, so I bought it as soon as a unit appeared at my local audiophile shop. And so far I cannot complain.
:beerchug:

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #960 of 2,223

Yeah see where you coming from, but still they should have send a few copies to reviewers as I dont see k9 pro out of stock from most of the sites yet so this means they have made enough copies.
And a single review copy tend to roll between multiple reviewers once they are done with the review in most cases.

I honestly believe a product without a review in 21st century will be always considered sketchy by many peoples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back