FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 11, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #271 of 744

I haven't had it for a full day yet, but I like the Valhalla more. I don't know if it's because the Valhalla drives the HD 650 better, or it's simply the tube flavor. Anyway, that shouldn't be surprising since K5 is a lot cheaper. I don't have the Valhalla on me so I can't do direct comparisons, though. The K5 has its purpose for me since I will be traveling a lot and want something more portable (luggage-wise).

Valhalla like you compared Fiio for sound signature or Fiio give a flatter sound because cant drive the HD650 ?

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #272 of 744
  Valhalla like you compared Fiio for sound signature or Fiio give a flatter sound because cant drive the HD650 ?

I'm not exactly an expert at describing these things, but the Valhalla seems to "open up the sound more" than the K5. That doesn't mean the K5 is bad by any means. The Valhalla is simply a tier above especially if you prefer the "tube sound." It's not a matter of volume, though. The K5 is more than powerful enough to bring the HD 650s to ear-deafening volumes. Even on low gain, I only need to set the volume knob between the 10 and 11 o'clock position. Even in a loud environment, I don't think anyone with healthy ears would even dream of going past 12 o'clock. 

Not sure if this matters, but I tried out X7 + Valhalla and seemed to like it as much if not more than Bifrost Uber + Valhalla. I believe Bifrost has a multibit upgrade now so its potential is much higher. I think Fiio has the DAC department down. I'm curious as to whether they'll venture into the $300-$500 amp range.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #273 of 744
it seems like the docking doesn't work on my K5. i just received the X7 but when i plug it in it does not seem to recognise the dock. am i missing a step?

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #275 of 744
it seems like the docking doesn't work on my K5. i just received the X7 but when i plug it in it does not seem to recognise the dock. am i missing a step?
  Make sure you click it in all the way down, then reboot

wow that's really precise there.
i'll have to modify the case then :/

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #276 of 744

wow that's really precise there.
i'll have to modify the case then :/

have you updated your X7 to the lastest firmware ?

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 11, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #277 of 744

have you updated your X7 to the lastest firmware ?

i did, the issue was simply the case preventing the contact between X7 and docking :)

sounds wonderful, looks great.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #279 of 744

Ah yes, you have to take it out of the leather case. A bit annoying, agreed.

actually if the leather case doesn't go at the bottom of the player, it will work; i just wrote a post in the X7 thread on this :wink:

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #280 of 744

K5 doesn't need any drivers, your X3ii does need a driver :wink:  It's very simple, if you can use your X3ii connected to laptop as USB DAC and it's recognized OK - you just plug it into K5 and it will connect transparently the same way.  If you X3ii is not recognized by your laptop/computer when connected directly with usb to micro-usb cable, then you need to install the latest universal driver (for all X-series DAPs) from FiiO website.  K5 doesn't need any drivers, it's just an amp, not a DAC.

Yep, I'm aware of all of that. My X3ii has been working fine without the K5 in the mix. The X3ii has the latest firmware (V1.4) and I have the latest TUSBAudio asio driver installed on my PC. What I am trying to tell you is the X3ii will not dock with the K5 correctly. It won't plug in, it won't make connection, nothing. Caput. Nada.

After looking at it further it seems like the plug on the K5 dock is at the wrong angle to line up with the X3ii. You can't lean the DAP back far enough to make it line up. I suppose I could try to bend it into the right position but if I break it it's on me, I would rather return it as is. It seems like a wonky setup to me and if it doesn't work correctly now it's only going to get worse with time (not that it can get worse than not working at all)

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #282 of 744

Yep, I'm aware of all of that. My X3ii has been working fine without the K5 in the mix. The X3ii has the latest firmware (V1.4) and I have the latest TUSBAudio asio driver installed on my PC. What I am trying to tell you is the X3ii will not dock with the K5 correctly. It won't plug in, it won't make connection, nothing. Caput. Nada.

After looking at it further it seems like the plug on the K5 dock is at the wrong angle to line up with the X3ii. You can't lean the DAP back far enough to make it line up. I suppose I could try to bend it into the right position but if I break it it's on me, I would rather return it as is. It seems like a wonky setup to me and if it doesn't work correctly now it's only going to get worse with time (not that it can get worse than not working at all)

as you can see, there's a bit of space in the plastic in front of the USB connector. that is because the USB connector can swivel a bit, so i think it will fit.

The one and only USB cable that comes with the K5

thanks, issue has been solved :D

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #284 of 744
I was wondering... Will K5 works fine with Fiio X5ii FW 1.1? I have absolutely no wish to update the firmware, so this is very important question.

FYI, I hate sound quality of the FW 1.2 and especially 1.27beta with passion. What a disappointment!

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #285 of 744
I just bought the k5. I am a newbie to this forum and to this hobby. I got one question can I use the k5 as a stand alone headphone amp. I don't have a dap. I just want to game a little and listen to youtube. now will I have to get a dac or will I have to get a dap Can I hook up some rca cables to my sound card on my pc and just use it like that. If not whats a good dac/amp combo that I can buy for like 150 usd . I am looking at some hifi 400s for headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back