FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 11, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #286 of 744
  I just bought the k5. I am a newbie to this forum and to this hobby. I got one question can I use the k5 as a stand alone headphone amp. I don't have a dap. I just want to game a little and listen to youtube. now will I have to get a dac or will I have to get a dap Can I hook up some rca cables to my sound card on my pc and just use it like that. If not whats a good dac/amp combo that I can buy for like 150 usd . I am looking at some hifi 400s for headphones. 

the K5 is not a DAC or DAP. it will only amplify the sound coming from another source. i can't really advise you on a good combo for 150 usd. for 200 usd the schiit stack seems very popular.

since you have already bought the k5, maybe a 2nd hand x3ii or x5 ii might be within reach?

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #287 of 744

the K5 is not a DAC or DAP. it will only amplify the sound coming from another source. i can't really advise you on a good combo for 150 usd. for 200 usd the schiit stack seems very popular.

since you have already bought the k5, maybe a 2nd hand x3ii or x5 ii might be within reach?

Ok thanks I will RMA the k5 and look at the schiit stack. I really am not interested in a dap. one more question. will the amp work along or will I have to buy both. I really don't care about speakers at this time

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #289 of 744
  They didn't include a 3.5mm right? Do I need to buy a 6.3mm adapter and can it affect the sound?

Please, read K5 reviews, it has 6.3mm Headphone Output and comes with 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter.  Adapter will not affect the sound.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #291 of 744
  I just bought the k5. I am a newbie to this forum and to this hobby. I got one question can I use the k5 as a stand alone headphone amp. I don't have a dap. I just want to game a little and listen to youtube. now will I have to get a dac or will I have to get a dap Can I hook up some rca cables to my sound card on my pc and just use it like that. If not whats a good dac/amp combo that I can buy for like 150 usd . I am looking at some hifi 400s for headphones. 

Yes, you can used K5 as an amp and connect the line in to the line out of you PC sound card. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #292 of 744
How RCA output work?
I was ordered a X3II and wait it delivery to me soon, Now connect K5 with 3.5mm (from PC) to RCA input and plug headphones on K5, but I try to connect RCA output to speaker it's have no sound, How it's work? 

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #294 of 744
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #295 of 744
Well here some pointer for newbie and to those who are not familiar with K5. 

1. K5 is Dedicated Desktop Amp with Docking Facility for Fiio Products (SOME)  -  doesn't have a DAC inbuilt.
2. To Get DAC function user at least need to invest in E17k......So K5+E17k = Amp + DAC Combo....Perfect solution to bypass crappy inbuilt sound option of your PC / Laptop.

3. K5 + X1 = Usage will be to drive high impedance Headphone as bedside / standalone music setup.
4. K5 + X3(ii)/X5(ii)/X7 = See Point 3 above and PC + Mac DAC function Added.  

5. K5 can take any standalone DAC Signal / Line Out from PC / Portable DAP via 'Line In' Port and process, Usage will be to drive high impedance Headphone at ease.

For a Budget POV or stater / newbie - Pick up Fiio K5 + X3 (ii) <----> You get everything.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #296 of 744
I don't think it makes sense to get a dap specifically to just use it as a dac. You can get like an odac and use the line in, that's what I would suggest. If you already have a dap, then you can skip buying a dac.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #297 of 744
In my opinion, K5 makes more sense to get if you already have other FiiO X-series DAPs or E17k DAC/amp - it's a perfect and a very convenient companion for FiiO products which can also be used with other DAPs (as a bonus).

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #298 of 744
The way I'm thinking about it is that what makes an amp great is that its a great amp.  As soon as I have to worry about taking off a protective case, the docking function is useless to me. But... a line out to RCA input is easy to find! With a good amp, you can use any DAC you want. Looking forward to a comparison with other entry level amps like the Magni. (In general, I've found the Magni (1 and 2) to be bright.) Headfonia will have some interesting things to say. I'm sure this is a great deal, excellent build quality, etc... But how does it compare to other amps when its powering a HD650? That's what I'm waiting for. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #299 of 744
  In my opinion, K5 makes more sense to get if you already have other FiiO X-series DAPs or E17k DAC/amp - it's a perfect and a very convenient companion for FiiO products which can also be used with other DAPs (as a bonus).

It's really convenient if you already have one of those daps or the e17k, but even if you don't the k5 is still a strong contender to the O2 amp. The things I prefer in the k5 is that it comes with a quarter inch jack and rca inputs, the layout makes much more sense in a desktop context, the volume knob is nice and big, and there are 3 levels of gain. In the O2, I like the placement of the volume stage and the use of a high quality pot, plus gain and layout and jacks can be customized. It's basically a toss up for me. I'm pretty sure both will be transparent for most headphones. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #300 of 744
James, will a future update make it possible to turn off system sound? When I take a screenshot, or when a system notification happens, the music volume gets lowered for a moment..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back