FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Jan 7, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #166 of 408
Hi,
I got it to work, but if you have the volume right up it would cut out and said it exceeded the power limit.  I think you need a usb hub in between to get around this.  I am hoping that the new L19 FiiO cable may fix this whenever it finally comes out.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #167 of 408

I finally got the K1 to work well with the Nexus 5X and Marshmallow.  All I needed was this OTG cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XHOGEZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

No dropouts.  No power problems.  Occasionally, I have to plug it in twice.  Works well with Spotify, which was my end goal.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #168 of 408
Hi :) could anybody help me decide this question - fiio x1 vs smartphone + k1? I'm mostly interested in sound quality as things like battery life or comfort are not my priorities :) thanks

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #169 of 408
The K1 don't work with all kind of smartphones - so the question is what smartphone do you own? If you look in this thread some report to work and others doesn't and this problem is not a driver issue which is easy to fix with apps like UAPP, HibyMusic or Onkyo HF player, the Android version like 4.4.x or 5.x doesn't matter too.

Few examples:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (4.4.2), Samsung Galaxy S4 (5.1.1) and Sony Xperia Z1 compact (4.4.4 or 5.1.1) don't work. HTC One M9 and iPhone 6s Plus working with K1.

Sound wise the K1 has less hiss as the X1. Power output slightly higher on X1. Output impedance is better on K1, which is for sensitive multi driver IEMs important. SQ equals for both and you need to admit that the X1 is a dedicated DAP and the K1 is "only" as USB DAC/AMP and needs a working source - so choose what you prefer.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #170 of 408
  The K1 don't work with all kind of smartphones - so the question is what smartphone do you own? If you look in this thread some report to work and others doesn't and this problem is not a driver issue which is easy to fix with apps like UAPP, HibyMusic or Onkyo HF player, the Android version like 4.4.x or 5.x doesn't matter too.

Few examples:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (4.4.2), Samsung Galaxy S4 (5.1.1) and Sony Xperia Z1 compact (4.4.4 or 5.1.1) don't work. HTC One M9 and iPhone 6s Plus working with K1.

Sound wise the K1 has less hiss as the X1. Power output slightly higher on X1. Output impedance is better on K1, which is for sensitive multi driver IEMs important. SQ equals for both and you need to admit that the X1 is a dedicated DAP and the K1 is "only" as USB DAC/AMP and needs a working source - so choose what you prefer.

I didn't have luck with Galaxy Note 4 (5.0.1) and Galaxy S5 (5.0.1) either.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #172 of 408

Few examples:

Thanks a lot for clearing things out :) Fiio said that K1 should be compatible with galaxy note 2 that has similar sound setup as my galaxy s3, so I will give it a try. 

One more question - has anybody tried K1 while playing PC games? :D

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #173 of 408
I own a Nexus 6P and XB90EX, is K1 suitable for a basshead like myself?

Right now, I'm managing the audio by ramping up the gain which has it's flaws but I am open to suggestions.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #175 of 408
  I own a Nexus 6P and XB90EX, is K1 suitable for a basshead like myself?

Right now, I'm managing the audio by ramping up the gain which has it's flaws but I am open to suggestions.

Bassheads should be looking into headphones with enhanced low end response and also tweak the EQ to go beyond that
wink.gif
  You want your source to be close to flat, not colored or saturated at any frequency.  Or as an alternative, get a model with hardware Bass Boost switch, like FiiO's Q1.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #176 of 408
  Has anyone compared this to the Schiit Fulla? :)

Please, read my review, all the way down to the end where I have the comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-k1-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac/reviews/14796

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #177 of 408

Bassheads should be looking into headphones with enhanced low end response and also tweak the EQ to go beyond that
wink.gif
  You want your source to be close to flat, not colored or saturated at any frequency.  Or as an alternative, get a model with hardware Bass Boost switch, like FiiO's Q1.

I've already got the first parti (XB90EX is a Bass Boosted IEM). I am not sure without tweaking the EQ(powerAMP), I wouldn't have been much satisfied.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #178 of 408

wink.gif

I've already got the first parti (XB90EX is a Bass Boosted IEM). I am not sure without tweaking the EQ(powerAMP), I wouldn't have been much satisfied.

Under $40 (for K1) and considering you have Nexus 6P (which should be supported, usb otg) and Basshead IEM - you are all set!

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #180 of 408
I suspect most android phones will work when you upgrade to marshmallow...  The USB Audio support is default... Previously phone creators tweaked and implemented it themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back