FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Jan 20, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #196 of 408
How would you be with either making me a cable (I can cover costs), or alternatively a how-to on how you made it?  I have heat-shrink, solder etc, and am happy to do a little DIY.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #197 of 408
  How would you be with either making me a cable (I can cover costs), or alternatively a how-to on how you made it?  I have heat-shrink, solder etc, and am happy to do a little DIY.

I'll post up a DIY thread later today, just off out to get some more parts.

Might take a while to get a cable to NZ from the UK, plus I'm not that good with a solder iron if I'm honest.

It's as simple as green to green, red to red though. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #198 of 408
If you can get me the basic instructions - I should be able to handle it ok from here.  Much obliged!

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #199 of 408
Anyone know how this would work with IEMs?

I have a pretty bad hiss sometimes out of my macbook pro.  I'm using RE-600s.

I just need to get rid of the damn hiss.  Rest of the sound quality concerns aren't a huge issue.  I'm looking at this, the fulla and the Q1.  

Hiss is my main and only sticking point here if anyone has throughts.  I'd love to buy this due to the form factor and price.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #200 of 408

What were you using the E17K with (with the lightning connector).  Extremely interested if I could get it to work with an iPhone 5S.

It's fairly straight forward, I noticed that in the cheap knock off chinese CCKs had a larger white plastic bit compared with the genuine apple version. I dismantled the cable and noticed the chip in the plug itself. I was then just a simple case of soldering on the cables of a micro usb lead to complete the cable.

The black rubber bulb is just Sugru the moulding rubber stuff to protect the flimsy usb cables.

I wasn't sure if it was common knowledge about the Chinese CCK cables and whether other people had made their own mini CCKs or not - if it's not I might post up a thread when I make my next one.

Here's a picture of  another one I made for the E17K before I sent it back.

Way cool! You soldered it? Damn I need to take the risk and do that myself (never did any soldering). 

UPDATE FOR NEXUS 6 USERS/SHORT CABLE: I may have found the short cable (usb c to micro usb, 1ft) we were looking for to use with the Nexus 6 or similar. BUT I still didn't get it. When I do, I will report back if it does work or not.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QK6WPQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2GQ4BXGICGUW5

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #204 of 408
10K is far better, k1 just amplifies the sound. I tested both at the same time.

I have to disagree with you on this. In terms of my iPhone 6 the K1 has made a marked improvement in sound quality, whilst there is a increase in volume it's not huge.

I believe the K1 uses the same dac chip as the E17K and E10k but with less amplification and control over the sound - bass, treble with an external volume control on the E17k.

I returned the E17k after a comparison with the K1, I didn't need the extra power of the E17k for my Flare R2As. The K1 is incredibly compact.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #205 of 408
E17k for my ears is under e10k. In this conversation is about 1k vs e10k. If u want portability, yes...the k1 is perfect but if u want someting special like soundstange, microdetail...tiny bass and sweet treble, i recomand q1 or e10k. Q1 uses same chip like e10k.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #207 of 408
I was simply disagreeing with your point about amplification, the K1 doesn't just amplify the sound.

I had the Q1 and E17K side by side - Q1 is slightly inferior to the E17K, plus it's curved shape makes it a pain to stack. I then got the K1 after sending the Q1 back. In comparison with the E17k in flat mode apart from the better volume control and being able to adjust the bass/treble there was little to choose between them with my Flare Audios. The K1 is also quite happy to power my Oppo PM3s but I have a modded Little Dot/Dac Magic 100 set up for home use which is my go to with the PM3s.

Regarding the chips - Q1, K1, E10K and E17K all use the same TI PCM5102 chip, or at least that's what Amazon says.

I guess it'll come down to amplification and what headphones Dokiace is planning to use with them. The Q1, E17K and K1 are all brilliant - I'm guessing the E10K is as well.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #209 of 408
Ok, i understend your point.
Check this http://soundnews.ro/2015/11/27/fiio-q1-english-review/

Is very interesting:)

He lost me when he stated this:

I observed small changes to sound reproduction when the device is just turned on and it’s cold comparing to when it’s warm at touch and is runing for some time. When just turned on it sounds less analogic, digital glare is more obvious, bass does not go as deep, and mids do not have substance and are not full sounding. After 30 minutes of warming everything comes back, microdetails are more apparent, sound is becoming like a fluid and listening pleasure returns.

Personally - not a review I'd trust. YMMV.

Could be I just have lousy ears - but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has similar experience to the reviewer, and really interested if they could measure the frequency changes on cold start and again 30 minutes later.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #210 of 408
Depends, if u have elephant ears :) maybe hear diference. In some cases this argument is not available but....for me is logic, beacuse every devices when is warm, sounds better than if it is cold. I notes that my matrix mini i pro sound better when is warm,sound more analogic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back