FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 23, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #91 of 408
  IIRC, most (newer) smartphone have a 100mA cut off point for OTG devices, so normally K1 won't be supported once the smartphone OS detects that K1 is requesting too much power (150mA, as mentioned). There is however a way to bypass this, and you need a 'micro USB hub' (see picture below). It will help to stop the smartphone from correctly detecting the OTG device's power requirement. It doesn't always work (especially if the USB OTG device uses a ton of power), but in the case of K1, it will, as I already tried it. However, just because it works doesn't mean K1 isn't using too much power - it will drain the smartphone battery very fast and you might only see an hours or two of use time. However, you can connect a power bank to the micro USB hub to power the K1 directly and it will stop it from drain the smartphone too fast.
51YdnXRjS2L._SX425_.jpg

p/s: K1 does pick up EMI from smartphone quite easily, so that is another reason you probably won't want to use it for OTG purpose.

Does the power input on this micro usb otg hub only power the usb devices or can it charge the phone as well? I haven't been able to find one which does charge my phone too, my cambridge audio dacmagic xs is quite power hungry, and it's an issue especially when binge watching netflix in bed

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #92 of 408

IIRC, most (newer) smartphone have a 100mA cut off point for OTG devices, so normally K1 won't be supported once the smartphone OS detects that K1 is requesting too much power (150mA, as mentioned). There is however a way to bypass this, and you need a 'micro USB hub' (see picture below). It will help to stop the smartphone from correctly detecting the OTG device's power requirement. It doesn't always work (especially if the USB OTG device uses a ton of power), but in the case of K1, it will, as I already tried it. However, just because it works doesn't mean K1 isn't using too much power - it will drain the smartphone battery very fast and you might only see an hours or two of use time. However, you can connect a power bank to the micro USB hub to power the K1 directly and it will stop it from drain the smartphone too fast.

51YdnXRjS2L._SX425_.jpg

p/s: K1 does pick up EMI from smartphone quite easily, so that is another reason you probably won't want to use it for OTG purpose.

Does the power input on this micro usb otg hub only power the usb devices or can it charge the phone as well? I haven't been able to find one which does charge my phone too, my cambridge audio dacmagic xs is quite power hungry, and it's an issue especially when binge watching netflix in bed

K1 is not power hungry and it doesn't work with any Android devices I tested (S5, Note 4, and Nexus 7 tablets) even using usb otg hub and external battery.

It drains 40 mA in idle:

and 50 mA under HO load:

and doesn't work with usb otg hub and ext battery, neither using stock Galaxy audio app, or Neutron, or USB Audio Pro or HibyMusic (w/their own proprietary drivers):

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #94 of 408
Really hope this works with my M9

I seriously doubt.  If it doesn't work with Sammy, why do you think it will work with HTC?  This is Android issue, not a specific manufacturer issue.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #96 of 408
Have you had success with other Amp/Dacs such as the Fiio e18 on your Samsung?

Tested and reviewed too many, should be all in my DAC/USB DAC/AMP section of review index: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755971/twister6-audio-review-index-the-past-the-present-and-the-future#user_dac-amp

Aegis works (but draws a lot of current, not practical), Q1 works (but need to use UAPP or Hiby with their drivers), HA-2 works, dSp works, Dragonfly works (but only with UAPP and Hiby apps), Astrapi works, E18 works, Cayin C5DAC works, Beyerdynamic A200p works.  You can even use the latest DX80 dap as usb otg dac/amp.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #98 of 408

K1 is not power hungry and it doesn't work with any Android devices I tested (S5, Note 4, and Nexus 7 tablets) even using usb otg hub and external battery.

It drains 40 mA in idle:

and 50 mA under HO load:

and doesn't work with usb otg hub and ext battery, neither using stock Galaxy audio app, or Neutron, or USB Audio Pro or HibyMusic (w/their own proprietary drivers):

But for USB DAC's that do work like my CA Dacmagic XS, does your micro usb hub allow charging the phone at the same time as powering the DAC? I am getting conflicting answers

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #99 of 408

It drains 40 mA in idle:

and 50 mA under HO load:

But for USB DAC's that do work like my CA Dacmagic XS, does your micro usb hub allow charging the phone at the same time as powering the DAC? I am getting conflicting answers

This particular usb otg hub (and probably majority of them) serves a purpose of connecting multiple peripheral devices to your smartphone while using external battery to power up these devices, not to charge the phone.  Here is another "working" example with FULLA which gobbles a lot of current (close to 150 mA), and can actually work with my Note 4 and external battery through this hub, and as you can see my phone is not charging.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #101 of 408
Is the Q1 the way to go over the k1 overall?

If you want android support (using UAPP or Hiby type of apps that utilize their own usb drivers) - yes for Q1.  I didn't get a chance to a/b in my review since I was focusing more on other "thumb-drive" footprint usb-dacs for comparison, but they should be on par...  Actually, just did a quick K1 vs Q1 comparison and K1 has a little more sparkle and wider soundstage while Q1 is smother and low end extends a little deeper.  But overall similar.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #102 of 408
  Cool - hope the E12A works for you.  As an update, I picked up the FiiO Q1, which was plug and play with the Nexus 6P.  And the sound was dramatically improved - highly recommended.  Here is the cable that I ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUBRX0Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00  

Well while I wait until I'm able to get the Q1/K1, I've set up the E12A with a new pair of Senns, the PX100II (after some nice recommendation from Lord Knows Who, God Bless Him :) ) which are awesome to my ear (and budget!) and connected the pair to the Nexus 6P and woow. GREAT improvement. Honestly, I didn't try the PX100II connected directly to the Nexus 6P yet; but I can say that now I'm not lacking quality or output power, and I only tried Spotify. Happy!

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #104 of 408

If you want android support (using UAPP or Hiby type of apps that utilize their own usb drivers) - yes for Q1.  I didn't get a chance to a/b in my review since I was focusing more on other "thumb-drive" footprint usb-dacs for comparison, but they should be on par...  Actually, just did a quick K1 vs Q1 comparison and K1 has a little more sparkle and wider soundstage while Q1 is smother and low end extends a little deeper.  But overall similar.

Thanks. I'll go K1, not gonna use this with my phone.

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #105 of 408

My Nexus 6p is plug and play working with any application on either the Fiio Q1 or HRT MicroStreamer. The 6p has USB C and connects using a straight USB cable, not OTG. It also runs Android Marshmallow OS.
These are the portable DACs I have but it seems like this phone would work with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back