FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 17, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #76 of 408

Yes, would be good to have a simple solution.  Btw, googled and found that HifimeDYI UD80 uses the same Savitech SA9023A usb receiver and can be connected to usb otg (compatible with Android devices).

Btw, K1 only draws 40mA of current (the same as Astrapi and less than dSp), so it's not an issue of drawing too much power.

Wouldn't that current draw increase with headphones connected and the volume turned up?

Just another 10mA of current bump.  Obviously I can't play anything from my phone because it doesn't pair up, so no playback.  But connected to my laptop with iBasso headphone load at max volume it only goes up to 50mA.

Btw, that PortaPow USB voltage/current monitor is the most accurate I have tried.  Actually, I wrote a more detailed review here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/review-portapow-usb-voltage-current-t3190373

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #77 of 408
Can anyone here tell me how well this is likely to drive a Stax SRD-X transformer? I've searched but can't find any info about the Stax' input resistance - the scanned manual I downloaded from Hifi-Manuals.com didn't list it. Got an old SRD-X and Lambda Pros I bought in the late 1980s that I drive from my 2012 Macbook Pro, and I'm wondering whether the K1 might provide a cleaner signal into the SRD-X than the MBP's audio-out port. All I really need is the DAC, and don't need it to be portable. Would a FIIO D03K be better at about the same price?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #78 of 408
This looks awesome and more affordable than the astrapi. Now if only I knew how to get ahold of that L19 cable, I'd probably buy it asap. How does the clarity of this compare to the astrapi? From twisters review it looks like this has more bass emphasis?

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #79 of 408
I need one of those for my Surface 3. The headphone output is sadly crap (sadly because the rest of the tablet is amazing and even the built-in speakers are excellent - although lacking in bass of course). It picks up plenty of noise from the internals and even has some noticeable distortion with my sensitive IEM :frowning2:

Seems hard to get one in Europe so far though. And amazon.com won't ship this specific item to France (and it's not in the .fr or .co.uk shop so far). Guess I'll have to be patient and drag my Xonar U7 around for now. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #80 of 408
@kalston

Can you try from Amazon.de if it ships to your region, or the German FiiO web shop directly fiio-shop.de , because I can select France as shipping destination.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #81 of 408
  @kalston

Can you try from Amazon.de if it ships to your region, or the German FiiO web shop directly fiio-shop.de , because I can select France as shipping destination.

Oooh, amazon.de does ship it to France! Wish I had noticed earlier as I'm going away for a bit now :p I'll pick it up when I get back from my holiday.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #82 of 408
I'm gald to hear that this works for you. Enjoy your K1 soon, best bang for your bucks in the 50 Euro sector for this kind of form factor and perfomance, this will be a good match with your Surface 3 too.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #84 of 408
@twister6

Here my results now with a passive USB hub and FiiO K1 and my Samsung S4 with UAPP (I used like you the iBasso dummy load):

Compare with HRT dSp:

/EDIT:

If I connect the passive USB Hub and the HRT dSP I get 0,12 A and 0,60 W so the FiiO K1 needs less, like you said. Strange, why every Smartphone and Tablet tell me this device needs more power to work properly? I don't get it.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #86 of 408
Do any of you guys know if this works with the HTC One m9? I've had success with the fiio e18.

E18 has official usb otg support to work with android smarpthones, K1 doesn't.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #88 of 408
Oh so there's a chance it might work although it might have some issues?

You might say that. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

3+ years, over 500 pages - not posts, pages - and still going strong. I guess 'issues' is one word for what may await you  :wink:

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #90 of 408
K1 or Q1, that is the question.

I really just want something that will isolate the sound outside my pc and laptop. Probably won't see much use on my phone, is there really any perceivable difference on sound between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back