FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #526 of 597
Just got hold of a pair of JT1’s, fairly impressed for the price, mids and vocals sound ok ( to me ) top end at times can be a bit too much for me, that I can sort with a bit of trial and error with thin foam discs, my question is on the bass side. It’s got enough bass but I personally find it a bit loose and needs tightening up a touch, has anyone done any modding on these yet ? I’m going to strip them down later and have a play with the cups and drivers, just wanted a heads up if anyone has had a go yet ?

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #527 of 597
IMG_1224.jpegIMG_1223.jpegIMG_1222.jpegSo taken apart the JT1’s, interesting finding the back of the cup has a foam disc at the back and once taken apart the front grill has holes and the inside has a layer of speaker style mesh cover on one side and the foam disc on the other, I’d say slightly semi open as opposed to closed ? To say they are a budget set they have spent some time on tuning these due to the mesh / foam etc. These are going to be an interesting mod, will post any findings later if I make any improvements to them, it’s mainly the bass tightening I’m looking at. If your happy with what you hear out of the box then leave them alone 🤣

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #528 of 597
The foam disc is actually a neoprene type foam and solid, thin but solid and after pushing some air through it hardly lets any through ( really really minimal) so what’s the mesh in the other side for ? Dust protection, probably not as it’s sealed and the inner disc won’t let any through anyway, going to have to leave it for a while the wife has planned a meal out and I have to go unfortunately 🤣. Last words I heard was I hope your not planning to mess with those all night, so i better leave for now and return tomorrow when i get more time 👍
One thing to note is the pads, they are swappable as they just go over the fixing ring and there’s no glue so this can be a source of further tuning later down the line or maybe for those who don’t want to open up but have a pad mod with velours / full leather / hybrids. I know this all may sound a bit overkill for a set of headphones costing £60 but the same was said about the Fostex 50’s years ago and look where that went !
I get more of a buzz getting a cheap pair to sound outstanding rather than buying a expensive pair that should be outstanding and sometimes isn’t as we all know, they do scale pretty well with a bit of power going through them as well, for my testing I’m using them on balanced via my M15s.
image.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #529 of 597
IMG_1227.jpegIMG_1228.jpegPicking up from yesterday…
Assuming the neoprene disc is for damping purposes I thought I’d leave that area alone as I’m not trying to change the signature of what Fiio have tuned but just tweak the bass and maybe the top end slightly. So I added dynamat extreme around the plastic gap area around the outer edge to hopefully eliminate any reflections at the back, also added a bit more weight to the back of the driver with some adhesive lead strips, being careful not to block any holes on the driver and not inside the cups at the side where the bass port is. I’ve had the drivers burning in overnight, still will need more time but thought I’d give them a head start. Going to re build and have a test see what’s changed before I make anymore tweaks.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #530 of 597
Re built and been on a further driver burn overnight, slightly thicker leather angled pads installed ( my ears were quite close to the drivers with stock) I’ll be A/B testing with these and stock pads and later with some velours I have coming today, will post later what my findings are. Just to note though it’s what I’m going to hear, no graphs or super technical jargon just my opinion on what they sound like modded and with the selection of pads I’m rolling.
They ain’t going to change into some £1000 + headphone killers, I’m hoping for a bit tighter and sub / mid bass separation and a bit more spaciousness, not wanting too much from a pair of £60 headphones 🤣IMG_1229.jpeg

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #531 of 597
IMG_1230.jpegIMG_1231.jpegIMG_1232.jpegVelours have arrived and came with a selection of tuning discs, also decided to buy a case for them as the bag supplied is ok I guess but the wife has Maine Coon cats and they like cables and soft headphone pads to play with and they have very big sharp claws, anyway £18 for the case and cable bag isn’t bad and will always get used. Let the rolling commence and findings will be reported back later 👍

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #532 of 597
Dear @FiiO

I've just received the FT3 I purchased from your official Aliexpress store, How can I find out if the headphone I received has the limited Furukawa monocrystalline copper cable? Is there any way to check this?

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #533 of 597
Just got hold of a pair of JT1’s, fairly impressed for the price, mids and vocals sound ok ( to me ) top end at times can be a bit too much for me, that I can sort with a bit of trial and error with thin foam discs, my question is on the bass side. It’s got enough bass but I personally find it a bit loose and needs tightening up a touch, has anyone done any modding on these yet ? I’m going to strip them down later and have a play with the cups and drivers, just wanted a heads up if anyone has had a go yet ?
Their bass extends really low (at least down to 20Hz) and the sub-bass is a little too strong for my taste around 25-30Hz. There's also the bump at 100Hz. This can be dealt with using EQ.

My best EQ setting for the FiiO JT1 (so far):
1704151924276.png

They sound really great with the XDuoo XD05 Plus, not so great on my primary setup (Topping L30II - amp; SMSL PO 100 AK - DAC).
Better bass control and punch on the XDuoo.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #534 of 597
Dear @FiiO

I've just received the FT3 I purchased from your official Aliexpress store, How can I find out if the headphone I received has the limited Furukawa monocrystalline copper cable? Is there any way to check this?

Thanks.
Dear friend,

Did you buy the 350ohm version? If yes, the cable comes with your FT3 is using the the limited Furukawa monocrystalline copper cable.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #537 of 597
So I’ve had more time with the JT1’s here’s my final findings, don’t forget it’s my ears that are hearing the findings so it’s only a guide line and not a forced opinion. Drivers have had 4 days burn in ( some believe this is needed some don’t) I’m happy with the internal mods I’ve done and have noticed a good enough difference to validate doing it with tighter bass and more separation between the sub bass and the mid bass and not just a bass thump, mids and top end are quite revealing and sound very good especially instrument separation and vocals are nice and clear and there’s no top end shrill at all, this might be due to the burn in as well as the mods / pad rolling I’ve done. Even though they are easy to drive they do scale well with a bit more power going through them, pad rolling does have quite an impact on the sound, stock pads are good with the mods see prior comments but where they seem to sound the best is using a set of Denon AH pads which give them a low end punch of tight bass and great mid bass you can hear the strum of the bass guitar and vocals have sparkle but when I swapped over to a pair of flat velours they hit a sweet spot with a refined bass not as low as the denon pads but still plenty of bass just a more refined type, you can hear the different types of bass instruments better, vocals again clear and precise and top end lush with a hint of warmth to it, they sound nicely open sounding with the velours on, basically you sacrifice a bit of low end punch but gain in everything else and I highly recommend trying out a pair of thin velours with the internals modded or not. These headphones are sold as closed back but I’d say they are more semi open which is actually a good thing as it gives them a nice bit of breathing space and doesn’t sound like your getting the music forced into your ears. Highly recommended set of headphones for the price even without any mods or pad rolling, but i definitely recommend trying the velours especially if you find the bass a bit on the heavy side in stock configuration.
Just to add the original thick angled pads I tried are a no no they give it too much boom in the bass, whatever pads you decide to roll keep the thickness to the same type as stock so your ears aren’t too far off the drivers 👍
IMG_1241.jpegIMG_1242.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #538 of 597
So I’ve had more time with the JT1’s here’s my final findings, don’t forget it’s my ears that are hearing the findings so it’s only a guide line and not a forced opinion. Drivers have had 4 days burn in ( some believe this is needed some don’t) I’m happy with the internal mods I’ve done and have noticed a good enough difference to validate doing it with tighter bass and more separation between the sub bass and the mid bass and not just a bass thump, mids and top end are quite revealing and sound very good especially instrument separation and vocals are nice and clear and there’s no top end shrill at all, this might be due to the burn in as well as the mods / pad rolling I’ve done. Even though they are easy to drive they do scale well with a bit more power going through them, pad rolling does have quite an impact on the sound, stock pads are good with the mods see prior comments but where they seem to sound the best is using a set of Denon AH pads which give them a low end punch of tight bass and great mid bass you can hear the strum of the bass guitar and vocals have sparkle but when I swapped over to a pair of flat velours they hit a sweet spot with a refined bass not as low as the denon pads but still plenty of bass just a more refined type, you can hear the different types of bass instruments better, vocals again clear and precise and top end lush with a hint of warmth to it, they sound nicely open sounding with the velours on, basically you sacrifice a bit of low end punch but gain in everything else and I highly recommend trying out a pair of thin velours with the internals modded or not. These headphones are sold as closed back but I’d say they are more semi open which is actually a good thing as it gives them a nice bit of breathing space and doesn’t sound like your getting the music forced into your ears. Highly recommended set of headphones for the price even without any mods or pad rolling, but i definitely recommend trying the velours especially if you find the bass a bit on the heavy side in stock configuration.
Just to add the original thick angled pads I tried are a no no they give it too much boom in the bass, whatever pads you decide to roll keep the thickness to the same type as stock so your ears aren’t too far off the drivers 👍
IMG_1241.jpegIMG_1242.jpeg
Dear friend,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back