FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #196 of 603
And
After listening to the FiiO FT3 headphones at CanJam Singapore, under less than ideal conditions mind you, I was impressed enough with their price to performance ratio to order a pair for my very own. Well they arrived this afternoon and I have been putting them their paces for the past couple of hours.

The biggest standout of me is that the FT3's bang of the buck is simply of the charts! Here's just a short list of why I feel this way.

1) The included at no extra charge metal headphone stand - WOW!
2) The included high quality cable, various adaptors, carrying case and second set of easily replaceable earpads.
3) The outstanding build quality
4) Comfort
5) Large dynamic driver which leads to...
6) A very nice overall sound quality.

So far I've been listening to FT3s using either my Oppo HA-1 desktop amp or the FiiO M11 Plus DAP, both of these with balanced output. In spite of their relatively high impedance (350 ohms) the M11 Plus drives them with plenty of room to spare. I am using Roon and have crossfeed enabled in the DSP settings.

I did a brief comparison of the FT3 with the Focal Clear MG and the Seenheiser HD800 and while the FT3 fell a little short of matching the sonic qualities of these heavy hitters, the thing to remember is that these relatively inexpensive headphones only "fell a little short". In order words I didn't switch headphones and notice a night and day difference. Sure there were differences but nothing earth shaking and nothing that made me pull the FT3s off my head while saying "well there goes $300 down the drain!" No instead I'm sitting amazed how just how much these $300 headphones are going to impact the under $500 headphone market. Yes they are that good!
what's the difference sith the clear mg?

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #200 of 603
About $1,200 and an overall better sound. :smile:

However the FT3 and the Clear MG use the same type of cable connectors so the cables are interchangeable.
Or.. the art of saying nothing... while I can admit tha the punch and the dunamics of the clear are outstandig, I personally found the tuning being extremely lacking of sparkle. The cost of european production, the magnesium and the historical focal's branding can justify the price of their clear mg, but I think that tonally a lot of cheaper hp can do a lot better.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #201 of 603
Or.. the art of saying nothing... while I can admit tha the punch and the dunamics of the clear are outstandig, I personally found the tuning being extremely lacking of sparkle. The cost of european production, the magnesium and the historical focal's branding can justify the price of their clear mg, but I think that tonally a lot of cheaper hp can do a lot better.
Sorry about being a little snipy but I really didn't intend for my listening impressions to be taken as a full review. As I said the FT3s are impressive in that they are good enough to even be considered alongside the Focal ClearMGs. The differences between most $300 headphones and the more costly headphones, like the ClearMG or the HD 800, are usually much greater. I would suggest waiting a bit until more of the full, formal reviews of the FT3 begin to appear. I'm quite curious to see if my early impressions are proven correct. Should be interesting to say the least.

Apr 10, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #202 of 603
Here is my video about FT3

In short. I build quality and overall design are on a great level. Wearing comfort is great (at least for my head/ears :) ). Sound also hits my "optimal preferences": neutral, but not dull, comfortable, but not "totally smoothed". Pads gives two options that are viably different to enjoy both (but I like pleather more)

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #205 of 603
Apr 11, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #206 of 603
@FiiO

Please, release larger pads for FT3.
The current pads aren't large enough. They hit the ears.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #208 of 603
What do you think about the sound quality?

Overall, I would say that it's ok. It has good low extension, but it's smooth and hence lack a bit of treble some may expect. What I dislike the most is its intimate sound. In addition, its total weight may be a problem that migth ruin the experience for some.

All in all, I'm glad Fiio has released its first attempt, but there is better options for cheaper.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #209 of 603
Overall, I would say that it's ok. It has good low extension, but it's smooth and hence lack a bit of treble some may expect. What I dislike the most is its intimate sound. In addition, its total weight may be a problem that migth ruin the experience for some.

All in all, I'm glad Fiio has released its first attempt, but there is better options for cheaper.
Examples?

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #210 of 603
@FiiO

Please, release larger pads for FT3.
The current pads aren't large enough. They hit the ears.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We have reported your feedback to the engineer. And they are planning and assessing about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back