FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #49 of 595
Will there be a closed back version?

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #54 of 595
Just judging by the apparent quality of the included accessories, FiiO sure seem to be putting forth a solid effort to deliver something special. Fingers crossed...
when I saw the accessories, structure, design, I thought a minimum price of 600 dollars. when I saw that it was 300 dollars, it immediately occurred to me that his voice would probably be generic, ordinary. Which is fine, it's still worth the $300.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #55 of 595
Am I the only one who sees this?
1679662029243.png

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #57 of 595
An unbiased reviewer will tells us if it is any good.

At the moment, it's just a blind buy at 300 bucks.

I hope it is good.

Blind bought directly from Fiio and just got it an hour ago from DHL. I’m actually impressed, it’s one of the few HPs I like straight out of the gate with no EQ which is very, very rare (I usually always throw a SLIGHT v-shape/electronic setting curve on all my phones). Came with a headphone stand which was a nice bonus, I don’t believe that was in the official accessories description. Default is squishy suede/velour pads which are comfy but came with a second pair of leather-like pads and they are snap-on like Focal which is civilized. They look so much like Focal I got excited a second thinking I could throw a Focal pad on to experiment but Focal is more oval shaped so didn’t quite fit. A plethora of connectors including 3.5mm to 4.4 and 4.4 to XLR although I won’t ever use those on my balanced amps. Decent faux leather carrying bag too although the tan color is a bit weird for Fiio’s traditional black scheme.

Soundwise, running it off a Sony Tazzy with the velour pads, I’d say it’s a neutral-forward / mid-centric sound with a slight touch of darkness & warmth, not a whole lot of deep sub-bass and slam is non-existent, but it is also non-fatiguing without intense bright highs either. My best way to describe it is it very much resembles the Sennheiser HD6xx series with a lifted veil. I won’t say it blows my socks off but it’s a nice smooth sound. Not a lot of big dynamics compared to say Focal but that’s not a bad thing either as they can be a chore after an hour of listening. Soundstage is about smallish to medium size in height and width, not artificially wide or too constrained. Instrument separation is good though even though it’s a smaller sound stage, listening to the Castlevania Symphony of the Night soundtrack I’m able to discern slight little details in the distance at lower volumes like the ringing of a bell or whimsical flutes. I’d describe it as like being in the back of the middle rows of an orchestra.

Threw on the faux leather pads. Do not like. Unexpectedly I actually lost bass response and sound become a lot brighter and sibilant. Pass. Velours are comfier and more neutral.

Overall for a first attempt by FiiO at an overhead headphone, I give it a solid 7.5/8 out of 10. I’d say these are the kind of headphones to listen to while you’re at your computer desk working away and need some background distraction but not laser focused on music analysis. I kind of suspect the target partner product for this headphone is their new all-in-one Android desktop amp box which intrigues me. Also bear in mind my Sony amp is very warm with analog-like distortion, I suspect if you pair this with something dead neutral like a topping it will give you an equally flat-curve response. Just didn’t have time to try it with other amps right now.

Nice Fibonacci grill too above the drivers :)

Attachments

• 467364CD-7125-475A-8D08-48E8BD9D27CF.jpeg
    467364CD-7125-475A-8D08-48E8BD9D27CF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #58 of 595
Blind bought directly from Fiio and just got it an hour ago from DHL. I’m actually impressed, it’s one of the few HPs I like straight out of the gate with no EQ which is very, very rare (I usually always throw a SLIGHT v-shape/electronic setting curve on all my phones). Came with a headphone stand which was a nice bonus, I don’t believe that was in the official accessories description. Default is squishy suede/velour pads which are comfy but came with a second pair of leather-like pads and they are snap-on like Focal which is civilized. They look so much like Focal I got excited a second thinking I could throw a Focal pad on to experiment but Focal is more oval shaped so didn’t quite fit. A plethora of connectors including 3.5mm to 4.4 and 4.4 to XLR although I won’t ever use those on my balanced amps. Decent faux leather carrying bag too although the tan color is a bit weird for Fiio’s traditional black scheme.

Soundwise, running it off a Sony Tazzy with the velour pads, I’d say it’s a neutral-forward / mid-centric sound with a slight touch of darkness & warmth, not a whole lot of deep sub-bass and slam is non-existent, but it is also non-fatiguing without intense bright highs either. My best way to describe it is it very much resembles the Sennheiser HD6xx series with a lifted veil. I won’t say it blows my socks off but it’s a nice smooth sound. Not a lot of big dynamics compared to say Focal but that’s not a bad thing either as they can be a chore after an hour of listening. Soundstage is about smallish to medium size in height and width, not artificially wide or too constrained. Instrument separation is good though even though it’s a smaller sound stage, listening to the Castlevania Symphony of the Night soundtrack I’m able to discern slight little details in the distance at lower volumes like the ringing of a bell or whimsical flutes. I’d describe it as like being in the back of the middle rows of an orchestra.

Threw on the faux leather pads. Do not like. Unexpectedly I actually lost bass response and sound become a lot brighter and sibilant. Pass. Velours are comfier and more neutral.

Overall for a first attempt by FiiO at an overhead headphone, I give it a solid 7.5/8 out of 10. I’d say these are the kind of headphones to listen to while you’re at your computer desk working away and need some background distraction but not laser focused on music analysis. I kind of suspect the target partner product for this headphone is their new all-in-one Android desktop amp box which intrigues me. Also bear in mind my Sony amp is very warm with analog-like distortion, I suspect if you pair this with something dead neutral like a topping it will give you an equally flat-curve response. Just didn’t have time to try it with other amps right now.

Thanks for this review. They may work well for me. I’m after a headphone that I can use with the fiio m17 while I work at my desk all day. Comfortable and non fatiguing is very important

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #59 of 595

Thank you for your prompt review.
From what you said, FT3 is a good headphones.

My only concern might be its soundstage. Let's check how it will pair with my amps.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back