FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #241 of 597
what bite? Read carefully and critically and you'll discover confuse statements like:

- the opposite of the opposite "bla bla ...I just felt like at 350Ω, the FT3 would perform much better with less power than it requires. You might think this is a negative, but I consider it a positive. It essentially is me saying the FT3 scales massively in a good way." and "These headphones do not change with warm-sounding amplifiers and DACs, it is very stubborn. I cannot easily change the tonality offerings of this model, which are sterile and monitor-like in tonality. Warm amps don’t alter the sterile sound signature" What??

- and "The FT3 has a studio-monitor headphone sterility to it, ...However, it is not snappy, impactful, icy, or annoyingly thin feeling (when properly powered)"

- "Imagine if the HD800 (if you have heard it before) were thick feeling and had a great low-end rumble and heft to it, as well as the treble reduced in quantity but improved in overall weight factor." trad: imagine a 5 time costing hp and change everything... What? who needs this comparison?

- "I am rocking upward of a +10dB and the headphones are almost mystically staying in excellent control. FiiO, those drivers are crazy responsive to alterations, in the best way possible" whyyyyyy?

- and the surprise "Weight factor and heft once again alter with more voltage" ... but never mind: you can eq... everybody here is saying that bass is well above neutrality... but the guy adds power and 10 db, devouring all the spectrum in a wormhole of bass...

- MIDS: "1- The FT3 is not overly forward, it certainly looms a step or two pushed back and is quite relaxing in placement. 2 - But this is odd, in a good way. 3 - (comparisons with +1000 costing hp) and (LOL) "This FT3 isn’t quite “relaxed” though, it is right between forward and middle ground, so I am not sure if I could call it still as overly forward" and "The Vocals are moderately weighty, but (!) the tone of the FT3 is sterile and clinical"

-HIGHS: "The FT3 treble can get a little tizzy at times and struggles with fast-paced music tracks." and "the top side sheen is lovely and enjoyable. Gently bright, my favorite type of treble" please decide, man...

then he continues with a comparison against an electrostatic system and a discontinued horrible pair of headphone (X2) not worth the 90 $ it costs, a comparison with the hd6xx (but the timbre is not mentioned), and the worst Hifiman planar of all times. A comparison with the real benchmark (the Sundara)? No way. with the R70X? no way. It was too useful... instead we have a bunch of nonsense statements and a malicious mind could ask why... but I'm ingenuous like a child and and I wanna leave the speculation to others...

C'mon bite. the Headphone Show and their no-nonsense reviews will remain my benchmark.

Oh, excuse me. A good subjective review would not need any scientific evidence, but this...
Not trying to start a fight here. I literally just wanted to know what you thought was contradictory in this review and why you think scientific evidence was needed to support a subjective review. You think this reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about and I wanted to know why. Thanks for clarifying.

I think he was trying to describe some nuances in the FT3's behavior and to express that this headphone surprised him--in mostly a good way.

As far as the bite thing goes... It's a fishing analogy. It seemed like you might have been fishing for someone to challenge your assertions. None of the other fish around here were biting, so I said I would. Lost in translation, I guess. It was just an expression.

Judging by the way you unloaded on me, I think you're glad I bit.

Anyway... We all hear things differently.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #242 of 597
Not trying to start a fight here. I literally just wanted to know what you thought was contradictory in this review and why you think scientific evidence was needed to support a subjective review. You think this reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about and I wanted to know why. Thanks for clarifying.

I think he was trying to describe some nuances in the FT3's behavior and to express that this headphone surprised him--in mostly a good way.

As far as the bite thing goes... It's a fishing analogy. It seemed like you might have been fishing for someone to challenge your assertions. None of the other fish around here were biting, so I said I would. Lost in translation, I guess. It was just an expression.

Judging by the way you unloaded on me, I think you're glad I bit.

Anyway... We all hear things differently.
Opinions make us humans. I'm always happy to clarify my statements. And yes, as a non fishing italian sometimes I can make mistakes. cheers

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #243 of 597

R&D story (2) FT3's appearance design: recognizable, professional and youthful​

If you are our loyal supporter, even if you have not bought any of our products, you may have noticed that our products have a clear family design, and a lot of common design elements and design language.

In fact, FiiO now has a complete set of industrial design specifications and guidelines. This is also a process that an enterprise has to go through as the product line grows further and further.

Today, we would like to take this opportunity to share with you our philosophy of industrial design: RGB lights, geometric textures, highlight and transparent textures, bold and clear lines, etc. to create a sense of technology.

In addition, we will check each idea and design not only for good looks, but also for innovation and recognition, style fit, brand ID style and ergonomics.

We have also reorganized the positioning of the products. For FiiO, we will emphasize more on specialty and more on the taste of young people. Of course, this is also a process, but at least you can see that we are consciously trying to move forwards in this direction.

So, after introducing the background, we would like to share the design of the FT3.

1. Choosing the headband: adaptive headband design commonly seen in HiFi over-ear headphones

We chose the adaptive headband commonly seen in over-ear headphones. Although it is not as simple as one-piece headbands, the actual wearing experience is better, especially suitable for different sizes of heads. In addition, the leather headband contact with the head is wider than ordinary consumer kinds of one-piece headbands. So even though it is heavy, users will not feel pressure on their heads.

2. Textured materials: metal and metal again

For FiiO, there is no question of not being able to afford the investment in opening a plastic mold. And with plastic, the weight can be reduced. However, considering the texture and the reliability of long-term use, we still chose aluminum as the material for the ear cups.

As you can see, the whole line of FiiO products is basically used metal shells. After all, they are not consumer products with frequent replacement, and they are relatively expensive. Consumers also prefer metal materials and hope we can use them.

3. The wheel hub's ear cup design

This design is very controversial. Through a simple analysis, we found that traditional audiophiles commonly used HiFi over-ear headphones with a traditional appearance design: a closed wooden bowl design or a large metal mesh design. The more sci-fi one is Sennheiser’s HD800. It not only has a superior design, but is also made of carefully selected materials, some of which are still a secret, so we cannot find related materials.

As a consequence, we not only have to avoid being similar to other over-ear headphones, but also cannot make it too simple (too simple will be like Sony and other brands). We still chose our usual geometric texture design, i.e. a variety of geometric patterns arranged in a regular manner. In the FT3, they are arranged in a circle around the center.

The FT3 is available now. From the current market performance, although it is not as popular as the Q11/KA5, it has been recognized and supported by many consumers. Also, there were some complaints. We are thinking about how to solve them. For one thing, the texture and design of the actual product may change your point of view. For another, we will also continue to correct and improve our design based on your opinions and feedback.

Of course, we hope the design of the FT3 can also make some contributions to the diversification of HiFi products. At present, we also need to take more into account the preferences of the younger generation.

The attached pictures show the different designs of the FT3 from the concept to the plane design. The titanium and silver designs also look good, but the black one is the most secure solution.
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq5i7orj20zk1be17i.jpg
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq5s7f8j20zk1hc0yz.jpg
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq6bkgjj20zk1hcgr2.jpg
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq6l5tzj20zk1hcgrm.jpg
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq6u9tpj20zk1hcdkk.jpg
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq636huj20zk1hcwlx.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #244 of 597

R&D story (2) FT3's appearance design: recognizable, professional and youthful​

If you are our loyal supporter, even if you have not bought any of our products, you may have noticed that our products have a clear family design, and a lot of common design elements and design language.

In fact, FiiO now has a complete set of industrial design specifications and guidelines. This is also a process that an enterprise has to go through as the product line grows further and further.

Today, we would like to take this opportunity to share with you our philosophy of industrial design: RGB lights, geometric textures, highlight and transparent textures, bold and clear lines, etc. to create a sense of technology.

In addition, we will check each idea and design not only for good looks, but also for innovation and recognition, style fit, brand ID style and ergonomics.

We have also reorganized the positioning of the products. For FiiO, we will emphasize more on specialty and more on the taste of young people. Of course, this is also a process, but at least you can see that we are consciously trying to move forwards in this direction.

So, after introducing the background, we would like to share the design of the FT3.

1. Choosing the headband: adaptive headband design commonly seen in HiFi over-ear headphones

We chose the adaptive headband commonly seen in over-ear headphones. Although it is not as simple as one-piece headbands, the actual wearing experience is better, especially suitable for different sizes of heads. In addition, the leather headband contact with the head is wider than ordinary consumer kinds of one-piece headbands. So even though it is heavy, users will not feel pressure on their heads.

2. Textured materials: metal and metal again

For FiiO, there is no question of not being able to afford the investment in opening a plastic mold. And with plastic, the weight can be reduced. However, considering the texture and the reliability of long-term use, we still chose aluminum as the material for the ear cups.

As you can see, the whole line of FiiO products is basically used metal shells. After all, they are not consumer products with frequent replacement, and they are relatively expensive. Consumers also prefer metal materials and hope we can use them.

3. The wheel hub's ear cup design

This design is very controversial. Through a simple analysis, we found that traditional audiophiles commonly used HiFi over-ear headphones with a traditional appearance design: a closed wooden bowl design or a large metal mesh design. The more sci-fi one is Sennheiser’s HD800. It not only has a superior design, but is also made of carefully selected materials, some of which are still a secret, so we cannot find related materials.

As a consequence, we not only have to avoid being similar to other over-ear headphones, but also cannot make it too simple (too simple will be like Sony and other brands). We still chose our usual geometric texture design, i.e. a variety of geometric patterns arranged in a regular manner. In the FT3, they are arranged in a circle around the center.

The FT3 is available now. From the current market performance, although it is not as popular as the Q11/KA5, it has been recognized and supported by many consumers. Also, there were some complaints. We are thinking about how to solve them. For one thing, the texture and design of the actual product may change your point of view. For another, we will also continue to correct and improve our design based on your opinions and feedback.

Of course, we hope the design of the FT3 can also make some contributions to the diversification of HiFi products. At present, we also need to take more into account the preferences of the younger generation.

The attached pictures show the different designs of the FT3 from the concept to the plane design. The titanium and silver designs also look good, but the black one is the most secure solution.
8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq5i7orj20zk1be17i.jpg8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq5s7f8j20zk1hc0yz.jpg8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq6bkgjj20zk1hcgr2.jpg8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq6l5tzj20zk1hcgrm.jpg8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq6u9tpj20zk1hcdkk.jpg8e5f2fefgy1hcfnq636huj20zk1hcwlx.jpg
I actually find the design unique and has nth against it 😀

The drawbacks I noticed are all on sound. The adaptive headband is a great choice because its comfortable. My steelseries nova 7 pro is actually the most comfortable out of all my collection and the ft3 is similar.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #245 of 597
I'm actually seeing a swastika in the earcup. But I love reading about your whole design process.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #248 of 597

R&D story (3) Why would we choose the large 60mm dynamic driver?​

The sound quality of headphones is determined by a combination of many factors. However, the core and crucial one is the driver unit. We think it at least accounts for 80%, and the rest is the acoustic design of the cavity, cable and even the internal wire soldering, which will have a subtle impact on the sound.

Why would we choose the rarely-seen 60mm driver? Or in other words, why would most over-ear headphones use a 40mm driver?

First of all, it is out of the market positioning consideration.

The over-ear headphones on the market specifically designed for audiophiles are actually not much. For the general public, sound quality is important but not all.

Therefore, whether the headphones are easy to drive and whether the size is reasonable are quite important. The positioning of the FT3 this time is very clear, i.e. we are making it for audiophiles, so sound quality must be in the first place.

The second is the perspective of product differentiation.

Even those over-ear headphones with a main focus on sound quality rarely used the 60mm driver. If we still use the conventional 40mm and 45mm drivers, it will be ordinary. To be honest, the development of the technology of over-ear headphones has been very mature. If we always walk on the same path without any change and innovation, it will be less significant, and hard to surpass similar products in sound quality.

This is also a big challenge for the product manager. Because innovation does not mean success. More often, it will bring many unknown risks.

Take a look at our recent products, such as the R7. Are they innovative enough and out of convention?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a large 60mm driver?

The larger the diameter, the larger area the vibration of the driver. So, we have to overcome air resistance, which requires higher output power. In return is the advantage. Since the vibration area is larger, the amplitude of the diaphragm will be smaller, which will cause less distortion.

Another disadvantage is that, with a large caliber, the size of the driver unit should be larger, which will make a slightly clumsy appearance.

There is also an important factor related to sound quality, that is, a larger driver will make the sound come from more directions. Why would that achieve more natural sound and a wider soundstage? Imagine, the sounds in nature come from all directions, right? If all the sound in the real world is made through the 2 points of the speaker, it would be very strange.

Therefore, the sound quality of electrostatic speakers and planar headphones has always been recognized by users, because they are typical examples following the principle of sound coming from all directions.

To conclude, if other configurations are similar, the larger the driver unit, the better the sound quality.

篇3.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 20, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #249 of 597
Pads are very small, for 60mm driver headphone and I dont have big ears. This is my biggest issue.
Same here. Other than that, all is ok.

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #251 of 597

R&D story (3) Why would we choose the large 60mm dynamic driver?​

The sound quality of headphones is determined by a combination of many factors. However, the core and crucial one is the driver unit. We think it at least accounts for 80%, and the rest is the acoustic design of the cavity, cable and even the internal wire soldering, which will have a subtle impact on the sound.

Why would we choose the rarely-seen 60mm driver? Or in other words, why would most over-ear headphones use a 40mm driver?

First of all, it is out of the market positioning consideration.

The over-ear headphones on the market specifically designed for audiophiles are actually not much. For the general public, sound quality is important but not all.

Therefore, whether the headphones are easy to drive and whether the size is reasonable are quite important. The positioning of the FT3 this time is very clear, i.e. we are making it for audiophiles, so sound quality must be in the first place.

The second is the perspective of product differentiation.

Even those over-ear headphones with a main focus on sound quality rarely used the 60mm driver. If we still use the conventional 40mm and 45mm drivers, it will be ordinary. To be honest, the development of the technology of over-ear headphones has been very mature. If we always walk on the same path without any change and innovation, it will be less significant, and hard to surpass similar products in sound quality.

This is also a big challenge for the product manager. Because innovation does not mean success. More often, it will bring many unknown risks.

Take a look at our recent products, such as the R7. Are they innovative enough and out of convention?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a large 60mm driver?

The larger the diameter, the larger area the vibration of the driver. So, we have to overcome air resistance, which requires higher output power. In return is the advantage. Since the vibration area is larger, the amplitude of the diaphragm will be smaller, which will cause less distortion.

Another disadvantage is that, with a large caliber, the size of the driver unit should be larger, which will make a slightly clumsy appearance.

There is also an important factor related to sound quality, that is, a larger driver will make the sound come from more directions. Why would that achieve more natural sound and a wider soundstage? Imagine, the sounds in nature come from all directions, right? If all the sound in the real world is made through the 2 points of the speaker, it would be very strange.

Therefore, the sound quality of electrostatic speakers and planar headphones has always been recognized by users, because they are typical examples following the principle of sound coming from all directions.

To conclude, if other configurations are similar, the larger the driver unit, the better the sound quality.

篇3.jpg
Just curious... What happened to FT1 and FT2?

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #252 of 597
What headphones are you guys coming from? The pads aren't huge, but I have no issues with comfort.
Mainly from Hd6xx, Edition xs, and Akg q701/k612.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #253 of 597
Ok. Well the HD6 series is oval shaped, which I can understand many may have a preference for. The Edition XS is sort of oval shaped and large for a planar driver, and abnormally large for a dynamic driver. I will agree that the AKGs are large and comfy. I had the K701s for a while. The FT3s pads probably do feel smaller than all of those, but I wouldn't call them uncomfortable. Especially the suede ones. I have no issues wearing these for extended 2 hour plus listening sessions and my noggin and ears are not small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back