FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,217 of 1,891
How will these compare to the FD5 in weight and size? Liked the semi-open design of the FD5, but I had a hard time wearing them for longer than an hour before they would become uncomfortable. The FH3 on the other hand I can wear all day (and regularly do).

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #1,218 of 1,891
@FiiO
Hard to tell from a rendering, but the two tubes appear to be similar in diameter, more so than the tubes that come with the FD5. If the tubes have been re-tuned for the FD3, can they be used on the FD5 ?

1627770462641.png

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #1,221 of 1,891
@FiiO
Hard to tell from a rendering, but the two tubes appear to be similar in diameter, more so than the tubes that come with the FD5. If the tubes have been re-tuned for the FD3, can they be used on the FD5 ?

1627770462641.png
Dear friend,
The FD3 comes with 2 interchangeable sound tubes. While the outer diameter of the sound tube remains the same, the inner diameter differs for each sound tube.
The red small inner diameter tube (preinstalled on the FD3): balanced tuning with soft sounds.
The black large inner diameter tube (included in accessories): higher resolution in high frequencies.
It is not recommended to use the tubes for FD3 in the FD5.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,222 of 1,891
nice,
so we could use the same eartips for both tubes,
no need to worry about getting a smaller bore eartips,

Aug 3, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #1,223 of 1,891
I have a demo model a few days in house together with the Campfire Honeydew.
First of all I really like the fit in my ears, this is the best fitting model so far for my ears. No continue adjusting, what a brief ...
I like the sound signature mostly except what has said before, sometimes the treble is to much and seems to go to far for my hearing. I red some stuff that the FD5 is very easy to tune but would like to hear from you how you tamed the treble? Is a pure copper cable really helping ? Some say yes, some say no ... Source I use is the Fiio BTR3k.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,224 of 1,891
First of all I really like the fit in my ears, this is the best fitting model so far for my ears. No continue adjusting, what a brief ...
I like the sound signature mostly except what has said before, sometimes the treble is to much and seems to go to far for my hearing. I red some stuff that the FD5 is very easy to tune but would like to hear from you how you tamed the treble? Is a pure copper cable really helping ? Some say yes, some say no ... Source I use is the Fiio BTR3k.
I personally like the FD5 as it is out of the box, but with spinfits cp145. The first thing I would try if I wanted to tame the treble would be to try the thinner nozzles that are included, these will definitely make a difference. Then I would try tip rolling: I like cp145 as they seem to bring the mids into focus a little, but you may want to try some wide bore tips or foam tips, that should help tame the treble. Some people had success with Final Type E tips. Finally, I would try a copper cable, which some here have done to their satisfaction, though I personally prefer the stock cable. You may not need to do cable rolling, if you were successful with either the thinner nozzles or tip rolling.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,225 of 1,891
You can try my DIY foam mod:
graph - 2021-08-03T134712.144.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...-list-music-list.925319/page-50#post-16379744

(I dont like the narrow filters at all, this is a better option IMO.)

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,226 of 1,891
I got it. But I prefer balanced connection, because of the transparency it gives to music. It's really magical sounding to me. I'll try to use wide tubes more, but I'm not quite sure about that. I also tried to experiment with different cables, a pure copper one too, and I'm not satisfied with the results now. Somehow a pure copper cable gives more warm and smooth sound, and alongside that, makes pretty annoying sibilants. I'm waiting for silver plated litz cable with graphene, hope it'll be better.
Beyond tips and cables, the RHA filters are another option, for fine tuning the FD5: link to my findings
1628024978714.png

or
You can DIY your own filters. I used a cigar punch tool, to make discs out of an athletic foam wrap and used a coffee stirrer to "ram" the discs evenly, into the back of the wide bore tube/nozzle. 2-ply for my tastes
Foam inserts a to z.jpg

Can I buy the FD5 cable separately somewhere?

I unfortunately have the problem that the MMCX connector on the left side no longer holds properly in the IEM, after a few minutes or a few movements with the head it just falls out.

I have already contacted the dealer for a complaint, unfortunately I can no longer find the invoice.
I had an issue with loosing the sound on one side of an MMCX earphone. It was an out of spec cable that damaged the "split coupler", by expanding one side, so it no longer resembled a ring; if your phone has a macro lens, I would inspect this first. If the coupler doesn't resemble a split ring, no cable is going to fix this deformity. In my case I used a thick, wood toothpick to press the bent coupler back to near spec
1628024483090.png

[edit to add]
@cottoff
No guarantee that my Qudelix-5K, PEQ preferences will meet your needs; but you can use them as a base, to make your own adjustments
FiiO FD5 n TapeQudelix (1).jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #1,227 of 1,891
Ok, i listened and tested a few hours more.
Final E tips vs stock or Spinfit cp100 makes definitely a big difference throw my ears. Final E is the way to go, better seal and less annoying treble/ more bass (which I like).
Comfort wise somehow I have to readjust after a while because they tend to pop out of my ears somehow. But not as bad as the Final A4000 for example. Also my ears got a little sore after a while, not sure where this comes from....
While i do like the sound especially the bass which is great tunable with EQ and the mids, now and then the treble just is to much/ seems off.
I may keep it or consider other options which will be hard to find I'm afraid.
I know for now: I like the sound signature for the most part, maybe a tad more warmth / less treble parts would be perfect. Also with my ear shape I need IEMs with longer than average nozzles to get a good fit which the FD5 have.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,228 of 1,891
幻灯片21.JPG幻灯片22.JPG幻灯片23.JPG幻灯片24.JPG

You may be so curious about the differences between the FD3 and the FD3 Pro. Actually, it is the cable. The FD3 is included with a 4-stranded 120-core high-purity monocrystalline copper cable, while the FD3 Pro is with an 8-stranded 152-core high-purity monocrystalline silver-plated copper cable. So the FD3 Pro has more excellent sound performance with higher resolution and rich details. What is more, it is featured with interchangeable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm audio plugs.

Both the FD3 and FD3 Pro have rich accessories, including 12 pairs of ear tips, 2 interchangeable sound tubes, 1 waterproof carrying case HB1, 1 cleaning brush, and 1 MMCX assist tool.
Hi! I am not familiar with your line of FD headphones. but I really liked this model. tell me, do they have any genre preferences? 80% of the music I listen to is hip-hop.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,229 of 1,891
Hi! I am not familiar with your line of FD headphones. but I really liked this model. tell me, do they have any genre preferences? 80% of the music I listen to is hip-hop.
I wish the copper cable the base model came with was a 2.5mm balanced cable.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,230 of 1,891
幻灯片21.JPG幻灯片22.JPG幻灯片23.JPG幻灯片24.JPG

You may be so curious about the differences between the FD3 and the FD3 Pro. Actually, it is the cable. The FD3 is included with a 4-stranded 120-core high-purity monocrystalline copper cable, while the FD3 Pro is with an 8-stranded 152-core high-purity monocrystalline silver-plated copper cable. So the FD3 Pro has more excellent sound performance with higher resolution and rich details. What is more, it is featured with interchangeable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm audio plugs.

Both the FD3 and FD3 Pro have rich accessories, including 12 pairs of ear tips, 2 interchangeable sound tubes, 1 waterproof carrying case HB1, 1 cleaning brush, and 1 MMCX assist tool.
@FiiO you mentioned that the FD3 Pro is featured with interchangeable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm audio plugs. Will those interchangeable plugs be included in the retail box. If not then will be have to the option to choose which plug we want while ordering the FD3 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back