FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,366 of 1,891
I suspect there was no change. The nozzles do make a difference, but not enough to make the tuning tolerable to me. Maybe 5% or so. Same with the tips.

Looks like these are going back.

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,367 of 1,891
So I cooked them overnight, don’t know whether that made a difference, but I also traded the nozzles out for the black treble ones and using the bass tips these are now much more listenable. However the treble does get a little spicy.

And as much as I also wanted to enjoy the treble nozzles, they do get fatiguing after an hour + of listening for me. I switched to the balance nozzles and Azla Sedna Short (S) for now. I still feel like this is a good set in how versatile it can be.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,368 of 1,891
I did as close to a quick A/B test as I could between this and the Aria, and yeah they’re really similar. I’d give a slight edge to the Aria on driver speed. That translates to more detail, but it’s minor. In terms of excursive capability, the FD3 is more dynamic than the Aria (more dynamic than the Aria is quick). I think that helps give the edge to the FD3 in terms of imaging over the Aria. Staging is a bit of a wash, since the Aria is wider but flatter. The FD3 is slightly narrower but it has better depth. I really feel like the differences are minor and up to whatever your subjective preference. Tuning-wise, FD3 has a touch more mid-bass and less treble extension (my hearing drops off above 15k so I’m least certain about that), but that mid-bass pushes more air due to that more dynamic driver. When you get a track that has plenty of droning mid-bass already, it can go from yup to nope really quickly. Otoh, that dynamic driver also makes vocals sound more life-like and less like a recording which I love. So it cuts both ways. Also, I feel like the FD3’s treble is a touch smoother maybe because it’s slightly less quick. In that sense, I prefer the FD3 as more fun for my library which is comprised of a lot of bad recordings. To me, music sounds more life-like on the FD3 than the Aria, even if the Aria is more audiophile in its tuning and for those looking for the most detailed IEM in this class.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,369 of 1,891
I wouldn't even consider the Aria to be "detailed". It's relaxed, non-fatiguing, and warm overall. Very well balanced and musical. The FD3 is much boomier and darker, with obscured detail, but somehow sharper treble. I can't put my finger on what's wrong, but to me it's a bit of a mess.

I agree that it seems like it could go from yup to nope very quickly depending on the source material. Unfortunately, virtually everything I listen to puts it into the nope category. To me, the Aria is just a better IEM all around, for less money. And it doesn't need to be tweaked with nozzles and tips to make it sound good for virtually all types of music.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #1,370 of 1,891
Ok, out of the E1DA 9038S these sound AMAZING. I thought they would sound too sterile but nope. The synergy is just excellent. Very musical. And with the Xelastec tips, the tuning is just perfect (like Harman neutral, but better and still fun). 👌 Bass, mids, highs all in perfect harmony.

I'm most surprised by the midrange detail on these. Looking at the graph, they look recessed and with the regular balanced tips they certainly sound that way. But the Xelastec tips really bring out the vocals. Listening to Billie Eilish's Happier Than Ever, I can actually hear her taking breaths in her songs. I can hear the scratchiness in her voice. So intimate.

Im starting to like this combo more than the B2 Dusk. And that's one of my favorite combos with the 9038S. Soundstage on these beat the Dusk for sure. I think these actually sound better than the Oracle too. Endgame for sure 👍

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,371 of 1,891
Ok, out of the E1DA 9038S these sound AMAZING. I thought they would sound too sterile but nope. The synergy is just excellent. Very musical. And with the Xelastec tips, the tuning is just perfect (like Harman neutral, but better and still fun). 👌 Bass, mids, highs all in perfect harmony.

I'm most surprised by the midrange detail on these. Looking at the graph, they look recessed and with the regular balanced tips they certainly sound that way. But the Xelastec tips really bring out the vocals. Listening to Billie Eilish's Happier Than Ever, I can actually hear her taking breaths in her songs. I can hear the scratchiness in her voice. So intimate.

Im starting to like this combo more than the B2 Dusk. And that's one of my favorite combos with the 9038S. Soundstage on these beat the Dusk for sure. I think these actually sound better than the Oracle too. Endgame for sure 👍

What other tips did you compare them to?

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,372 of 1,891
Well, I gotta chalk another one up to burn-in. Most IEMs I don’t hear any difference but after giving 75+ hours of burn to the FD3 bass has gotten significantly better. I can now use the stock red filters without issue. It’s much more controlled than it was out of box. Soundstage has also gotten a bit better, still not absurdly wide or anything but it is nicely spherical. Still using the wide bore bass tips.

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,373 of 1,891
Brain burn in.

😉

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,374 of 1,891
Brain burn in.

😉
Normally I would agree but I wasn’t listening during the vast majority of the time.

Like I said I rarely think burn in makes a difference but in this case, subjectively, I do hear a difference.

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,375 of 1,891
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you enjoy yours. But mine were sent back today. I've got other IEMs that perform better in just about every way, so I'm not going to bother trying to polish up this one.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,376 of 1,891
So I have some mostly positive things to say about the FD5.

Good overall balance and speed with this single dynamic driver being driven by the Hiby R8. I actually found that the stock vocal eartips, medium size fit me very well. I like everything from the bottom to the mids. I do agree that the treble has too much energy. It's not way way too much but it is a bit too much.

I've ordered a Effect Audio ARES II (8 Wire braid) 100% copper OCC cable to pair with the FD5. My hope is that the copper cable can smooth out the treble energy a bit. I don't need alot but if the treble was tamed by 10% I think this would be great for me. Let's see how this experiment goes. I've always been a fan of Effect Audio cables.

But this is actually a very good IEM that does many things right. Even the price is very fair. I just need to work on that treble energy and I think this will be very good.

More to come. I should have the new cable mid week this week.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,377 of 1,891
What other tips did you compare them to?
Just the stock balanced and vocal tips. Haven't felt the need to try other tips since I've been happy with the Xelastecs. Still haven't tried the narrow nozzle either or swap the cable out yet.

The treble detail on these are excellent too. Comparable to the Tin P1 and EST 112. After hearing what this single DD can do, I get a feeling that multi BA drivers are overrated. These layer pretty good too and have much better timbre.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #1,378 of 1,891
Tonight I swapped out the stock cable for XINHS 8 core graphene cable. This cable adds a lot more body, making it sound more full with presence. While taming the highs a bit too. The stock cable sounds lean and analytical in comparison. I imagine a good copper cable would work well with the FD5 also.

With this cable I prefer the stock balanced tips. The sound is lively, musical, and engaging and demands your attention. Good punch and energy. The vocal tips and xelastec tips with this cable can sound too bloomy.

Still like how this sounds out of the 9038S. They are perfect together.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,379 of 1,891
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you enjoy yours. But mine were sent back today. I've got other IEMs that perform better in just about every way, so I'm not going to bother trying to polish up this one.
which ones do you feel perform better? TBCH, I have burned my FD3Pro and Aria in for about 100 hours and have not really been impressed with them. or enjoyed their sound (esp the Aria).

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,380 of 1,891
Anyone tried the FD3/FD3 Pro and compared them to the FD5? I have the FD3Pro and have not been very impressed with them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back