FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,351 of 1,891
Actually just made a counter-intuitive discovery: bass tips improve midbass boominess a bit!
I have just tried that, it works. Better soundstage, layering and a more open sound, mid bass at the right level. Thank you, I never would have thought of that!

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,352 of 1,891
After a few hours of listening I can say with a fair amount of confidence that if the midbass were cut back a bit, the FD3 would be pretty darn close to perfection.
Hmm, we all have different definitions of "perfection". I guess I would never consider a $100 to be close to perfect. Did you mean "for the price"?

Going through some posts where folks on this thread have posted links to certain songs that they enjoy listening to with the FD3 (and in other threads as well for other IEMs), I've noticed that there is a HUGE difference in what they listen to versus what I listen to. Lots of soft piano, stringed instruments, light airy vocal renditions, etc. I can imagine that they might sound OK through the FD3.

One good example of the type of music I listen to is Ajja & Cosmosis - The Alien Jams. The copy on YouTube (can't post the link right now) is actually very good quality. Give it a listen and tell me what you think. To me, it's a boomy, unbalanced mess with the FD3. Actually unlistenable compared to my other IEMs, including the Aria.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,353 of 1,891
Hmm, we all have different definitions of "perfection". I guess I would never consider a $100 to be close to perfect. Did you mean "for the price"?

Going through some posts where folks on this thread have posted links to certain songs that they enjoy listening to with the FD3 (and in other threads as well for other IEMs), I've noticed that there is a HUGE difference in what they listen to versus what I listen to. Lots of soft piano, stringed instruments, light airy vocal renditions, etc. I can imagine that they might sound OK through the FD3.

One good example of the type of music I listen to is Ajja & Cosmosis - The Alien Jams. The copy on YouTube (can't post the link right now) is actually very good quality. Give it a listen and tell me what you think. To me, it's a boomy, unbalanced mess with the FD3. Actually unlistenable compared to my other IEMs, including the Aria.
I definitely didn't mean perfection as in nothing could possibly be improved, lol. I was mostly talking about the tuning, and yes overall performance for the price.

And you're right regarding my general music library. As for the track you mentioned, I listen to so little of that style of music I'm not really qualified to comment.

I do recommend trying the bass tips if you haven't already though, it really does help with the boominess.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,354 of 1,891

This sounds superb on the FD3, powerful, deep, dramatic and entertaining:

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,355 of 1,891
Like I said, piano, strings, etc. Simple separated layers and rhythms. Nothing wrong with that, but it's virtually the opposite of what I listen to. I'm sure that stuff sounds great on the FD3. Very full and warm

As I said, give The Alien Jams a listen and you'll see what I'm talking about. Or try something from Infected Mushroom - BP Empire.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #1,356 of 1,891
Like I said, piano, strings, etc. Simple separated layers and rhythms. Nothing wrong with that, but it's virtually the opposite of what I listen to. I'm sure that stuff sounds great on the FD3. Very full and warm

As I said, give The Alien Jams a listen and you'll see what I'm talking about. Or try something from Infected Mushroom - BP Empire.
Upon further listening I think unfortunately you might be right. The boominess can really limit these things at times, even on simpler arrangements. I’m gonna let these burn in for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,357 of 1,891
Let me know how it goes. I suspect things won't improve, but who knows.

Glad to hear I'm not totally crazy. 🙂

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,358 of 1,891
They’re noticeably boomier on the N6ii than the N3 Pro. I really dig them with the tube output though.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #1,359 of 1,891
A little too much mid-bass and the treble balance should be less lower, more upper. But it's a single DD. I guess most others step up a hy or tri-brid to get that level of refined tuning.
I’ve heard plenty of DDs with great bass and mids, it’s harder to find good treble tuning IMO.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,361 of 1,891
I got the FD5s yesterday and I've been mighty impressed so far. The wide nozzle with the vocal tips is so good. Wide euphonic sound!
I agree. Just got my pair as well and I think they sound pretty balanced with the vocal tips on the wide nozzle. They sound great out of the hip dac and BTR5 so far. I'm not experiencing the treble harshness that others have mentioned. And the mids have good texture and detail. Have yet to tip roll and try out the narrow nozzle as well. The stock cable is one of the best out of the box. Don't feel like it's bottlenecking the sound at all and great build quality comparable to aftermarket ones.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,362 of 1,891
As for me, after trying the CP100 and CP145 tips, I decided that the best sound / fit ratio is obtained with the foam tips.

The soundstage decreases slightly but increases the focus on the mids and makes the highs smoother. I also think they are the best tips to be used on the go as they can be fixed deeply without compromising the sound.

I also discarded the use of the BTR5 as a source as I consider it unsuitable for the FD5 as with it the medium frequencies of the FD5 cannot emerge adequately.

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,363 of 1,891
Let me know how it goes. I suspect things won't improve, but who knows.

Glad to hear I'm not totally crazy. 🙂
So I cooked them overnight, don’t know whether that made a difference, but I also traded the nozzles out for the black treble ones and using the bass tips these are now much more listenable. However the treble does get a little spicy.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,364 of 1,891
My pair of FD5s arrived yesterday. To be honest it's been a long week so the only thing I was able to do was open the the package and take a few minutes to access everything. As has been noted, the stock cable does look like it's of high-quality. The IEMs themselves have a real soild feel and are highly polished, showing off the stainless steel used. I did swap out the 3.5mm connector for the 4.4mm balanced connector that I'll use on my Hiby R8.

I'm hoping today I'll get a chance to actually attach some eartips that fit my ears and to do some listening. I'll post some initial thoughts and impressions in the next few days. Look forward to getting to know the FD5s!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,365 of 1,891
Just tried Xelastecs on them and I think they work well together also on the wide nozzle. Sound is even more balanced and smoother. Vocals are brought more forward and intimate. Treble is brought down a bit and bass seems maybe little less impactful. But overall sound is quite good.

I didn't find the spinfit 100/145 that much different than the stock vocal tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back