FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,261 of 1,891
With my current tips, cables, and nozzles, the sound is closer to relaxed harman + bass rather than "chifi" (ugh dislike that term) V, but I'd imagine it's possible to get something closer to that sound profile with the brighter nozzles and tips.

Perhaps more importantly, I think the waveguide does a decent job of reducing any noise that the DLC driver might want to add to the mix. With the caveat that the driver is still breaking in and sometimes opinions need some time in my head to settle, I'm pretty impressed with the timbre and tuning.
How are the mids? Recessed or fuller?

Can’t wait for my set to arrive…

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,262 of 1,891
Ooh, without trying to define neutral mids as a universal constant, I’ll just say the mids are natural sounding, without straying too far from you’d expect to hear given that published graph. I guess most audiophiles would describe them as slightly recessed compared to the bass, but that’s just where I like ‘em personally. And that recessed nature isn’t at the expense of the lower or upper mids, if that makes sense. The lower mids are objectively recessed compared to the upper mids and upper bass, but it doesn’t sound unbalanced.

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #1,263 of 1,891
Ooh, without trying to define neutral mids as a universal constant, I’ll just say the mids are natural sounding, without straying too far from you’d expect to hear given that published graph. I guess most audiophiles would describe them as slightly recessed compared to the bass, but that’s just where I like ‘em personally. And that recessed nature isn’t at the expense of the lower or upper mids, if that makes sense. The lower mids are objectively recessed compared to the upper mids and upper bass, but it doesn’t sound unbalanced.
Thanks very much for your impressions!

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #1,264 of 1,891
Grabbed a Pro from Amazon. Let's see how it compares to the Aria. Could be my new travel set.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #1,267 of 1,891
Dear friend,

Yes, but we need to wait some time still.

Best regards
Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to it.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,268 of 1,891
@FiiO does the cable come with FD3 pro also available to buy separately ?
Dear friend,

Yes, that cable will be sold separately some time later.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 10, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,271 of 1,891
Just received my pair of regular (non-pro) FD3s. Here's my initial impressions after a few hours, using the balanced nozzle. I liked the stock tips the best. No burn-in yet. I'll post more impressions if anything changes.
  • Excellent accessories, very comfortable shells, satisfying build quality.
  • Sounds like a pretty balanced v-shaped IEM, slightly warm. Definitely more musical than analytical. Lower midrange more recessed.
  • Natural tonality. Male and female vocals both sound great. Nice weight behind them (not airy). Female vocals are closer in the mix.
  • Decent soundstage and imaging.
  • Smooth treble. No noticeable peakiness or sibilance, and I'm sensitive.
  • Bass is a bit on the looser side at the moment, I'll see if it changes with burn-in. Mid-bass and sub-bass seem to have a similar presence.
First time listening to a FiiO IEM and I'm impressed. I'm not a V-shaped kinda guy but these seem like a strong performer in the price bracket.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #1,272 of 1,891
I’m wondering how a direct comparison of the FD5 to the FD3 pro would look like.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #1,273 of 1,891
I’m wondering how a direct comparison of the FD5 to the FD3 pro would look like.
If you already have nice cables, save yourself the $30. Otherwise, it is a good value for their interchangeable tip cable. FiiO has said that they plan on selling that cable separately and, while I have not heard of a price they're setting for it, I would expect to see it around $50 or more.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,274 of 1,891
If you already have nice cables, save yourself the $30. Otherwise, it is a good value for their interchangeable tip cable. FiiO has said that they plan on selling that cable separately and, while I have not heard of a price they're setting for it, I would expect to see it around $50 or more.
I have a Fiio LC-4.4X cable that I bought a long time ago that’s just sitting there unused. I went ahead and bought the Pro so I can test to see which cable sounds better and I like the interconnects on the Pro cable.

Allllllmost bought the FD5 too so I could compare the difference between what ~3x the price of the FD3p gets you.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,275 of 1,891
I have a Fiio LC-4.4X cable that I bought a long time ago that’s just sitting there unused. I went ahead and bought the Pro so I can test to see which cable sounds better and I like the interconnects on the Pro cable.

Allllllmost bought the FD5 too so I could compare the difference between what ~3x the price of the FD3p gets you.
I believe the FD3 and FD5 are very similar. I've heard it has tonal improvements over the FD5. The graphs look almost identical.

Not a BGGAR fan but here's his measurements.
https://hbb.squig.link/?share=Fiio_FD5,Fiio_FD3_Stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back