FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,291 of 1,891
Yeah is there a lot of difference between the two nozzle/"sound tube" options included?
Not a whole lot but you get increased brightness beginning with the inner ear resonance compensation itself:

Sound tube.jpg

For me the biggest change was smoother transients with more uniform decay as well. It'll depend on what kind of music you listen to whether this will matter much or not.

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,292 of 1,891
Not a whole lot but you get increased brightness beginning with the inner ear resonance compensation itself:

Sound tube.jpg

For me the biggest change was smoother transients with more uniform decay as well. It'll depend on what kind of music you listen to whether this will matter much or not.
That V looks huge. What’s the vertical scale?

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,294 of 1,891
It's normalized to make the differences more obvious, but I get your point. Here's the one with the scale bar:

Tube.jpg

In hindsight, maybe I should increase the range on the Y-axis?
I mean, it’s all relative, but including the scale to me is vital to really understand what we’re looking at. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,295 of 1,891
I mean, it’s all relative, but including the scale to me is vital to really understand what we’re looking at. Thanks!
Ended up changing the scale, it looks more in line with the raw FR measurements also now:

Tube.jpg
Frequency response.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,297 of 1,891
Yup, that's what I hear. Boost starts early in the midbass and tapers off at the end. Sort of opposite of what I would prefer.

More quick impressions: the included foam tips combined with the treble sound tube make for a better combination to my ears. The tradeoff is that the soundstage is compressed and shallow now. But the sound quality itself is more pleasing.

Don't really care for the "vocals tips" all that much. But the foamies are nice. I may sit down for a while with this setup and just enjoy them for a bit before I do any more "critical" listening (I use the term very loosely).

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #1,298 of 1,891
Yup, that's what I hear. Boost starts early in the midbass and tapers off at the end. Sort of opposite of what I would prefer.

More quick impressions: the included foam tips combined with the treble sound tube make for a better combination to my ears. The tradeoff is that the soundstage is compressed and shallow now. But the sound quality itself is more pleasing.

Don't really care for the "vocals tips" all that much. But the foamies are nice. I may sit down for a while with this setup and just enjoy them for a bit before I do any more "critical" listening (I use the term very loosely).
Sounds like tip rolling while trying out both nozzles would be highly recommended for this IEM?

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,299 of 1,891
Definitely. I mean, you can't change the fundamental behavior of it, but it seems clear that many adjustments are possible with all the included hardware. I'll give it a chance for a little while with this configuration before I try anything else. I've got other tips and maybe some EQ to try, maybe later this weekend.

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,300 of 1,891
I have loads of tips, but am concerned if the sound will be too v-shaped, or too bright with the treble nozzle. The loose bass/lack of clarity has been voiced by a few people too. Would love to hear some impressions from @Nimweth who has compared it with the Aria which I really like with some light mods :smile:

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,301 of 1,891

If you've got them, try out some Sony Triple Comfort tips. They usually have a benefitial effect on bass and sub-bass without killing the soundstage size as much as most foam and foam-adjacent tips do. If you want to purchase them, check eBay first, as loads of people are selling them packaged along with some of the "gel" tips, which are just a softer silicone tip.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #1,302 of 1,891
I have loads of tips, but am concerned if the sound will be too v-shaped, or too bright with the treble nozzle. The loose bass/lack of clarity has been voiced by a few people too. Would love to hear some impressions from @Nimweth who has compared it with the Aria which I really like with some light mods :smile:
I am currently writing a review of the FD3 for Audiosolace in which I include a comparison to the Aria. When it is published, I will supply you with the link to the review.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,303 of 1,891
Sounds like your impressions match mine. I agree with virtually everything you've stated. I'm also more of a neutral - curve type of guy, so I prefer a little more detail and less "musicality" or warmth.

Very comfortable fit to my ears using the stock tips. But I'd like to see what I can do to adjust the sound profile a bit more to my liking. Tip rolling is definitely in the cards for me tonight.
Try the black nozzles and the vocal tips. That should achieve your target profile.

Aug 14, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,304 of 1,891
Deleted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back