FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #856 of 1,891
So far I am loving my FD5's after 1 day but I've run into a strange problem after trying the more narrow nozzles. As far as I can tell both of the narrow nozzles are physically identical, except one of the nozzles produces a strange kind of muffled sound. At first I thought the driver had failed but the muffled distorted effect follows that one small nozzle. How can two seemingly identical nozzles produce such different sounds? Did I receive a defective unit?
You mean the More Narrow Nozzles are different?Try switching the two More Narrow Nozzles left and right to see which part the problem follows.And you can also PM me anytime.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #857 of 1,891
Do some of y'all buy a headphone and then just immediately put in an EQ that counteracts is frequency response in the aim of making it "flat" or something?

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #860 of 1,891
Nothing wrong with using some EQ. Everyone has different likes in a sound. More bass, less/ more treble, more mids. EQ is the easiest way to achieve that but some folks EQ using external methods, cables and tips, I am of the latter camp. I suppose if I was more proficient at EQing I could have saved a bunch of money.

The negative of EQing for me though is that I own too many earphones all with different sound profiles. It would drive me nuts to figure out what EQ goes with what phone so I pretty much accept a phone for how it sounds. I feel each earphone is as unique as our own individuality. Which makes our hobby that much more interesting.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #861 of 1,891
Nothing wrong with using some EQ. Everyone has different likes in a sound. More bass, less/ more treble, more mids. EQ is the easiest way to achieve that but some folks EQ using external methods, cables and tips, I am of the latter camp. I suppose if I was more proficient at EQing I could have saved a bunch of money.

The negative of EQing for me though is that I own too many earphones all with different sound profiles. It would drive me nuts to figure out what EQ goes with what phone so I pretty much accept a phone for how it sounds. I feel each earphone is as unique as our own individuality. Which makes our hobby that much more interesting.
When Qudelix bumped the EQ/PEQ presets from 10 to 20, I thought: self, there’s no way I’ll need 20, what an un-needed upgrade. Fast forward a few months and I’m already saving/archiving snapshots of the presets for an IEM, when it falls out of my rotation. To then replace with my new favorite.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #862 of 1,891
Just got the RHA nozzles, I like the reference one the most combined with either foam or vocal tips. The bass one is good too but kills guitars for me (Not sure how to explain it but guitars lose the fun reverb at the end of the note) compared to the reference... The treble one is just a crappier version of the stock wide nozzles to me. Makes sense because it has no damping material at all, just that mesh with a sharingan in the middle.

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #863 of 1,891
You mean the More Narrow Nozzles are different?Try switching the two More Narrow Nozzles left and right to see which part the problem follows.And you can also PM me anytime.

Yes, exactly. One of the more narrow nozzles is definitely the problem, I've swapped them around in every combo and it always comes down to that one narrow nozzle. I've emailed Fiio support to see if I can get one new nozzle mailed to me. I'll PM you if I run into any issues with them, thanks!

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #864 of 1,891
I received my FD5s a few days ago. I was ready to write these off as "decent sounding but not great treble" until I tried them w/ the narrow nozzles and Spinfit CP800 tips. I really wasn't a fan of the treble at all with the wide nozzles as it sounded splashy and somewhat harsh at times. Not only is this nozzle/tip combo a lot more comfortable for my ears but also fixes the issues I had with the treble using the wider nozzles. These sound a lot more refined, cohesive and with better imaging this way.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #865 of 1,891
The FD5 is legit great largely for how it can be tuned. I wasn't a fan of the narrows but some people respond VERY well to them, and I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the drivers and housing overall.

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #866 of 1,891
Just got the RHA nozzles, I like the reference one the most combined with either foam or vocal tips. The bass one is good too but kills guitars for me (Not sure how to explain it but guitars lose the fun reverb at the end of the note) compared to the reference... The treble one is just a crappier version of the stock wide nozzles to me. Makes sense because it has no damping material at all, just that mesh with a sharingan in the middle.

A50B950C-1449-4B53-82AA-1E50FA3703C5.png

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #868 of 1,891
Would love to try the thinner tube on the FD5 but no tip is fitting. The triple flange doesn't fit my ear, no matter what I do.

Neither of them? The vocal tips will hold onto the thin tubes just fine, also, and at least one person on here has said that combo is great. I can agree it ain't bad t'all (trying it with the M size).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #869 of 1,891
After a bit of back and forth I believe Fiio support is sending me a new set of narrow nozzles. They said their US division doesn't have FD5 parts yet so they have to ship them from China.

I've had about a week with the FD5 now and I'm increasingly impressed with how great they sound, and how comfortable they are even after hours of continuous use. I think they have the biggest and most seemingly natural soundstage I've heard in an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back