FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #573 of 1,891
EM5 needs huge amount of EQ on the highs (10kHz-20kHz) to leverage the open nature of the form factor. Then It becomes nicely unforced in delivery and free of overly crispy articulation.

The imaging is really nothing to write home about on the EM5. It images like a mediocre $50 IEM.

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #575 of 1,891
FiiO EM5
a very interesting read, on the rationale, for the EM5's existence.
Here's the entire post: link

The R&D Story of Beryllium-Plated Open Earbuds FiiO EM5

With the substantial improvement of the front-end audio performance, it is irreversible that open earbuds have been replaced by various in-ear monitors with better sound insulation, greater dynamics, stronger resolution ability, and wider frequency response in the audio industry. Therefore, there are actually very few brands that are still focusing on open earbuds. The reason why we researched and developed the EM5 is actually for ourselves and some old audiophiles. If considering the commercial value, the EM5 is undoubtedly a money-losing project. The open market itself has almost gone back to zero, especially when coupled with the bold and personalized (weird) exterior design and expensive price. We don't have many expectations for the sales of the EM5 in the market. Instead, we are delighted to finally make a model of open earbuds that we are satisfied with and can share it with our friends...

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #577 of 1,891
I just tried all eartips, imo the balanced are the most comfy and the memory foam the best sounding. I have small ear canals, can anyone recommend me a memory foam tip which fits for small ear canals? I feel the included one pushes outwards with too much force, really uncomfortable.

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #579 of 1,891
Hi Everyone! I am considering buying Mangird Tea or FD5. Also comparing Legacy 5, Legacy 4. I love bass (mostly listen to EDM - not dubstep so not fast bass but Trap so heavy sub-bass type, and slow vocal songs - mostly hindi with male/female vocals and multiple instruments like guitars, flute etc.) but also love finding micro-details and separation of instruments and their relative position. Sorry I am new to the hi-fi world. Any help would be appreciated. I currently own BGVP DM6 (want to go step up from them) and UE900. I love BGVP for its details and stage but all or most of my EDM drops become too sharp so I cant vibe with it at higher volumes. I can't withstand sharp treble, I'm senstive. On lower volumes it is okay. Please help. Thank you in advance!

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #580 of 1,891
Hi Everyone! I am considering buying Mangird Tea or FD5. Also comparing Legacy 5, Legacy 4. I love bass (mostly listen to EDM - not dubstep so not fast bass but Trap so heavy sub-bass type, and slow vocal songs - mostly hindi with male/female vocals and multiple instruments like guitars, flute etc.) but also love finding micro-details and separation of instruments and their relative position. Sorry I am new to the hi-fi world. Any help would be appreciated. I currently own BGVP DM6 (want to go step up from them) and UE900. I love BGVP for its details and stage but all or most of my EDM drops become too sharp so I cant vibe with it at higher volumes. I can't withstand sharp treble, I'm senstive. On lower volumes it is okay. Please help. Thank you in advance!
Single DD IEMs you buy mainly for one reason - cohesion. You lose transparency, separation, detail and sense of effortlessness compared to multi-driver IEMs.

I would recommend the Tanchjim Darling multi-driver IEM which goes for $420 (1DD 2BA). It supposedly has stellar clarity and imaging.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #581 of 1,891
Single DD IEMs you buy mainly for one reason - cohesion. You lose transparency, separation, detail and sense of effortlessness compared to multi-driver IEMs.

I would recommend the Tanchjim Darling multi-driver IEM which goes for $420 (1DD 2BA). It supposedly has stellar clarity and imaging.
Tuning is the most important aspect of any iem. So single DDs can beat multi driver iems, if they are tuned well.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #583 of 1,891
Tuning is the most important aspect of any iem. So single DDs can beat multi driver iems, if they are tuned well.

Unlike multi crossover IEMs the highly capable single DD IEMs are a bitch to tune right.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #584 of 1,891

While there is some validity to your statement, it is a gross over generalization. There are some amazing single DD IEMs now that have excellent instrument separation, imaging, soundstage, and micro detail, better than many multi-driver IEMs. The good thing is that they generally also maintain the cohesive sound and natural timbral characteristic. Single DD IEMs are coming back with a vengence!

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #585 of 1,891
^
I will be comparing the FD5 to the Fearless S8 pro ($540). Will see how they fare against the 8 highly technical BAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back