FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #556 of 1,891
I would say the spatial capability/accuracy of these in FPS games beats(AKA is more accurate, and sounds more natural) every headphone I've ever heard into the $500's, by a long shot. IEMs seem to provide a more connected, natural sound to the game space than headphones, probably mostly due to much better isolation(but I'm not quite sure). It just feels like headphones are more external, and therefore there's more things that can get between your brain and the drivers to pollute the sound, compared to IEMs. No headphone I've heard has impressed me with SQ like this besides HE6 & LCD-3, which is a terrible shame that SQ at this level costs so much in a headphone :frowning2: The FD5 probably still has more impressive spatial performance than HE6 & LCD-3, even at that price range.
Thats why we need chi-fi to revolutionize the headphone world as well. They are way too expensive and yet iems still surpass them (at least in my experience).

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #557 of 1,891
@FiiO Kang
Once again please
Unfortunately I'm very impatient when it comes to these iems. You already answered soon, but can you give me approximate date whem will FD5 be available on Amazon DE or Hifi Passion (Germany)?
Ideally I would like to buy them from EU, but if "soon" is in a month or two then I have to look for other sellers. Yes I know Fiio Official Store at Ali Express has them so does Hifigo, but as I said I would very much prefer European seller.
Where are you in Germany? Leave your contact information (phone or email). I'll ask my German agent to contact you.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #558 of 1,891
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #559 of 1,891
My review of the FD5:

Build notes:
  • It's pretty gorgeous.
  • Fit is not bad. A bit shallow. I do find myself re-seating the FD5 in my ear every ~20 minutes. A longer ear tip might help (e.g. Sednas) but I tested with the stock Balanced tips.
  • Cable looks nice, though it's a bit stiff. The termination swapping is really nice, I hope this kind of thing becomes more common. Vs. Dunu's mechanism, Fiio's isn't quite as slick -- you gotta unscrew the sleeve and then pull (quite hard) to remove the connectors -- but the end result is a cable that looks much more normal. There's no visual indicator that the termination is swappable, it's quite svelte.
  • Comes with swappable nozzles. The alt nozzles are much narrower than the stock nozzles, and only work with the supplied 3-flange ear tips. So if you're gonna use the alt nozzles, you're going deep fit. I guess it does fit more stable this way.

Sound notes:

fd5.png

• It's pretty V. Lots of bass, lots of lower/mid treble, big notch in the mids.
  • Bass is pretty well done. It's the dominant part of the sound, strong impact, decent attack and lingering decay. Very good with bass guitar. Not as tight and focused as Dusk bass, but I had no issues with it smearing up the rest of the FR.
  • Lower treble can be irritating. Doesn't do great with sibilant tracks, and vocals have an aggressive edge that can at times give a slightly metallic tone. Treble detail is fine, but not standout.
  • Midrange IMO suffers. Not so much from smearing bass, it's just back in the mix resolution is not great. My favorite earphones are much stronger with vocals, so shouldn't be a big surprise that this midrange performance holds back my enjoyment of FD5.
  • Staging and image layering are decent. It's not a 2D-sounding earphone, but positional cues are not very well-defined.
  • With the alt nozzles, treble is dropped significantly. Overall becomes a much warmer, thicker sounding earphone, almost under water. I didn't spend much time with this configuration.
In total, it's a decent earphone, but FD5 at $320 is a hard sell I think, especially with Blessing 2 and now Dusk in the mix. To be honest, I prefer FH3 to FD5. Maybe if you're a bigger basshead than I am, you'll appreciate the bass dominance. I just find it kinda boring.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #560 of 1,891
The FD5 gets better and better. When i apply the Minimum Phase Fast Filter on my dac, the bass gets a little punchier and the imaging and stage are unbelievable. It gets more holographic and the stage is much deeper. Now i get the feeling to sit in front of a good pair of floorstand speakers. I love them. I believe when i get my UPOCC cable the FD5 plays even better. :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #562 of 1,891
I was forming my very positive opinion of the FD5 during my 1½ week of usage and it did not even get the minimum recommended 100 hours of burn-in time. As a dac/amp I have been using the FiiO BTR5 connected via USB to my Samsung mobile with Tidal
It seemed that the FD5s with the supplied cable, of good quality I must say, were a tad bright, though no sibilance at all. I was adviced by our cable master @Dsnuts to do some more tip rolling, which improved things immediately, thank you again.

It is unfair to form an opinion this quick, so I tied up my Samsung phone to the Ayre Codex, connected the FD5 unbalanced and what a surprise this has been. The FD5 scales up so well, all the very good aspects of these IEMs were clearly enhanced and the tad of brightness disappeared.

I am curious to see where this goes, after more running time.
Just wanted to share this part of my journey.

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #563 of 1,891
I was forming my very positive opinion of the FD5 during my 1½ week of usage and it did not even get the minimum recommended 100 hours of burn-in time. As a dac/amp I have been using the FiiO BTR5 connected via USB to my Samsung mobile with Tidal
It seemed that the FD5s with the supplied cable, of good quality I must say, were a tad bright, though no sibilance at all. I was adviced by our cable master @Dsnuts to do some more tip rolling, which improved things immediately, thank you again.

It is unfair to form an opinion this quick, so I tied up my Samsung phone to the Ayre Codex, connected the FD5 unbalanced and what a surprise this has been. The FD5 scales up so well, all the very good aspects of these IEMs were clearly enhanced and the tad of brightness disappeared.

I am curious to see where this goes, after more running time.
Just wanted to share this part of my journey.

Unfortunately the FD5 is not as straight forward as I would have liked. They are a bit all over the place depending on source, tips and cables used. I am glad you are starting to figure them out. They do require some trial and error but once you figure them out and what they match up with. They are very enjoyable and sounds great.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #564 of 1,891
@FiiO Kang
Once again please
Unfortunately I'm very impatient when it comes to these iems. You already answered soon, but can you give me approximate date whem will FD5 be available on Amazon DE or Hifi Passion (Germany)?
Ideally I would like to buy them from EU, but if "soon" is in a month or two then I have to look for other sellers. Yes I know Fiio Official Store at Ali Express has them so does Hifigo, but as I said I would very much prefer European seller.

Check out Wifimedia.eu . In stock and fast shipping. Got mine there.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #565 of 1,891
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #567 of 1,891
My review of the FD5:

Build notes:
  • It's pretty gorgeous.
  • Fit is not bad. A bit shallow. I do find myself re-seating the FD5 in my ear every ~20 minutes. A longer ear tip might help (e.g. Sednas) but I tested with the stock Balanced tips.
  • Cable looks nice, though it's a bit stiff. The termination swapping is really nice, I hope this kind of thing becomes more common. Vs. Dunu's mechanism, Fiio's isn't quite as slick -- you gotta unscrew the sleeve and then pull (quite hard) to remove the connectors -- but the end result is a cable that looks much more normal. There's no visual indicator that the termination is swappable, it's quite svelte.
  • Comes with swappable nozzles. The alt nozzles are much narrower than the stock nozzles, and only work with the supplied 3-flange ear tips. So if you're gonna use the alt nozzles, you're going deep fit. I guess it does fit more stable this way.

Sound notes:

• It's pretty V. Lots of bass, lots of lower/mid treble, big notch in the mids.
  • Bass is pretty well done. It's the dominant part of the sound, strong impact, decent attack and lingering decay. Very good with bass guitar. Not as tight and focused as Dusk bass, but I had no issues with it smearing up the rest of the FR.
  • Lower treble can be irritating. Doesn't do great with sibilant tracks, and vocals have an aggressive edge that can at times give a slightly metallic tone. Treble detail is fine, but not standout.
  • Midrange IMO suffers. Not so much from smearing bass, it's just back in the mix resolution is not great. My favorite earphones are much stronger with vocals, so shouldn't be a big surprise that this midrange performance holds back my enjoyment of FD5.
  • Staging and image layering are decent. It's not a 2D-sounding earphone, but positional cues are not very well-defined.
  • With the alt nozzles, treble is dropped significantly. Overall becomes a much warmer, thicker sounding earphone, almost under water. I didn't spend much time with this configuration.
In total, it's a decent earphone, but FD5 at $320 is a hard sell I think, especially with Blessing 2 and now Dusk in the mix. To be honest, I prefer FH3 to FD5. Maybe if you're a bigger basshead than I am, you'll appreciate the bass dominance. I just find it kinda boring.

Thanks mucho, the graph and impressions look to be closer to IER-Z1R than expected. Must be perfect match for references tuned player like AK and or Ibasso

Can you sleep with FD5?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #569 of 1,891
I can sleep with pretty much any IEM, so maybe not the best test, but yes, I can sleep with FD5.
Have you found that most IEMs prefer to shower before bed? Or after?

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #570 of 1,891
Have you found that most IEMs prefer to shower before bed? Or after?
Empire Ears: Before and After
64Audio: Before
Fiio: After
Moondrop: Before
LZ: Shower? what is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back