FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #316 of 1,891
Thanks!!

That’s exactly what I wanted to know. Even though there are IEMs that are clearly better than the NM2+ in certain aspects, the NM2+ has been my favorite single DD IEM by a large margin, but with one main weakness, IMO. That weakness is its inability to handle extremely complex and chaotic passages. It becomes congested, compressed, and 2 dimensional on those few passages. In my limited experience, beryllium-type drivers are very resistant to such compression.

So, basically, the FD5 outclasses the already exceptional NM2+ in every aspect, plus it can handle any and all types of music?
yeah it is very versatile. Of course there are some genres where you want it to be warmer (hip-hop) or more forward vocals (acoustic/vocal focused genres). But it is a very versatile iem, like the LZ A7.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #317 of 1,891
This one is well worth toiling over. I would imagine Fiio using this driver tech in future hybrids. It is clearly a step forward. They did a great job with it but some will find issue with how frontal the sound presentation is. Like I said before it isnt perfect but it is easy to get the sound to your liking via self moding or even cables and tips.

It does have a versatile tuning and is colored in the way that music lovers will enjoy. More pronounced beryllium type low rumbly bass, a fuller lower mids presentation and treble that no one will say is rolled off. In many ways the sound presentation sounds like a multi BA set. I wrote on my review I just got done reviewing the DM8 with 8 BAs on tap. The FD5 matches that set for imaging and technical ability easily. That is crazy for a single dynamic to sound like that. My Luna is the only other set that can do that. So ya Fiio is onto something. The catch there is your gonna have to take your time with the FD5.

Your gonna face some rollercoaster emotions with the FD5 like I did but in the end I have discovered it has way more advantages for sound than it does negatives. Negatives that is not too difficult to figure out. Lol. You guys will see.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #318 of 1,891
This one is well worth toiling over. I would imagine Fiio using this driver tech in future hybrids. It is clearly a step forward. They did a great job with it but some will find issue with how frontal the sound presentation is. Like I said before it isnt perfect but it is easy to get the sound to your liking via self moding or even cables and tips.

It does have a versatile tuning and is colored in the way that music lovers will enjoy. More pronounced beryllium type low rumbly bass, a fuller lower mids presentation and treble that no one will say is rolled off. In many ways the sound presentation sounds like a multi BA set. I wrote on my review I just got done reviewing the DM8 with 8 BAs on tap. The FD5 matches that set for imaging and technical ability easily. That is crazy for a single dynamic to sound like that. My Luna is the only other set that can do that. So ya Fiio is onto something. The catch there is your gonna have to take your time with the FD5.

Your gonna face some rollercoaster emotions with the FD5 like I did but in the end I have discovered it has way more advantages for sound than it does negatives. Negatives that is not too difficult to figure out. Lol. You guys will see.
Fiio only needs to have a grip on QC. Praying that there is no problem with that (unlike the FH3...).

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #319 of 1,891
.....some will find issue with how frontal the sound presentation is.

Just to clarify, when you say the sound is “frontal”, do you mean the sound is projected in front of you, like on stage, or projected right in your face?

I somehow doubt I will have remotely as crazy a rollercoaster as I did with the FDX1. That one was up-down so much it was nauseating, until I finally figured out a mod that works. I have quite a bit more tricks in my repertoire now, should I want to tune the FD5 at all.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #321 of 1,891
But , how is noice cancelation and sound leake. Thats i want to know.
It's pretty good, not as good as iems without vents at all (all BA iems) but very good. The vents don't really affect sound leakage/isolation much at all and is more for pressure alleviation.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #322 of 1,891
For the self modders. Ya the stock nozzle has nothing underneath the front grill. So if you have any experience with nozzle modding this one will be easy.

When I say frontal I mean the sound projects which a big large stage. Dont know if it is an effect of that baffle in front of the driver. But that frontal imaging I think adds to that layering of sound that is pronounced for the FD5. Sound is taller and deeper than a lot of earphones again leading to that frontal sound.

However once you figure out what works for you and what source matches up well. The sound will be top flight.

@Floris888 Sound isolation. If I was to put a number on it would be somewhere in the 24dbs of isolation. Which is an average amount. It doesn't leak any sound out. You can hear your surroundings but with music on it does a good job blocking out background noise. Here is where the narrow nozzle might help with when out and about. Narrow nozzle reduces that sense of height and depth but what it does is increases bass and lessens treble. It will be more ideal for outdoors use.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #323 of 1,891
When I say frontal I mean the sound projects which a big large stage. Dont know if it is an effect of that baffle in front of the driver. But that frontal imaging I think adds to that layering of sound that is pronounced for the FD5. Sound is taller and deeper than a lot of earphones again leading to that frontal sound.

Sound isolation. If I was to put a number on it would be somewhere in the 24dbs of isolation. Which is an average amount. It doesn't leak any sound out. You can hear your surroundings but with music on it does a good job blocking out background noise. Here is where the narrow nozzle might help with when out and about. Narrow nozzle reduces that sense of height and depth but what it does is increases bass and lessens treble. It will be more ideal for outdoors use.
Excellent!!!!! That is exactly how I like the imaging. Not super intimate, like the singer is actually breathing on you, but more projected, like how a pair of speakers images. :thumbsup:

Great point. The narrow nozzle tuning is better for outside, plus if you use the multi-flange ear tips, the isolation will also be great. One can just keep the tips on the nozzles, and change them out when needed.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #324 of 1,891
Excellent!!!!! That is exactly how I like the imaging. Not super intimate, like the singer is actually breathing on you, but more projected, like how a pair of speakers images. :thumbsup:

Great point. The narrow nozzle tuning is better for outside, plus if you use the multi-flange ear tips, the isolation will also be great. One can just keep the tips on the nozzles, and change them out when needed.
Do keep in mind that the narrow nozzle with the triple flange is a very deep insertion. Too much for me and made me very scared that I was going to penetrate my ear drums lol.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #325 of 1,891
Do keep in mind that the narrow nozzle with the triple flange is a very deep insertion. Too much for me and made me very scared that I was going to penetrate my ear drums lol.
True, but I’m used to Etymotic IEMs.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #326 of 1,891
Jan 3, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #327 of 1,891

Intimate stage I associate with cheap sound. There is nothing cheap sounding about the FD5. For folks that like their earphone sound on a technical level these have it. Sound presentation is larger in scope that most earphones. It has a tall deep and wide sound making it more circular. The only other earphones that I have this tall sound presentation is my TSMR-2 and TSMR-3 pro. Those sound a bit boxy in comparison. The FD5 on the other hand has that projected space thing happening.

When you hear vocal tracks your gonna notice just how airy the sound can get. It is very addictive. As per speed. I do think the FD5 is one of the more speedier earphones. It shouldn't have any issue with your speediest tracks. Having that spacious layering to the sound helps,. DLC is one of the stiffest materials for dynamics so nothing lags. 1.5 tesla rated magnets help there too.

Maybe this is the reason why the sound can get a bit edgy. It is maybe too fast. Lol.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #328 of 1,891
How is the fd5 compared to the likes of moondrop kxxs and shuoer tape? Interested to find your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Jan 3, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #329 of 1,891
How is the fd5 compared to the likes of moondrop kxxs and shuoer tape? Interested to find your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Not in the same league at all. Tape is very unnatural sounding and unique but has that 3.5k peak. KXXS doesnt compete in the market anymore (killed by their own starfield even).

Jan 3, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #330 of 1,891
Not in the same league at all. Tape is very unnatural sounding and unique but has that 3.5k peak. KXXS doesnt compete in the market anymore (killed by their own starfield even).
Not in the same league but for me kanas pro still has the best vocals I've heard of any iem I own (hopefully fd5 will finally take care of that). very sweet and emotional but slightly outdated drivers for these days. Also I prefer them more then kxxs and starfield because for some reason they have quicker transients (probably due to tuning) and sound more brighter which I like. More richer and emotional mids then the oxygens aswell. Oxygen just have 'slight' bit more bit more speed, separation and overall bass performance but I prefer the delicious mids and tasteful treble of my kpe more. My favourite iem for vocal recitations I listen to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back