FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #1,651 of 1,891
Hello I actually sent them to a local authorized seller and as @Dsnuts here suggested is some kind of oxidation/condensation. They said they will replace them if something changes in sound but as I can see there is nothing to worry about 🙂 I have discussed this with your support
Dear Nas Volokin,

Ok, thanks for the kind feedback.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 20, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,652 of 1,891
The FD5 pairs wonderfully with the FIIO K5 Pro ESS. Even tho they're an IEM that don't need AMPing as they're easy to drive, this desktop combo really brings out the detail and large scale they're capable of and keeps the bass controlled.

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,653 of 1,891
The FD5 pairs wonderfully with the FIIO K5 Pro ESS. Even tho they're an IEM that don't need AMPing as they're easy to drive, this desktop combo really brings out the detail and large scale they're capable of and keeps the bass controlled.
Dear harry501501,

Glad to hear about that. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,654 of 1,891
Hello everyone. I haven't visited this thread for a very long time, because I was dissaponted with how shrilling and shouty my FD5 was. I've traveled to a lot of iems since then: FiiO FD3, BLON BL03, 7Hz Timeless, Tripowin Mele, Audiosense AQ0, Tri I3 Pro, FiiO FHE. But on my audio journey I always was noting that none of this iems were perfect. The most tonally appealing was AQ0, but the detail retrieval was pretty average, if not below that. I'm a basshead+metalhead by nature, so I wanted to find something that'll be bass heavy yet technical yet comfortable for long listening. It's pretty tough request, isn't it? The closest to this was Tri I3 Pro, but they have a huge problem, which I can do nothing about: the isolation. I often listen to music in transport, so it was really sad for me. But the things have changed when I've tried to mod my FD5 after around 9 months of not using them. Here's what I did:
1) I've replaced the nozzles with a bass nozzles from FD3.
2) I've put foam filters from 7Hz Timeless in the nozzles.
3) I've used FiiO FHE cable.
4) The tips I've used is some cheap black and red tips from Aliexpress, which I found very bassy and treble taming.
And now, my FD5 became exact what I wanted them to be since I bought them: bass is tight, fast, heavy, punchy and well textured, mids are not fatiguing, quite warm-ish, yet detailed and very natural, realistic, and treble is not sharp, yet extended, clean and smooth. The soundstage has narrowed a little bit, but I think it's quite cheap price for having such a wonderful IEM in the end. I'm glad that I gave FD5 a second chance. Thank you for reading and sorry for my English, if I wrote something incorrect.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,655 of 1,891
Hello everyone. I didn't visited this thread for a very long time, bevause I was dissaponted with how shrilling and shouty my FD5 was. I've traveled to a lot of iems since then: FiiO FD3, BLON BL03, 7Hz Timeless, Tripowin Mele, Audiosense AQ0, Tri I3 Pro, FiiO FHE. But on my audio journey I always mentioned that none of this iems were perfect. The most tonally appealing was AQ0, but the detail retrieval was pretty average, if not below that. I'm a basshead+metalhead by nature, so I wanted to find something that'll be bass heavy yet technical yet comfortable for long listening. It's pretty tough request, isn't it? The closest to this was Tri I3 Pro, but they have a huge problem, which I can do nothing about: the isolation. I often listen to music in transport, so it was really sad for me. But the things have changed when I've tried to mod my FD5 after around 9 months of not using them. Here's what I did:
1) I've replaced the nozzles with a bass nozzles from FD3.
2) I've put foam filters from 7Hz Timeless in the nozzles.
3) I've used FiiO FHE cable.
4) The tips I've used is some cheap black and red tips from Aliexpress, which I found very bassy and treble taming.
And now, my FD5 became exact what I wanted them to be since I bought them: bass is tight, fast, heavy, punchy and well textured, mids are not fatiguing, quite warm-ish, yet detailed and very natural, realistic, and treble is not sharp, yet extended, clean and smooth. The soundstage has narrowed a little bit, but I think it's quite cheap price for having such a wonderful IEM in the end. I'm glad that I gave FD5 a second chance. Thank you for reading and sorry for my English, if I wrote something incorrect.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I always thought that fd5 technically is super impressive for dynamic driver but their tuning could have been done better especially in treble. They have a little too strong pressence. But they are also very tip dependant. So you could change the shortcomings here with experimenting with tips only also getting what you got modifying your harder way. And for metal they could be a dream iem (not all really knowing that). Also if your source is less treble focused with some smoother tuning or more neutral then it helps fd 5 become what it should be. It really very good iem at the end not worthly disqualified by many. I use it still very often even if i got timeless which also modified by using proper tips and geting even better ..

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,657 of 1,891
For me the biggest positive EQ change I made with the FD5 is to boost 1k by 2-3 dB and 2k by 1-1.5 dB. (I do drop 4k and 8k too but I like a relaxed lower treble.) I think most audiophiles will appreciate how easy it is to take the FD5 from V-shape to bassy neutral. For me, it's worth it because I don't think there's a better 1DD in terms of technicalities in this price range. Only the new planars can compete but they're harder to EQ.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #1,658 of 1,891
I love my Hook-X for general music, and Timeless does great in-game and with music, but they can't touch what FD5 can do in-game for detail retrieval and spatial performance(distancing+directional accuracy, in a natural stage shape presentation). FD7 is a very different thing compared to FD5, as well. I haven't heard anything that can out-do FD5 yet, for in-game performance.

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #1,659 of 1,891
well fellas, after 1 year and 5 months; my fd5's left side has gotten weaker. the treble is there but the bass is gone. ive used my set almost everyday for more than 8hrs. there is probably more than 4,000 hours on them. things really started going out after 1 year. first the cable, then the filters came off, and now there's no bass on the left side. out of warranty, now can't get a replacement. :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,660 of 1,891
well fellas, after 1 year and 5 months; my fd5's left side has gotten weaker. the treble is there but the bass is gone. ive used my set almost everyday for more than 8hrs. there is probably more than 4,000 hours on them. things really started going out after 1 year. first the cable, then the filters came off, and now there's no bass on the left side. out of warranty, now can't get a replacement. :frowning2:
Buy a new set then? You've hammered them, it's hardly surprising 😂

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,662 of 1,891
Have you tried switching the connections around (left cable to right earpiece . . .), to see if the problem stays with left side ?

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,664 of 1,891
I love my Hook-X for general music, and Timeless does great in-game and with music, but they can't touch what FD5 can do in-game for detail retrieval and spatial performance(distancing+directional accuracy, in a natural stage shape presentation). FD7 is a very different thing compared to FD5, as well. I haven't heard anything that can out-do FD5 yet, for in-game performance.

I must admit, for me personally, the FD5 is just ok for gaming. It lacks some front to back depth. Not saying it's bad tho. Better than a lot of IEMs and headphones even for gaming.

The Letsheour S12 easily betters it in games for space and directional cues (for me anyway). The FD5 can sound a wee bit aggressive at times depending on the game which can get fatiguing.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,665 of 1,891
The FD5 can sound a wee bit aggressive at times depending on the game which can get fatiguing.
Oh, for sure. The treble energy and extension is part of what makes its 3D performance so incredible. Along with the semi-open shell, which is why I doubt closed shells can compete with the air, distancing, and sheer sense of space it provides. I'll try this S12 out and see, though I doubt it will out-do Timeless for sense of space and imaging, but could possibly out-do Hook-X for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back