FiiO In-Ear Monitors EX1 2nd gen is on the market now !
Feb 23, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #61 of 99
I purchased these from https://www.samma3a.com/en/products/fiio/ex1-2nd-gen-headphones-309.html for $75 (which is really good considering I live in the US and these shipped from the UAE) and I love them so far. I'd give a full review but I don't consider myself qualified considering I'm coming from $10 earbuds and my other cans are the ATH M50s. But I am very impressed with the sound. 

I can't speak for every head-if member but I enjoy reading impressions that span a wide range of experience and knowledge. I find it helps for getting a feel of the relative performance of piece of equipment. E.g; Foocorp's Audio Maximizer seems to be in a sweet spot at the $50 price level, Audiovana's $100,000 God DAC sent one person to heavenly audio heights while another person couldn't hear a difference between it and their Yggdrasil, etc etc.

My point being I for one always welcome impressions! :)

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #63 of 99
I got a chance for demoing a pair at the shop yesterday. Though it is technically impressive, the tuning is not my cup of tea so unfortunately I won't be getting it (mid is too recessed, and the sounds overall feels "thin", and I tried all the stock tips). A shame because the build quality is excellent (save for the control button which is a bit wonky, but still tolerable given the price). I do suggest trying it out first if one has a chance.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #64 of 99
  I got a chance for demoing a pair at the shop yesterday. Though it is technically impressive, the tuning is not my cup of tea so unfortunately I won't be getting it (mid is too recessed, and the sounds overall feels "thin", and I tried all the stock tips). A shame because the build quality is excellent (save for the control button which is a bit wonky, but still tolerable given the price). I do suggest trying it out first if one has a chance.

Thanks, this is what I'm actually looking for.  

Maybe I look forward to Fiio F3.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #65 of 99
Do they only come with the inline remote? My current EX1 1st Gen cable is has got a crack/cut so will probably need replacement soon.  I use them also for sports so the remote's extra weight would be annoying.  Looks like they upgraded them quite a bit - look forward to reading more reviews once they start coming in.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #66 of 99

After a couple weeks with the Ex1 I would have to agree with the sound being somewhat thin. For the genres I listen too, bass heavy hip hop music, the bass on these seems kind of weak. Soundstage however is very very good though.

The worst part for me is that these headphones don't seem to be fully compatible with iPhones, I read that the volume buttons wouldn't work but any slight tug or turn on the jack and the sound goes in and out. I've tested this with several iPhones and it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

They aren't terrible but I guess I was expecting a little more. I would probably just return them for the iPhone problem if I hadn't bought them from the UAE.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #70 of 99
  Do they only come with the inline remote? My current EX1 1st Gen cable is has got a crack/cut so will probably need replacement soon.  I use them also for sports so the remote's extra weight would be annoying.  Looks like they upgraded them quite a bit - look forward to reading more reviews once they start coming in.

yes, only one version and the inline remote works great in our X1II/X5III 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #71 of 99
I would say the big difference between this and the 1st gen are the following.
Listening 
>"Maria Maria" Gmb & Santana and "Smooth" Rob Thomas with Santana.
My 2 cents:

[*]Much cleaner sound overall and more neutral 
[*]The highs aren't in your face they are subdued compared to gen 1 (gen 1 are more in your face and louder)
[*]Mid's again cleaner but, not that much difference between gen 1
[*]Instruments sound more natural and crisp (gen 1 sounds a little muddled compared to these)
[*]Soundstage about equal (again cleaner)

Drawbacks

>Bass is thin compared to the gen 1 ( by a lot )
[*]Not as loud sound wise ( the gen 1 gets loud but, again feels in your face compared to these) they are definitely more neutral across the spectrum.
[*]Have some flatness
[*]If a basshead than I would avoid these for sure

Overall I like them they are an upgrade in sound quality as a whole from low, mid to high's. They are easy listening and really more neutral compared to the first gen ( I would say gen 1 is brighter and slightly muddled  compared to these if that makes sense).These will appeal to those whose really want a clean, neutral sound and crisper separation of vocals and instruments compared to Gen 1.

>Bonus: These were less expensive than the Gen1 ( Cost on Amazon Gen 2 $59.99)

Bare with me I am new to all this but, have good taste in audio equipment so I know the difference in sound quality.My Equipment Oppo PM 3, Sennheiser Momentum 2nd Gen w/bluetooth, Schiit Fulla 2, Soundmagic E80, Fiio EX1 1st gen and now 2nd, home set up Yamaha Aventage RX-A850, Platnium Front, Rear and center (old school but some of the best budget sound speakers under 5k) and EMP Impression Series 10 inch sub. Sold recently Oppo HA-2 DAC/AMP.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #72 of 99
Need some help here. I'm looking for foam-tips for EX1II, not sure what size will be ok. There is no information about it on official web-site, or anywhere else. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #73 of 99
  Need some help here. I'm looking for foam-tips for EX1II, not sure what size will be ok. There is no information about it on official web-site, or anywhere else. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

If you go to complyfoam.com and click "compatibility finder" in the top right corner, then type in Fiio, the Ex1's should show up. I'm pretty sure the second gen is the same size as the first, at least judging by the pictures.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #75 of 99
I would say the big difference between this and the 1st gen are the following.
Listening 
>"Maria Maria" Gmb & Santana and "Smooth" Rob Thomas with Santana.
My 2 cents:

[*]Much cleaner sound overall and more neutral 
[*]The highs aren't in your face they are subdued compared to gen 1 (gen 1 are more in your face and louder)
[*]Mid's again cleaner but, not that much difference between gen 1
[*]Instruments sound more natural and crisp (gen 1 sounds a little muddled compared to these)
[*]Soundstage about equal (again cleaner)

Drawbacks

>Bass is thin compared to the gen 1 ( by a lot )
[*]Not as loud sound wise ( the gen 1 gets loud but, again feels in your face compared to these) they are definitely more neutral across the spectrum.
[*]Have some flatness
[*]If a basshead than I would avoid these for sure

Overall I like them they are an upgrade in sound quality as a whole from low, mid to high's. They are easy listening and really more neutral compared to the first gen ( I would say gen 1 is brighter and slightly muddled  compared to these if that makes sense).These will appeal to those whose really want a clean, neutral sound and crisper separation of vocals and instruments compared to Gen 1.

>Bonus: These were less expensive than the Gen1 ( Cost on Amazon Gen 2 $59.99)

Bare with me I am new to all this but, have good taste in audio equipment so I know the difference in sound quality.My Equipment Oppo PM 3, Sennheiser Momentum 2nd Gen w/bluetooth, Schiit Fulla 2, Soundmagic E80, Fiio EX1 1st gen and now 2nd, home set up Yamaha Aventage RX-A850, Platnium Front, Rear and center (old school but some of the best budget sound speakers under 5k) and EMP Impression Series 10 inch sub. Sold recently Oppo HA-2 DAC/AMP.

How are these in comparison to your soundmagic E80's? Would these be an upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back