FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 10, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #2,776 of 2,785
Very good review.

Totally agree ๐Ÿ‘

Out of the box, they are really good. But with a few tricks (tips, cable, a few - very simple but effective - mods), they became just... terrific ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜…

Monsters ๐Ÿ˜ถโ€๐ŸŒซ๏ธ๐Ÿ”ฅ

I am accustomed to some elite iems, some of the very best out there, if not the very best available (PMG APX, Vision Ears Erlkoning, my Aure Ringo, Final a8000, etc... and a lot more, about the most hyped products of the planet... every prices and technologies).

This being said, my "DSW Tuned" Fh9 (see my signature and different posts about my mods) are fully competitive. Everything. And a lot more better than a lot of so said "totl products" : balance in one word. But this is not the only word.

This is not a posture.

Main flaws : a little metallic flavor for the timbres. Not every time, but time to time. And a little lack of "magic" : no prisoners and no mercy ๐Ÿ˜…. If I am thinking about the best products I know (APX, Ringo...), in comparison. That's all.

Period ๐Ÿ’ฅ
What witchcraft is this? Removed the green rings (not as easy as it sounds) listened and more atmosphere more space less veiled, not there they sounded veiled before but more clarity is perceived details are crisper. Your experiments have been invaluable for me continued enjoyment of this chameleon iem that's really stood the test of time.

May 11, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #2,777 of 2,785
What witchcraft is this? Removed the green rings (not as easy as it sounds) listened and more atmosphere more space less veiled, not there they sounded veiled before but more clarity is perceived details are crisper. Your experiments have been invaluable for me continued enjoyment of this chameleon iem that's really stood the test of time.
Incredible uh ?! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‰

Bingo, this is it... Good job Sir. ๐Ÿ˜ŽโœŒ๏ธ

Monsters... ๐Ÿคฏ

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #2,778 of 2,785
The FH9 simply checks all the boxes for me. No tweaks needed whatsoever. I use mine every 2 weeks (or more) on purpose. And every single time I try them there's the WOW factor. For me, the key to this hobby is diversity, i.e., a collection with multiple sound signatures.

FiiO will have to work really hard to make the new FH19 worthy to be called as successor -- unless they KZify or Moondropify themselves by re-shelling and re-packaging into a new product.

Bar was set really high with the FH9.
Hum... You should try the tweaks... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just by curiosity. It's super easy and reversible. ๐Ÿ˜‡

Then the potential "fh19" will not be a priority (anymore ?)... ๐Ÿ˜…

Believe me (us) ๐Ÿ˜ŽโœŒ๏ธ

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #2,779 of 2,785
FH9 is clearly my best all-rounder IEM and gives an amazing speaker-like experience.

But i still have a big soft spot for FH7. It doesn't have the slam, the mid-bass the FH9 has. Its treble is not as refined and stage not as deep as FH9....but FH7 remains my supreme iem for classical music and jazz.That horn section timbre is addictive.
That lean and fast but very present sub-bass, taller and a bit wider stage,that extremely resolving and a bit recessed midrange...make it very special to me and quite different from FH9 even though it's not as versatile.

If i was forced to take only one IEM on a desert island it would be FH9. If i was allowed to take only 2 ....they would be FH7 and Prestige LTD .

May 13, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #2,780 of 2,785
I just ended the DAC game.

1000030326-04.jpeg

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #2,781 of 2,785
Hello all Fiio enthusiasts!

I am a musician and have been using Alclair In-Ear customs for about the last 12 years. My body ears have changed through that time of course and I've used all kinds of "custom monitor" tricks to keep them fitting securely with a nice seal, but they never really fit great anyway and always required some pipe tape in spots to seal perfectly in all honesty.

But for the last few shows I've been just using the IEMs I use for my own personal rehearsal and practice in my music room. Ultimate Ears UE900s. I must be honest, as a bassist the UE900s are sooooo great, and it's time to start saving for some custom in ears again, or have my Alclairs re-shelled.

But...my girl's little puppy chewed them up, he loves to lick my ears, so makes sense he'd love to lick and chew my headphones!

So I'm thinking of getting the FH7s that are $299 on Amazon or $275 on AliExpress....or even the FH9 from Bright Audio AliExpress store for $450.

Any insight or help? Should I take this to the help/recommendations forum?

May 17, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #2,782 of 2,785
Any insight or help?

This is my perspective: the FH7S is a midbass cannon, and I guess it would suite you better on a stage. It is also lighter and smaller than the FH9. Both have dedicated subwoofers, and you can't go wrong with either.

As far as the fit and seal goes, I typically handle that with a bigger eartip. I should also be able to recommend some eartips for an improved sealing, if needed. This is my usage with them:
- FH7S: for walks and in the gym; when finished I just wipe them out and store them back in the case.
- FH9: for home listening.

One caveat with both models -- for a stage musician -- is that they're vented. Hence, external noise may bleed into your ears. When walking, I typically solve that by increasing the volume, typically 20dB louder than external environment. Note I'm very positive I'm still listening on 80dB average (or lower). Not sure if this would be an issue for you though. However, open designs also mean a more natural sound and no pressure build-up in the ear canals whatsoever.

Another caveat -- conditioned to the weather, and since both are made of metal -- is condensation build-up in the nozzles. You may have to dry that out every half-hour or so, before the humidity start clogging the BAs. I'm sure BA driver clogging is a multi-brand issue though.

Good luck. ๐Ÿ‘

May 17, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #2,783 of 2,785
This is my perspective: the FH7S is a midbass cannon, and I guess it would suite you better on a stage. It is also lighter and smaller than the FH9. Both have dedicated subwoofers, and you can't go wrong with either.

As far as the fit and seal goes, I typically handle that with a bigger eartip. I should also be able to recommend some eartips for an improved sealing, if needed. This is my usage with them:
- FH7S: for walks and in the gym; when finished I just wipe them out and store them back in the case.
- FH9: for home listening.

One caveat with both models -- for a stage musician -- is that they're vented. Hence, external noise may bleed into your ears. When walking, I typically solve that by increasing the volume, typically 20dB louder than external environment. Note I'm very positive I'm still listening on 80dB average (or lower). Not sure if this would be an issue for you though. However, open designs also mean a more natural sound and no pressure build-up in the ear canals whatsoever.

Another caveat -- conditioned to the weather, and since both are made of metal -- is condensation build-up in the nozzles. You may have to dry that out every half-hour or so, before the humidity start clogging the BAs. I'm sure BA driver clogging is a multi-brand issue though.

Good luck. ๐Ÿ‘
Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply. This is super helpful!!!

May 18, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #2,784 of 2,785
Yes, vented design = don't think about them on stage.

This being said : Fh9 are a beast ๐Ÿ˜…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back