FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #2,402 of 2,785
Anybody has any experience comparing the FH9 with the Fir Audio VxV?
I'm looking for an IEM for everyday use and these two are at the top of my list,

Just what I have read about VxV the FH9 sounds way more superior. The FH9 has really flag ship like feel and qualities. The VxV looks like a toy.
But you never sure until you A/B them.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #2,403 of 2,785
The FA9 is different to the FH9 in several ways.

You can modify the sound on the FH9 by using the tubes. These tubes to block/open/modify the soundpath. That is different to the FA9 where the tuning switches control the amount of electricity that goes into them. That is obviously the better way to control the tuning than just blocking the sound path that can cause weird effects of overlaying frequencies.

The FA9 (Especially with Moondrops MIS T55 Tips) isolates much stronger than the FH9. You can use the FA as an earplug/ohropax replacement while the FH9 is open and isolates very bad, by design. So that is not an defect, it is an intentional choice by FiiO.

The FA9 is significantly faster and does have an cleaner and more direct Bass. The Bass Quality is much higher than with the FH9, but the Bass quantity is lower in stock Version. When you choose the "Pop" setting or the Bass Boost Setting, the Bass is as strong as with the FA9, but has a different kind of impact.

The Upper Mids/lower treble on the FA9 are much more natural and pleasing compared to the FH9. That means that vocals don't pop as strong on the FA9, but at the same time, there is no issue with sharp S/Z or weird sounding cymbals or anything like that which can appear with a lot of songs with the FH9

The FA9 needs good foam (the ones that are shipped with it are garbage) like the MIS T55 while the FH9 sounds good with all tips. Especially the Bass on the FA9 is very weak and has no impact if you use silicone tips due to air pressure issues or with the foam because they are horroundasly garbagy.

The FA9 is better than the FH9 in pretty much everything as long you use the above mentioned MIS T55 Tips.

The FH9 does have, due to the dynamic driver and the Sound Pipe, and effect of compressed air. Some people think that is very pleasing and adds to the fun because you feel the sound more, but unlike the XBA-Z5 or IER-Z1R, that is an very unnatural and forced ""effect"" i personally don't like that much.

So if you own the FA9, i don't see much reason to get the FH9.

So the FH9 sounds more "wow" and more "sensational" at first impressions, but at closer inspection you notice that this is archived with a lot of ketchup and mustard that covers quiete an large amount of the original flavour.
The comparison was also very useful for me because it taught me to get to know my FA9 even better. Well yes I have no intention of replacing them with the FH9, however I think I can get good bass impact with the silicone tips too but maybe I need to do more comparisons. I will try the foam tips you recommended, I found them for a good price on AliExpress

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #2,404 of 2,785
Just what I have read about VxV the FH9 sounds way more superior. The FH9 has really flag ship like feel and qualities. The VxV looks like a toy.
A/B-ing them would be difficult for me, but looking at the Freq graphs there are a lot of similarities.
Screenshot 2023-03-16 135656.png

The reason why the VxV appeals to me is that the general consensus in reviews is that it is a very comfortable sound, very suitable for long time wear.
I think the FH9 follows that same pattern, but i also read that it can be a bit too much to listen to for longer sessions.
But you are right , i need to demo them to get a better impression.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,405 of 2,785
I see you've got both the FH9 and JD7? Would you mind sharing some details on how both compare, im thinking of getting the JD7 to complement the FH9

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #2,406 of 2,785
Does anyone know how this compares to Xenns UP and Shuoer Kinda Lava? I have a Hook-X and I was thinking of something complementary (but superior and less complicated for amplification). UP, FH9 and Lava were recommendations that put me on a higher level than Raptgo.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #2,407 of 2,785
A/B-ing them would be difficult for me, but looking at the Freq graphs there are a lot of similarities.

The reason why the VxV appeals to me is that the general consensus in reviews is that it is a very comfortable sound, very suitable for long time wear.
I think the FH9 follows that same pattern, but i also read that it can be a bit too much to listen to for longer sessions.
But you are right , i need to demo them to get a better impression.

I would suggest not to rely too much on the graphs. They are helpful in some ways but can be very misguiding on the other hand.

I can only speak about FH9, they are very detailed not relaxed but lot of fun for sure. They are both technical and musical for me.
I especially like the FH9 bass texture... I wish I could compare them to the IER-Z1R.. some say the bass quality is very close.
But as I described before for this bass experience you need to EQ them a bit or use some kind of mod. Just the black filter wont do it!
A slight sub-bass boost makes them completely different experience (13.6mm beryllium-coated diamond like-carbon dynamic driver) this driver makes
a lot of difference compare to others.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,408 of 2,785
The comparison was also very useful for me because it taught me to get to know my FA9 even better. Well yes I have no intention of replacing them with the FH9, however I think I can get good bass impact with the silicone tips too but maybe I need to do more comparisons. I will try the foam tips you recommended, I found them for a good price on AliExpress
They are highly recommended. T55 is the way to go with the FA9

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #2,409 of 2,785
I would suggest not to rely too much on the graphs. They are helpful in some ways but can be very misguiding on the other hand.

I can only speak about FH9, they are very detailed not relaxed but lot of fun for sure. They are both technical and musical for me.
I especially like the FH9 bass texture... I wish I could compare them to the IER-Z1R.. some say the bass quality is very close.
But as I described before for this bass experience you need to EQ them a bit or use some kind of mod. Just the black filter wont do it!
A slight sub-bass boost makes them completely different experience (13.6mm beryllium-coated diamond like-carbon dynamic driver) this driver makes
I bought an In-Ear that measured almost perfectly to an In-Ear i already owned because i was curious. It was an day and night difference in all aspects.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #2,410 of 2,785
I see you've got both the FH9 and JD7? Would you mind sharing some details on how both compare, im thinking of getting the JD7 to complement the FH9

My pleasure. The JD7 are awesome. I am using them for travelling. They are very well made (but the cable is crap) and they have very nice tuning. They literally do not need any EQ at all. They are great just straight from the phone. Very nice deep bass, good details retrieval, fast and dynamic. For the price they are extremely good. Note that these are single dynamic ones.... this is not a problem but when compared to ZS10 (hybrids) I can hear the sound coming from one place and I am missing the surround sound like a bit.

Not to confuse you, technically the JD7 are fantastic but there is something about hybrids like ZS10 and FH9 that stands out. (Mean how the sound is presented). I definitely do recommend JD7 I would not give them away, great allrounder for any genre you throw at them. Thats how I would classified them "Extremely Good Allrounder" on the budget.

The FH9 are definitely on a different level. The amount of details and the bass texture are phenomenal really. The open vents add airiness to the sound and its really noticeable. The packaging, cable, accessories that is all really a flag ship stuff. I strongly believe the FH9 can compete with many iems over the 1k budget range, and many maniacs here will confirm that :)

The FH9 are monsters!

As mentioned I surely prefer hybrids over the single dynamics but i wanted to have ones in my collection. I have made my research and did go for JD7 and I am not disappointed. Those great reviews JD7 are receiving are correct. Have to mention their look and built (sound actually too) feels like they are in way higher price category.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #2,411 of 2,785

I have both the FH9 and IER Z1R. I look at the bass in the two like this:

The bass of the FH9 is outstanding to me. The overwhelming majority of what I listen to is dance music, so bass is a very big deal for me. I was blown away by the FH9 when first got them, then even more so when I found tips that worked better for me. I thought I reached my endgame portable setup, tbh. FH9 with the balanced filter, Sedna Earfit Large Silicon tips driven by a Shanling M6 Ultra.

I always was interested in the IER Z1R based on the experiences I read for ages, but I was also super happy with the FH9. I got a promotion I was working on for a while at the office, so I decided this was the time to finally see what the big deal is with the Sony. I loved what I heard. The best way I can describe the difference in bass between the two is with the word "density". They both have delicious bass, in both quantity and quality - though I think the Sony edges out the FH9 in both those metrics. $1100 difference in those two metrics? To me, no. But the Z1R bass presentation is more dense to me. I think another word people around here use is "meaty", but I just prefer "density", lol. It has that authority a real-deal subwoofer gives. Again, the FH9 isn't far off. Like at ALL. I prefer the mids on the FH9 and the treble on the Z1R.

Again, $1100 is a big difference in price, and I've never given a thought to selling the FH9 now that I have the Sony. I see myself holding on to both of them for the foreseeable future and look forward to picking up both the FH19 and IER Z2R when they're both released because they current ones are both that damned good.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,412 of 2,785
I have both the FH9 and IER Z1R. I look at the bass in the two like this:

The bass of the FH9 is outstanding to me. The overwhelming majority of what I listen to is dance music, so bass is a very big deal for me. I was blown away by the FH9 when first got them, then even more so when I found tips that worked better for me. I thought I reached my endgame portable setup, tbh. FH9 with the balanced filter, Sedna Earfit Large Silicon tips driven by a Shanling M6 Ultra.

I always was interested in the IER Z1R based on the experiences I read for ages, but I was also super happy with the FH9. I got a promotion I was working on for a while at the office, so I decided this was the time to finally see what the big deal is with the Sony. I loved what I heard. The best way I can describe the difference in bass between the two is with the word "density". They both have delicious bass, in both quantity and quality - though I think the Sony edges out the FH9 in both those metrics. $1100 difference in those two metrics? To me, no. But the Z1R bass presentation is more dense to me. I think another word people around here use is "meaty", but I just prefer "density", lol. It has that authority a real-deal subwoofer gives. Again, the FH9 isn't far off. Like at ALL. I prefer the mids on the FH9 and the treble on the Z1R.

Again, $1100 is a big difference in price, and I've never given a thought to selling the FH9 now that I have the Sony. I see myself holding on to both of them for the foreseeable future and look forward to picking up both the FH19 and IER Z2R when they're both released because they current ones are both that damned good.

Thanks for these info. I am glad you confirmed that the bass is not far from the Z1R, I was expecting this. I might upgrade at the end of this year for now my shortlist is (Monarch mk2, Mest mk2, Z1R). I might start with Monarch mk2. Cant imagine the Z1R or Monarch mk2 with the right EQ... must be end game :)

Regarding the highs on the FH9. I actually use green filters with slight push in EQ, they sound very impressive, sparkly and airy. They are not harsh at all. Only problem I had with FH9 was with the shouty upper mids but that is gone now with right EQ. If the trebles are also close to the Z1R then we have to admit the FH9 is a masterpiece as is getting that close to the Z1R classic.

Hoping the next FiiO's hybrid flagship will reach even higher in terms of quality while the price remains D D

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #2,414 of 2,785
Thanks for these info. I am glad you confirmed that the bass is not far from the Z1R, I was expecting this. I might upgrade at the end of this year for now my shortlist is (Monarch mk2, Mest mk2, Z1R). I might start with Monarch mk2. Cant imagine the Z1R or Monarch mk2 with the right EQ... must be end game :)

Regarding the highs on the FH9. I actually use green filters with slight push in EQ, they sound very impressive, sparkly and airy. They are not harsh at all. Only problem I had with FH9 was with the shouty upper mids but that is gone now with right EQ. If the trebles are also close to the Z1R then we have to admit the FH9 is a masterpiece as is getting that close to the Z1R classic.

Hoping the next FiiO's hybrid flagship will reach even higher in terms of quality while the price remains D D
For my listening preferences and references, the regular Fh9's are more balanced than the Z1r's.

And the Fh9's "DSW tuned" are simply... better. 😎😇😉

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #2,415 of 2,785
Bought, I'm not particularly fan of the foam tips but I'm curious to try them, thanks for the advice
I am neither, but with sealed IEM, no matter which, there is almost no other chance to get the highest sound quality + highest isolation at the same time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back