FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #2,431 of 2,806
I can report that the DSW 550 mesh filter mod is the dogs doodas sounds even better now. Awaiting my cable upgrade from Ali express to squeeze the very best out of this phenomenal iem. I have reached my personal summit with the FH9.
Thank you to @DaveStarWalker for his enthusiastic promotion of the FH9 he's found my perfect iem.
Cables make, scientifically proven, no difference in sound. So you don't have to waste money on them

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #2,432 of 2,806
I am still waiting for it to arrive, as soon as it does, I will give my impressions. I am currently using Final-E Type silicone tips and they are not bad, but sometimes I would like a bit more insulation, as for the FiiO foam tips I agree with you that they are poor
Yes, I was shocked because in the past, foam tips always did the following

- Enhance Bass
- Enhance Comfort
- Increase Isolation

The FiiO Foam do increase the isolation but beside that, they even reduce the bass and they are not comfortable either.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #2,433 of 2,806
I can report that the DSW 550 mesh filter mod is the dogs doodas sounds even better now. Awaiting my cable upgrade from Ali express to squeeze the very best out of this phenomenal iem. I have reached my personal summit with the FH9.
Thank you to @DaveStarWalker for his enthusiastic promotion of the FH9 he's found my perfect iem.
My pleasure.

And yes, it's possible that I'm only telling the truth, after all. 😇

More seriously, the mod costs almost nothing, and is very simple to do... That being said, people do what they like, like, like... 😅

I have them in my ears right now : in my top 5, ever. And always since this last summer 🌞.

I'm expecting a pair of Erlkönig's from a friend. We'll see. 👉😎👍

P.s. : you should try theses "Canal Works 肉球 Gel Narrow Bore" tips.

But... Pricey this time 😔

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #2,434 of 2,806
Cables make, scientifically proven, no difference in sound. So you don't have to waste money on them
Lol.......

You just don't have to try it (them : the "good ones") to believe it (this statement). 😉

Ok, ok.

Ah yes, there is, precisely, no scientific study, that fully and really deserves this name, which has ever been made about this particular subject.

Normal : who really cares (academic level wise) ? Apart from a handful of furious people, of which we are all, here, a full part !.... 😭😂

Precisely : I claim some of my wishes some REAL scientific studies about these cables.

But if it's done seriously, it takes time, and it's (very) expensive....

Candidates and then, a thesis ? 😉

So, solution ?

Be pragmatic, not ideologic, and (but...) always methodic. 👌

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #2,435 of 2,806
Oh yes, also to go a little further, and always for a few bucks :

You impregnate those said filters with a fine-tipped indelible (black = more classy 🥰) marker.

This stiffens the membrane, and (in particular but not only ...🫰) tightens the bass and everything that comes below, without lowering the volume of course. 😎

Guaranteed effect. 👉🤘👍

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #2,437 of 2,806
Conventional measurement systems are highly limited however not everything is scientifically measurable.
Let's say that we must give ourselves the means to measure, correctly and precisely, what can be measured.

This is the purpose of my initial reaction.

And so, strictly speaking, there is no scientific study on this particular subject.

Also and finally:

Science is not a church or revealed truth...it is a method.

But it is still necessary to really produce... real Science... not opinions (as soon as we invoke this "Science" concept).

And of course, the authority argument, moreover when it is not supported, is not an argument.

I just made one ! (amphibology :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #2,438 of 2,806
Let's say that we must give ourselves the means to measure, correctly and precisely, what can be measured.

This is the purpose of my initial reaction.

And so, strictly speaking, there is no scientific study on this particular subject.

Also and finally:

Science is not a church or revealed truth...it is a method.

But it is still necessary to really produce... real Science... not opinions (as soon as we invoke this "Science" concept).

And of course, the authority argument, moreover when it is not supported, is not an argument.

I just made one ! (amphibology :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

I agree, I think the word science is much abused nowadays, this is the meaning of my speech.

Knowledge of human experience is not an exact science, but an experience linked to contingency and to a process that evolves continuously.

What was once unmeasurable has become so today and what is currently unmeasurable could one day become so thanks to the evolution of science.

The difference between the cables is a reality, the fact that conventional measuring systems do not detect any difference is a limitation they currently cannot overcome, probably due to the background method used.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #2,439 of 2,806
Completely agreed and "in phase", so to speak :sweat_smile: :beerchug:

I reacted because it annoys me. Especially since I come from this background, scientific background...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #2,440 of 2,806
Science theory says time travel is possible so... I will be back, saying I told you so when the analysis proves what my ears tell me about the improvement some cables bring. 🎶🙉🦄

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #2,441 of 2,806
Opening and closing parenthesis, however I don't justify the crazy prices of some cables, I find this practice entirely speculative and as far as I am concerned they can keep them and use them as a noose for their neck.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #2,442 of 2,806
Science theory says time travel is possible so... I will be back, saying I told you so when the analysis proves what my ears tell me about the improvement some cables bring. 🎶🙉🦄
No science theory says that, its impossible.

E=mc² says that its not just impossible to move faster than light, it is even impossible to move at light speed or close to light speed.

You would need all the energy that is available in the universe to travel at light speed and you would need more energy than available in the universe, to travel faster than light.

Its impossible and will always be, but i assume you did not mean it anyway but my science hearts bleed reading this, don't take it offensive^^

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #2,443 of 2,806
Ok let me phrase it a bit different.

Nobody was ever able to detect the difference between an OFC, Silver and Gold cable in an blind test, nobody.

Not just that, if you cover a pure silver cable in a black coating and coat an OFC cable in silver and tell the tester, the Copper cable is an silver able and vice versa, they will tell the copper cable sounds like silver and the silver cable sounds like copper.

Last but not least, if you would be able to hear an difference, Silver Cables have more bass and sound warmer.

They do _not_, i repeat, _not_ sound clearer or more detailed or sharper or whatever.

Silver lowers the impedance, if you lower the impedance, you increase the bass.

The fact alone that most people think that silver sounds clearer proofs that this is all made up and there is no difference to begin with.

I was not talking about measurement equipment, i was talking about humans not being able to detect the difference if they can not see the cable.

If you have to see the cable to hear the difference, there is no difference.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #2,444 of 2,806
Ok let me phrase it a bit different.

Nobody was ever able to detect the difference between an OFC, Silver and Gold cable in an blind test, nobody.

Not just that, if you cover a pure silver cable in a black coating and coat an OFC cable in silver and tell the tester, the Copper cable is an silver able and vice versa, they will tell the copper cable sounds like silver and the silver cable sounds like copper.

Last but not least, if you would be able to hear an difference, Silver Cables have more bass and sound warmer.

They do _not_, i repeat, _not_ sound clearer or more detailed or sharper or whatever.

Silver lowers the impedance, if you lower the impedance, you increase the bass.

The fact alone that most people think that silver sounds clearer proofs that this is all made up and there is no difference to begin with.

I was not talking about measurement equipment, i was talking about humans not being able to detect the difference if they can not see the cable.

If you have to see the cable to hear the difference, there is no difference.
Sorry but this statement seems a bit controversial. You claim there is no difference in sound between cables. At the same time you say that silver cable lowers the impedance which results in the increased bass. Increased bass is something you would be hearing, I assume? Or am I missing something? Would you explain what you mean?

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,445 of 2,806
I often read the same statement: "No one has ever been able to recognize two or more different cables in a blind test"

That statement is the phrase that is used to ward off proponents of cable differences.

In fact, this statement is true, it is true that blind tests have been conducted where the participant has not been able to recognize the differences in sound but the opposite is also true that tests have been conducted where instead the participant has been able to perceive differences.

Who is right?

Those who put forward the theory that there is no difference are using measuring instruments that also do not detect differences (in some cases it was possible to measure the differences with specific measurements). While those who perceive the differences unfortunately do not currently have science on their side.

I myself have carried out blind tests and have been able to recognize two or more different IEM cables that I know well, I have even been able to perceive the difference of two identical cables, always with blind tests conducted with the help of my partner.

Same thing with USB cables, it seemed unbelievable to me too, while I have a hard time distinguishing interconnect cables.

So the statement: "No one has ever been able to recognize two or more different cables in a blind test" doesn't apply to me at all

That said, I think it's better to close it here because by now we know how threads end up discussing this topic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back