FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #2,266 of 2,806
Interesting, I'm surprised Fiio doesn't make mention of that on their FH9 page, that'd be something I bet a lot of people would be into when researching IEMs. Now, let me grab mine and listen to some tunes...
This is mentioned but this is not clear.

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating, yes.
Beryllium membrane (diaphragm), it seems to be the case.

I thought it was made of titanium, but apparently not. 🤔

Here it is :

https://www.fiio.com/fh9

And (it was animated) :

So I don't know.

But... It is top notch, yes 😎👍

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,267 of 2,806
PXL_20230107_153939037.jpg

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #2,271 of 2,806
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #2,273 of 2,806
Thinking about grabbing a pair of these to pair with my UTWS5.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #2,275 of 2,806
I had the chance to spend some time listening to this today.

Build quality is awesome and the design certainly a step up from the FH9/FH5s/FH9 IMO.

The mids and treble sound like you'd expect based on the graphs Fiio has released. Mids are boosted but the pinna gain is fairly relaxed compared to Harman. Upper mids/treble seem to be well extended without being elevated. Overall the mid/treble region is clear without being too 'in your face' or fatiguing. Detail in the mids is good and detail in the treble is outstanding for this price point.

The bass caused some problems for me though. Bass is boosted (again, to be expected given how it graphs) and has a strong impact but also lacks detail and can sound 'boomy'. I had trouble distinguishing the strength of different percussive hits on drums and all sense of detail was just lost on tracks that are busy in the bass region.

I need to spend some more time with this to figure out if EQ or fit can fix the bass issue, but I suspect this is a consequence of how the lower mids and midbass are tuned. Right now the bass is a deal breaker for me. It's a shame because I think if it weren't for the bass this could be a competitor for best IEM under $300.
I did spend some additional time with the FH15s. My initial thoughts still stand. There was definitely a lot of variability for me in how deeply these could be inserted and it did impact the bass response a little. Mostly I noticed that a shallower insertion tamed the boominess of the bass. If anything though, re-listening to these has only increased my criticisms of the bass. I really just don't think it's good. The track that really showed this was Massive Attack's 'Angel' - the Fiio FH15s just sounded outright broken when playing it. Shame, because I really do like the mids and treble on this.

Since I initially listened, Timmy from Gizaudio has graphed them:
https://timmyv.squig.link/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,FiiO_FH15_(Balanced),FiiO_FHE
Nothing in the graph is surprising except for how similar it is to the FHE. The surprising thing here is that although the FHE has a lot of bass but the consensus seemed to be that it worked quite well. I suspect something about the implementation of the bass in the FH15 is at issue here, rather than the overall tuning itself.

Timmy also commented on these in a recent video. His overall response sums up how I feel:

I disagree on the details though. I think the treble is quite detailed even though the treble frequencies aren't elevated. (The analogy I would use here is just because the brightness is reduced on one TV vs another it doesn't mean there's necessarily more or less detail in the image, within reason).

TL;DR I think the mids/treble tuning is great and hope to see this on future Fiio IEMs. I personally think the bass makes this set a non-starter. It just seems to me that Fiio's own FHE is probably a better option at ~$100 cheaper.

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #2,276 of 2,806
For six months, always, and more and more impressed by these FH9: this music reproduced with ease, in all its complexity but so naturally!
I have a question: I'm considering an headphone (full size) : any ideas for having musicality (at least) at the level of these FH9s (similar reproduction)?:relaxed:

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #2,277 of 2,806
For six months, always, and more and more impressed by these FH9: this music reproduced with ease, in all its complexity but so naturally!
I have a question: I'm considering an headphone (full size) : any ideas for having musicality (at least) at the level of these FH9s (similar reproduction)?:relaxed:
I'm happy with the Beyerdynamic DT1770 perhaps give them a listen, excellent sub bass 👌

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,278 of 2,806
Shanling M6 Ultra -> Fiio FH9 -> me = soulmates. I just can't get over this pairing.

PXL_20230116_133014182.jpg

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #2,279 of 2,806
I have made my homeworks.

About the over filtering for the vents, the best value is 700 (500 plus 200).

Perfect balance. Epic.

I also had fun listening to the Fh9s again, without this mod... I can't do it anymore... 😭😭🤔🧐

they are actually taken to a completely another level, thanks to this mod. Cost of the operation: a few cents.

We are talking about that :

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/10...t_main.5.21ef5e5bMjfmz1&gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

Here :

See the little circle.

Here with the right cable and tips... 😎
Have fun. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #2,280 of 2,806
I have made my homeworks.

About the over filtering for the vents, the best value is 700 (500 plus 200).

Perfect balance. Epic.

I also had fun listening to the Fh9s again, without this mod... I can't do it anymore... 😭😭🤔🧐

they are actually taken to a completely another level, thanks to this mod. Cost of the operation: a few cents.

We are talking about that :

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/10...t_main.5.21ef5e5bMjfmz1&gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

Here :

See the little circle.

Here with the right cable and tips... 😎
Have fun. :beerchug:
what do the filters do to the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back