FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #2,252 of 2,793
Sorry I meant the bass on the fh7s when compared to the fh9 any similarities or differences
Very similar in terms of sub bass extension (they use the same driver) however in terms of mid bass the FH7S is more forward as they are tuned differently, in terms of treble think Sennheiser tuning as it is very similar at least to my ears :relaxed:

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #2,254 of 2,793
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #2,255 of 2,793
Well, last night, or this morning very early (2:30am, France, Paris), I finally broke the code:

FiiO "FH9 - green filters - PQ mod" (Tips "Canal Works 肉球 Gel Narrow Bore" L / FiiO cable "LC-RE Pro 2022" 8 cores, balanced

No doubt the beneficial effects of champagne, but I suddenly had an epiphany. 😇😎👍

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why the Canal Works 肉球 Gel Narrow Bore tips worked excellently with all my intras.... Except the Fh9's 🤔

Very bad, because when it works, these Narrow bore tips version are by far superior to the Wide bore version (all criteria, and notably the extent of the bandwith - especially at the bottom end : rumble -, it's texture, impact - percussion, transients - and definition ; the sound is more "concentrated" - focus - and more "solid", physical.

I had the answer under my (long) nose for a long time, but I didn't see it...

That was true in 2022. 😇

So here is what it looks like:

The silicone wedge (ring)... which allows to have the optimal insertion on the cannula :

The tip's cone tip must be flush with the start of the cannula (exactly as with the wide bore cat's paw) :

Another view with all the players of success: cable FiiO "LC-RE Pro 2022" 8 cores, symmetrical (excellent), PQ Mod (the same) and therefore tips "Canal Works 肉球 Gel Narrow Bore" L (bravissimo). And the green filters on (perfect).

Results?

There we obtain an iem always so balanced and alive and powerful... but on the other hand the low comes to leer towards bass-head territory (texture, density, rumble, dimension, tension impact !...). The lower midrange is also reinforced in the same directions. On the other hand, for the high registers, it is always as limpid as before but even more focused and solid. Separation at the top. Breathing, extension and texture of the midrange and treble. In short, a faultless restitution and the FH9 are magnified. Finally, the sound isolation is better than with the wide bore cat's paws (hence a "boosted" bottom end according to what it is described before).

In order of importance and impact on the restitution of the tweaks described in this message :

1/ Tips
2/ "PQ mod" (over filtering of the decompression vents ; value 500)
3/ Cable

Of course, one must then reason in globality because everything is important. But it is obvious that the most tangible improvements (and not just differences) are in the tips.

That's it...

Now I've done the trick (I also compared cables - Aoraki and Graphene and Tianwaitian, with adapters to MMCX -, but weary, the best choices for me remain... the stock cable (excellent), and thus this optional hybrid copper, silver, gold cable "Fiio LC-RE Pro 2022": all criteria, RAS, uber excellent).
And so a very good year !!! :beerchug:

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #2,257 of 2,793
You are the number one expert in the FH9 period!
Well : they deserve all that attention, I guess. :beerchug:

So... they deserve all my attention*, thus. :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Really : the real steal and the real deal. wonderful product :L3000:

So much so that the other iems I know, or I listen to, are a little sulky! :deadhorse:

* I am a "little" perfectionist guy... the same with all my others iems... but these FH9... badass time, period. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #2,258 of 2,793
And about the tips, it was my precedente recommandation :

(https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-G...d49-80ee-34134bc0872c&pd_rd_i=B0991KN61T&th=1)

And my current recommandation :

(https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-GECL-Eartips-Isolating-Prevent-Enhanced/dp/B0991RL358?th=1)

We are talking about that :

https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

The very firsts :

Canal Works CW Dual Nozzle 《肉球》”Nikukyuu” (CWU-GDECM)

Bore size: wide / short cap
Stem length: short
Feel: soft and pliable
Bass: 3.50
Midrange: 4.50
Treble: 4.00
Soundstage: 3.50
Vocal presence: 3.75

This eartip is basically Canal Works CW-DECM with silicone “gel” infused to the inner-cavity of the cap. For neutral tonality with improved bass weight, otherwise both the “gel” and “non-gel” versions sound quite similar.

The ones :

Canal Works CW Single Nozzle 《肉球》”Nikukyuu” (CWU-GECM)

Bore size: narrow
Stem length: short
Feel: sturdy and firm
Bass: 4.75

Midrange: 5.00
Treble: 5.00
Soundstage: 4.00

Vocal presence: 4.50

This eartip is basically Canal Works CWU-ECM with silicone “gel” infused to the inner-cavity of the cap. Improved bass and lower-midrange over the “non-gel” version. Not suitable for bright-sounding earphones.

And forget all about this story of "bright-sounding earphones". This is just a question of balance or imbalance of the bandwith. If the bandwith is balanced (even if "intense") = no problem. But all the genuine sound of the gear will be unleashed... Worse or better :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #2,260 of 2,793
Possible...

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #2,263 of 2,793
I didn't think the FH9 used any Beryllium in their drivers?

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,265 of 2,793
Interesting, I'm surprised Fiio doesn't make mention of that on their FH9 page, that'd be something I bet a lot of people would be into when researching IEMs. Now, let me grab mine and listen to some tunes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back