FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #1,801 of 2,793
Can someone with Z1R, MEST and other TOTL iems explain what I'm missing with the FH9? Are there even more details to be found, more... I don't even know because the FH9 right now seem perfect (but that's always the case until you hear something better).

I was already surprised by how much better the FH9 is to anything under 300$ I've used, Timeless and FH5s included. So I wonder what else is out there...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #1,802 of 2,793
I was already surprised by how much better the FH9 is to anything under 300$ I've used, Timeless included
Nice. But did you hear FD5, or only FH5s? I was extremely impressed with FD5, but because of the treble sharpness, I have been using Timeless since it came out, and am very curious about FH9 and FD7... I suppose less so FD7, because of less bass. :disappointed: I should definitely buy both at the same time, to tell the differences, and if I feel they're even worth the price. If not, it's gonna be something at MEST level.

Like you, I wonder how details and soundstage size can sound even better & bigger, from how incredibly spacious & airy FD5 already sounds(determined from live 3D enfironments in FPS games, not static, recorded music).

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,803 of 2,793
Nice. But did you hear FD5, or only FH5s? I was extremely impressed with FD5, but because of the treble sharpness, I have been using Timeless since it came out, and am very curious about FH9 and FD7... I suppose less so FD7, because of less bass. :disappointed: I should definitely buy both at the same time, to tell the differences, and if I feel they're even worth the price. If not, it's gonna be something at MEST level.

Like you, I wonder how details and soundstage size can sound even better & bigger, from how incredibly spacious & airy FD5 already sounds(determined from FPS gaming, not music).
I actually had both FH5s and FH9 at the same time and was almost forced to return the FH5s.

They are not in the same league. Besides technicalities and specific things about the sound, the tuning of the FH5s is just off, especially compared with FH9 (and that was using a different cable, not the silver one that come stock with them and was replaced in the pro version).

There's a reason why the FH5s are the black sheep of the FH series.

I would be curious to try the F7 myself, but I doubt they can compete with the 6BA+DD setup of the FH9.

I'd like to see a nice comparison between the FH9 and Monarch MK2, which seem to be the go to reasonably priced IEM of the moment.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #1,804 of 2,793
delete

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #1,805 of 2,793
It's bizarre why FD7 only gets a 12mm, and FH9 gets the 13.2mm...

Yeah, I've never had interest in the previos FA's or FH's(except FH3 I do really like, and FHE I want to order), so I've mainly heard FD5 and FD3 Pro(yuck) so far. And I feel FD5 is easily the most advanced IEM I've heard under $300.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,806 of 2,793
My new FH9 (black), had just arrived.
Quick AB againat my FH7 (both connected to iFi GoBlu, LDAC), had just shown that the FH9 sounds better than the FH7 (especially stage, instruments separation and overall clarity), even before starting the FH9 burn in.

My old FH7 is going to my son.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #1,807 of 2,793
FH9 sounds better than the FH7
Does it basically sound similar at the core of the sound? Or like a whole new sound vs FH7?

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,808 of 2,793
I did a very short AB, not a detailed one (spanning enough samples). FH9 is more similar to the FH7, but as far as I prcieved, better in the parameters state above, how much , I could not measure. Overall, as long as I listen to the FH9, I like it a lot.

Found the green filters (treble), the best fit for me. The low & mid bass are still great, the highs are a bliss. Currently listenning to the bass tips.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,809 of 2,793
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #1,810 of 2,793
I will try to read through this thread to determine the following, but if anyone can answer that would be great:
  • Is FH9 basically worth the price, and basically as good as anything else around its price? (AKA 2x or 3x cost needed for significant improvement)
  • What would the best alternative(s) at the same price be, and why?
- XENNS Up, for better bass..?
- EJ07M x HBB, for better mids and tone..?
- FD7, only for better tonality..?

I loved the detail, bass and soundstage(imaging, air, size)of FD5(and currently Timeless, to a lesser degree) in FPS games(and music!), so essentially a higher-end FD5 would be amazing. The apparent, lesser bass of FD7 compared to FD5 concerns me, so I don't think it's the best option here. I love some BA IEMs, but surely they don't have the bass want at this high price. I also tried Dunu EST112, and was not impressed at all. Oracle was too neutral/limp sounding, and was another big disappointment(therefore, I am not a ThieAudio fan currently, except for Legacy 3). Starlight 4 was the most realistic treble I've heard in an IEM so far, but extremely bright/shouty, with only mediocre bass.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #1,811 of 2,793
Dear friends,

To design and develop more appropriate products for you, we are eager to know your needs in daily use scenarios. Therefore, we would like to invite you to fill in the questionnaire below. Thank you so much for your support. :)

Link:https://forms.gle/R56bgFz9y9nnhBXH6

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 24, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,812 of 2,793
Dear friends,

To design and develop more appropriate products for you, we are eager to know your needs in daily use scenarios. Therefore, we would like to invite you to fill in the questionnaire below. Thank you so much for your support. :)

https://forms.gle/R56bgFz9y9nnhBXH6
I tried, but as soon as I click the send button, he complains about multiple answers in question 12

Screenshot_20220324-083518.png

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #1,813 of 2,793
I tried, but as soon as I click the send button, he complains about multiple answers in question 12

Screenshot_20220324-083518.png
Yeah it's silly. You can't be happy with the sound, have to use different options for each row. I'm perfectly fine with how each component is tuned, but I can't select that.

Only things I'd change about the FH9 are the weight of the shell and even more the weight of the cable. Sure, the cable looks nice, but it's too heavy and I had to use a different one for everyday comfort.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,814 of 2,793

Users who are viewing this thread

Back