FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,562 of 2,767
One problem I always have with IEM's (like everyone else) is getting a good seal with tips. Almost to the point that if I have one with a lesser IEM, I hesitate to get a new IEM, because I might not find good tips.

Does the FH9 have the same nozzle size as the FH5s?
I know so many people with that issue and most of them just switched to Memory Foam over time.

Some people say memory foam kills the sound... I personally think they enable you to hear how they actually sounds with a perfect fit and seal and some people just don't like how their IEM actually sounds.

I have gifted the FH3 to two people as an birthday present and both, after trying all tips, decided for memory foam.

My girlfriend tried tons of tips before deciding for Memory Foam on the XBA-Z5.

I personally consider the IER-M9 unusable without memory foam and most people who have issues with the fit and size of the IER-Z1R can solve them by using memory foam.

Sadly I can't use memory foam with the FA9 because it's just too big. This giant nozzle+memory is to much for my ear so I use the silicone which cause some troubles when inserting them.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,563 of 2,767
I know so many people with that issue and most of them just switched to Memory Foam over time.

Some people say memory foam kills the sound... I personally think they enable you to hear how they actually sounds with a perfect fit and seal and some people just don't like how their IEM actually sounds.

I have gifted the FH3 to two people as an birthday present and both, after trying all tips, decided for memory foam.

My girlfriend tried tons of tips before deciding for Memory Foam on the XBA-Z5.

I personally consider the IER-M9 unusable without memory foam and most people who have issues with the fit and size of the IER-Z1R can solve them by using memory foam.

Sadly I can't use memory foam with the FA9 because it's just too big. This giant nozzle+memory is to much for my ear so I use the silicone which cause some troubles when inserting them.
Nah. It's the foam. It deadens the sound. Really.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,565 of 2,767
I suppose both the LAND and the FH9 can be considered energetic sound tunings. The FH9 is more of a bass infused sound signature. The LAND is more treble infused sound signature. Treble heads would love the LAND as it has one of the best treble tunings for earphones for treble lovers. Not fatiguing but has more treble emphasis extension and detail over the FH9 treble end. FH9 however is not lacking in the treble department. Its just that Tansio Mirais in general specialize in treble tunings for their earphones. The FH9. has a bit more bass emphasis with a thicker and punchier bass end. It has the better texture and lower reaching bass over the LAND. LANDs actual bass impact is similar and also has no roll off for its sub bass like the FH9 but much like how the LAND has a more specialized treble tuning the FH9 is more specialized for bass especially with the bass caps. Mids are somewhat of a wash but I want to say the FH9 has a bit more body for the mids presetation. Both are comparable when it comes to stage and other aspects of technicalities. FH9 sounds a bit airier overall for its presentation. I would say both the LAND and the FH9 are comparable so far as SQ goes at their price ranges.
Land being an all resin tribrid using a single BA for lower treble and 2ESTs for upper treble= a detailed extended treble end. The FH9 hybrid using a large 13.6mm 2nd gen DLC via Fiios S.tubro tube tech for bass = a serious woofer in your ears.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,566 of 2,767
Nah. It's the foam. It deadens the sound. Really.
It doesn't happen with my IER-Z1R, IER-M9 or XBA-Z5, they all sound better. More balanced, better bass, better treble, bigger soundstage.

Most people I know say, that Memory Foam is an big improvement over the Silicone which brings them alive with the IER-M9

So I'm surprised that you say, they deaden the sound. There is no reason why they should. I think if that is the case is either the difference in sound which sounds unusual or the IEM just didn't sound alive in the first place.

With the Memory Foam I use (Xcessor) I don't share this experience.

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,567 of 2,767
It doesn't happen with my IER-Z1R, IER-M9 or XBA-Z5, they all sound better. More balanced, better bass, better treble, bigger soundstage.

Most people I know say, that Memory Foam is an big improvement over the Silicone which brings them alive with the IER-M9

So I'm surprised that you say, they deaden the sound. There is no reason why they should. I think if that is the case is either the difference in sound which sounds unusual or the IEM just didn't sound alive in the first place.

With the Memory Foam I use (Xcessor) I don't share this experience.
Never tried Sony. But for me all other brands it happened.

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,568 of 2,767
11645305.jpg

Just posted my take on the FH9. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fh9.25603/

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,569 of 2,767
Never tried Sony. But for me all other brands it happened.
Then you used a lot of dead sounding IEM in the past.

At least with Sony, Final, Sennheiser, Shure and Westone I made good experience with memory foam.

Non of them sounded dead or bad but I think this depends on lots of factors and most importantly your ears. What works for me isn't said to work for you

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,572 of 2,767
I have the FH5 and FH7 and noticed the FH7, imho, bettered the FH5 in every way. More open, better dynamics, soundstaging, etc. Like several veils removed. Wondering if there are some users here who might have the FH7 and FH9 and can offer comparison? Am tempted by the FH9 as my FH7, lhs, has a dodgy connector, it's been bugging me for months, otherwise I really love the FH7!

Dec 16, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #1,573 of 2,767
I have the FH5 and FH7 and noticed the FH7, imho, bettered the FH5 in every way. More open, better dynamics, soundstaging, etc. Like several veils removed. Wondering if there are some users here who might have the FH7 and FH9 and can offer comparison? Am tempted by the FH9 as my FH7, lhs, has a dodgy connector, it's been bugging me for months, otherwise I really love the FH7!
Compared with the FH7, the FH9 has more comprehensive improvement. But the high-frequency analysis analysis of FH7 is more sufficient and slightly more stimulating.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #1,574 of 2,767
Compared with the FH7, the FH9 has more comprehensive improvement. But the high-frequency analysis analysis of FH7 is more sufficient and slightly more stimulating.

Best regards
Thanks for reply. So... the FH9 betters the FH7 mostly , but perhaps high frequencies are better or at least as good on the FH7? I am trying to understand a bit better your comment about the HF ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back