FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,501 of 2,767
I don't hear the treble fighting for the spot light here using the treble cap. I still feel the sound is well balanced in proportion as I don't hear the tonality shifting from a warmer neutral to a cooler neutral. Something like the treble cap using one of them Fiio Foams might do the trick to balance out the sound tuning a bit more. I think we are just getting to know the sound tunings and what the caps do. I like that full bodied sound signature of the balanced cap and bass caps but the treble cap here is yet another option for the FH9 and it isn't a complete fail. Infact I can see some folks liking this treble cap more so than any of the other filter caps.

It is good to be able to personalize how you want your sound in the FH9 though. Will have to do some more tip rolling with this treble cap.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1,502 of 2,767
Both the FD5 and FH5S had plenty of treble in fact I can argue a bit too much
@Dsnuts could you please to try FD5 with the FD3 bass nozzle if you have it?
Some members said it tames the treble of FD5, just wondering if it will be more enjoyable set for your liking.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #1,503 of 2,767
Actually it is the balanced nozzle for the FD7 works with the FD5. Dont know where you read that the FD3 nozzle fits the FD5 but it doesn't believe me that was the very first thing I tried on the FD5. I just tried it again and it has a different threading. What the FD5 can use is the LC-RC cable and it does a fine job smoothening out the 8Khz region that is the source of the treble spike on the FD5. FD5 is not as bad as the FH5s for the same issue. FH5s now has a pro model that has the LC-RC cable included with it.
H7da78a18a54b46a6ae259577bfba0c63R.jpg

The material properties of this cable is more resolving copper in what it does vs their previous included cable that accentuated the treble notes. These are great cables that match up well with earphones that have a bit too much in the upper registers.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #1,504 of 2,767
Actually it is the balanced nozzle for the FD7 works with the FD5. Dont know where you read that the FD3 nozzle fits the FD5 but it doesn't believe me that was the very first thing I tried on the FD5. I just tried it again and it has a different threading. What the FD5 can use is the LC-RC cable and it does a fine job smoothening out the 8Khz region that is the source of the treble spike on the FD5. FD5 is not as bad as the FH5s for the same issue. FH5s now has a pro model that has the LC-RC cable included with it.
H7da78a18a54b46a6ae259577bfba0c63R.jpg

The material properties of this cable is more resolving copper in what it does vs their previous included cable that accentuated the treble notes. These are great cables that match up well with earphones that have a bit too much in the upper registers.
Thank you @Dsnuts for your reply and clarify it.
It was from FD5 thread, Post #1,329.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #1,505 of 2,767
Ya it is not the FD3 nozzle it would be the balanced nozzle of the FD7. Unless you can buy that particular nozzle which you might be able to the cables will be the better way to balance out that sound signature. I know some folks were modding the stock nozzle of the FD5 as well. A thicker foam cut out inside the stock thicker nozzle will do the same thing.

Essentially that is what the FD7 balanced nozzle is a denser filter vs the treble filter which barely has anything in it. Same thing on the FH9 actually. Both bass and balanced nozzle has a prism baffle for the cap with a denser material in the center of the prism. Where the treble in the nozzle is positioned so that makes sense that those caps will lower the treble emphasis a touch bringing out more mids and bass.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,506 of 2,767
I had the chance to test an FiiO FH9 without buying today. Thanks god, because... its very good but absolutely not my taste.

To me (attention! my personal opinion!) it is more balanced than the XBA-Z5 but less balanced than the IER-M9 while sounding less fun than both of them. And even though its more balance than the XBA-Z5, its not balanced in a (to me) positive way. Somehow the sound is very stressful to me. I don't know how to describe it, it doesn't sound bad but something in the sound annoys me, only a very little in the background.

You know the feeling when you have to go to the toilet but not like "I have to go now!", its not urgent, but urgent enough that it annoys you and hinders you from just enjoying your time.

Its like that kind of annoyance and i think it comes from the treble response. Im not totally sure, sadly i could only test it for less than an hour but i didn't like it.

I put on several songs including some of my most favourite songs which i know inside out, enjoyable faster songs, but also orchestra arragnements and some Jazz and... i don't know. I just could not enjoy the songs. The FH9 didn't allow to let the Song go into my brain because somehow the In-Ear itself grabbed my attention. "You don't listen to that song, listen to me!"

Its hard to describe. The IER-Z1R also does have an colder sound with a bit more aggressive treble response but somehow it doesn't annoy me. And i wasn't impressed by the Bass at all. For different reasons that caused me to be disappointed with the FH3/FH7/Dusk Bass, but still.

So bottom line, for me personally (again, my opinion!), i don't like it. Not gonna buy.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,507 of 2,767
I had the chance to test an FiiO FH9 without buying today. Thanks god, because... its very good but absolutely not my taste.

To me (attention! my personal opinion!) it is more balanced than the XBA-Z5 but less balanced than the IER-M9 while sounding less fun than both of them. And even though its more balance than the XBA-Z5, its not balanced in a (to me) positive way. Somehow the sound is very stressful to me. I don't know how to describe it, it doesn't sound bad but something in the sound annoys me, only a very little in the background.

You know the feeling when you have to go to the toilet but not like "I have to go now!", its not urgent, but urgent enough that it annoys you and hinders you from just enjoying your time.

Its like that kind of annoyance and i think it comes from the treble response. Im not totally sure, sadly i could only test it for less than an hour but i didn't like it.

I put on several songs including some of my most favourite songs which i know inside out, enjoyable faster songs, but also orchestra arragnements and some Jazz and... i don't know. I just could not enjoy the songs. The FH9 didn't allow to let the Song go into my brain because somehow the In-Ear itself grabbed my attention. "You don't listen to that song, listen to me!"

Its hard to describe. The IER-Z1R also does have an colder sound with a bit more aggressive treble response but somehow it doesn't annoy me. And i wasn't impressed by the Bass at all. For different reasons that caused me to be disappointed with the FH3/FH7/Dusk Bass, but still.

So bottom line, for me personally (again, my opinion!), i don't like it. Not gonna buy.
Which filter did it have? Maybe you could have tried other filters. Anyway, hopefully I will receive the FH9 together with M17 tomorrow. I prefer neutral / reference sound and am an EQ user so I am not too much bothered if I need small tweaks. I tweak even depending on the time of the day, my mood and music, so it is fine. I am excited…

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,508 of 2,767

Thanks for sharing (no need to be afraid of stating your opinion btw, its just headphones...lol)

For me, FH9 technicalities are good, but tonality is definitely not to my tastes. Decided to disassemble the earpieces, gonna mess with the crossover tuning to see if I can salvage it.

High quality components, engineering, and great fit though, very nice IEM for people who like the sound

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,509 of 2,767
Which filter did it have? Maybe you could have tried other filters. Anyway, hopefully I will receive the FH9 together with M17 tomorrow. I prefer neutral / reference sound and am an EQ user so I am not too much bothered if I need small tweaks. I tweak even depending on the time of the day, my mood and music, so it is fine. I am excited…
I could only test with Balanced tips and nozzle, sadly. Maybe it would have changed it but the test circumstances did not allow it. So take my impression with a grain of salt

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,510 of 2,767
It is too bad the FH9 does not come preinstalled with the treble caps. After using the FH9 for a week with the treble caps I can confirm the FH9 sounds superior with the treble caps in place. It should be called reference caps as it opens up the entire sound field and its intended tuning. The treble presentation using this cap is not more treble as you would figure. Instead, it is better quality treble as it is now fully open. Very addictive shimmer to the treble but the most important part is that it does not add more dbs to the treble end like the name would imply. It might just a few dbs in the mid trebles but believe me there is nothing grating or does the treble have a big spike somewhere for its treble tuning.

This sounds more balanced to my ears vs the balanced cap. Balanced cap sounds a bit more L shaped in signature vs more of a U shaped treble cap. The treble actually balances out the beefy bass end. That is another thing I noticed just because the treble cap opens up the sound does not mean you're getting lesser bass. On the contrary the bass end still has ample impact and presence.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #1,511 of 2,767
It is too bad the FH9 does not come preinstalled with the treble caps. After using the FH9 for a week with the treble caps I can confirm the FH9 sounds superior with the treble caps in place. It should be called reference caps as it opens up the entire sound field and its intended tuning. The treble presentation using this cap is not more treble as you would figure. Instead, it is better quality treble as it is now fully open. Very addictive shimmer to the treble but the most important part is that it does not add more dbs to the treble end like the name would imply. It might just a few dbs in the mid trebles but believe me there is nothing grating or does the treble have a big spike somewhere for its treble tuning.

This sounds more balanced to my ears vs the balanced cap. Balanced cap sounds a bit more L shaped in signature vs more of a U shaped treble cap. The treble actually balances out the beefy bass end. That is another thing I noticed just because the treble cap opens up the sound does not mean you're getting lesser bass. On the contrary the bass end still has ample impact and presence.
Thanks for sharing this.
Just for my understanding: by caps you mean tips?

If so, did you use the treble nozle as well, along with them

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,512 of 2,767
All of the recent Fiio earphones have tuning nozzles. The idea of the nozzles is the affect how we hear the trebles of the given earphones they are attached to. All the recent offerings have the balanced nozzle or in the case of the FH9 the balanced cap installed out of the box. So naturally folks will judge the initial sound from the balanced configuration. The FH9 since it has two BAs in the nozzle by design you have a screw on cap on the top of the nozzle instead of the entire nozzle.
FiiO-FH9-MR8.png

People are quick to judge, in the earphone game.

The FH9 is not an earphone you can quickly judge to hear them for what they are. Especially when the best sounding version of them is not what the balanced cap portrays.
The FH9 is every bit the hybrid flagship for Fiio but these caps have more of an influence for the FH9 than you would imagine. I don't hear any of them making the FH9 sound particularly bad per say but for folks that was a bit disappointed in how the FH9 sounds, I am gonna guess they never bothered hearing the treble cap on there.

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #1,513 of 2,767
5.jpg

The #1 Dynamic 6 Balanced Armature Drivers IEMs FH9# is the result of two years' worth of intense research on how to fully take advantage of the strengths of hybrid IEMs and push the boundaries of what they can sound like. At the end of 2021, it would totally light up the fire of HiFi earphones.

On December 10, 2021, #FiiO 2021 Winter Launch Event# will straightly get to you. Let's stay tuned for it.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,514 of 2,767
All of the recent Fiio earphones have tuning nozzles. The idea of the nozzles is the affect how we hear the trebles of the given earphones they are attached to. All the recent offerings have the balanced nozzle or in the case of the FH9 the balanced cap installed out of the box. So naturally folks will judge the initial sound from the balanced configuration. The FH9 since it has two BAs in the nozzle by design you have a screw on cap on the top of the nozzle instead of the entire nozzle.
FiiO-FH9-MR8.png
People are quick to judge, in the earphone game.

The FH9 is not an earphone you can quickly judge to hear them for what they are. Especially when the best sounding version of them is not what the balanced cap portrays.
The FH9 is every bit the hybrid flagship for Fiio but these caps have more of an influence for the FH9 than you would imagine. I don't hear any of them making the FH9 sound particularly bad per say but for folks that was a bit disappointed in how the FH9 sounds, I am gonna guess they never bothered hearing the treble cap on there.
I already asked my local dealer if there is a chance to test them more in depth because i want to do them justice. It annoys me that i did not have the chance to test them with the nozzles and the other eartips. I have the feeling that this would have changed the sound to my liking.

I don't use the FA9 in its stock form either, i use either "Bass Boost" (0-0-0) oder "Pop" (0-1-0) so i think, they will sound different with the different nozzle.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #1,515 of 2,767
20211208-105525.jpeg

As a rigid yet lightweight metal with great anti-corrosion ability, titanium can maintain its original color at normal temperatures, so it is often used in core components in the aerospace industry. The FH9's titanium alloy construction features it as high-end earphones both in terms of outstanding audio harmonics and elegant textures. Let's look forward to the birth of a new flagship.

On December 10, 2021, #FiiO 2021 Winter Launch Event# will straightly get to you. Let's stay tuned for it.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back