FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,471 of 2,767
I think that is one of the reasons why they are so engaging. The bass end as brawny as it is stays away from the mids and treble. It is how a proper 2.1 presentation should be for in ears. Dont know what Fiio did to get that to work like that. Most earphones with this much bass will muddy up the sound but not so with the FH9. This is where the results of some RnD probably plays a part of the sound signature. How they improved on the FH5s is clearly evident in the FH9

Folks that love them some EDM need to hear how the FH9 presents EDM it is one of very best for trance music due to its sheer authority.

Yeah that sheer bass power combined with the retention of midrange and treble clarity is very unique, it's got that club thump whilst remaining wholly clean.

Another cool observation is that the sound production remains completely distortion-free, even at tinnitus-inflicting volume levels. A testament to the FH9 quality.

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,472 of 2,767
XA-10.jpg

Whoa! Now, this offers some great synergy between a DAC/Amp combo and the FH9. Even more incredible black space between instruments and crisp clear vocals! No hiss I can detect as of yet. The soundstage has even opened up wider (I'm using the 4.4 balanced adapter).

I also mentioned in a previous post that I would do a quick comparison of the FH9 to the UM 3D Terminator (a three-dynamic driver earphone in beautiful wood shells). Well, if we're rating greater instrument separation, a superwide soundstage and some of the best timbre I've heard in an earphone, the UM multi-dynamic driver iem is the clear winner! The sound is still one of my favorite sound signatures in an earphone. But the FH9 is no slouch when push forward wonderful highly detailed precise mids and such delicious bass. the xDuoo DAC/Amp comes so darn close to having a tube-amp-like sound without being one. Well, I think I'm set for the holidays once I get my hands on a pair of thinksound ov21 full-size headphones. Happy Holidays and Happy Listening!

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,473 of 2,767
So I got the FH9 a couple days ago and while I like them so far, I still prefer the FH7 if I'm being perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong, the FH9 is really, really good and technically superior to the FH7, although I'm not the biggest fan of how it presents the soundstage. It's big, but the imaging isn't as coherent as the FH7 so voices and instruments have a tendency to wander if that makes sense. Also, the mids, while I wouldn't call them recessed do seem a bit subdued compared to the rest of the mix. My biggest issue is the treble, though. It sounds somewhat blunted. Female voices don't have the sparkle I love from stuff like the Oracle and FH7, you lose some of the life to retain the "fun".

I know this sounds negative and I can easily see how someone would prefer this sound signature over the FH7 and plenty of other headphones. But if I'm being honest, are they worth $300 more than the FH7? Not a chance. No way in hell. If you already have that headphone either wait for a price drop or try them from Amazon since they have a great return policy in the US, at least.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #1,474 of 2,767
So I got the FH9 a couple days ago and while I like them so far, I still prefer the FH7 if I'm being perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong, the FH9 is really, really good and technically superior to the FH7, although I'm not the biggest fan of how it presents the soundstage. It's big, but the imaging isn't as coherent as the FH7 so voices and instruments have a tendency to wander if that makes sense. Also, the mids, while I wouldn't call them recessed do seem a bit subdued compared to the rest of the mix. My biggest issue is the treble, though. It sounds somewhat blunted. Female voices don't have the sparkle I love from stuff like the Oracle and FH7, you lose some of the life to retain the "fun".

I know this sounds negative and I can easily see how someone would prefer this sound signature over the FH7 and plenty of other headphones. But if I'm being honest, are they worth $300 more than the FH7? Not a chance. No way in hell. If you already have that headphone either wait for a price drop or try them from Amazon since they have a great return policy in the US, at least.
I have the FH7; I ditched the stock cable though and replaced it with the Campfire Audio Super Smoky Litz with 4.4 balanced termination. Pairing with new Hiby R6 and M11+. I was planning to get the FH9; now your comment makes me wonder if an upgrade will be worth the while. Might as well consider the FD7 now. Ah, well.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #1,475 of 2,767
I have the FH7; I ditched the stock cable though and replaced it with the Campfire Audio Super Smoky Litz with 4.4 balanced termination. Pairing with new Hiby R6 and M11+. I was planning to get the FH9; now your comment makes me wonder if an upgrade will be worth the while. Might as well consider the FD7 now. Ah, well.
All ears differ, but there's no way I could recommend the FH9 as a linear upgrade to the FH7. It's great but they do sound different and what you have to give up on the FH9 don't justify what you gain in my eyes. And absolutely not for double the price, not in any world.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,476 of 2,767

What would you say is the biggest difference from the FH7 to the FH9, the thing that grabs your attention most

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,477 of 2,767
What would you say is the biggest difference from the FH7 to the FH9, the thing that grabs your attention most
The bass. It's thick and rich on the FH9 but tighter and cleaner on the FH7. Both are very well done and it's just a matter of taste honestly but the best way I can put it is that the FH9 presents a palpable atmosphere where the sound lives; you can perceive a warm soundstage itself and the music lives inside it. The imaging on the FH7 makes it feel like the sound is coming out of thin air. You can measure the soundstage by where sound is coming from but it's not a thing in itself. And I want to stress that both are really good, the FH9 is a highly capable headphone and I wouldn't argue with anyone if they preferred the presentation over the FH7. It's mostly the price for me. I'm not saying $600 is unfair in a vacuum but the options now in that price range are so good now and it makes much more sense to get an FH7 for half the price and another headphone with a more unique sound signature to accompany it rather than the FH9 which, to me, is highly competent but not special. I like the sound a lot but I wouldn't miss it the way I would miss other less technically sound but really unique sets.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,478 of 2,767
The bass. It's thick and rich on the FH9 but tighter and cleaner on the FH7. Both are very well done and it's just a matter of taste honestly but the best way I can put it is that the FH9 presents a palpable atmosphere where the sound lives; you can perceive a warm soundstage itself and the music lives inside it. The imaging on the FH7 makes it feel like the sound is coming out of thin air. You can measure the soundstage by where sound is coming from but it's not a thing in itself. And I want to stress that both are really good, the FH9 is a highly capable headphone and I wouldn't argue with anyone if they preferred the presentation over the FH7. It's mostly the price for me. I'm not saying $600 is unfair in a vacuum but the options now in that price range are so good now and it makes much more sense to get an FH7 for half the price and another headphone with a more unique sound signature to accompany it rather than the FH9 which, to me, is highly competent but not special. I like the sound a lot but I wouldn't miss it the way I would miss other less technically sound but really unique sets.
Your description sounds a bit like the Sony XBA-Z5

So it sounds like I would like it. I gonna wait a little longer before deciding, but thank you very much for your impression!

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,479 of 2,767
Your description sounds a bit like the Sony XBA-Z5

So it sounds like I would like it. I gonna wait a little longer before deciding, but thank you very much for your impression!
It's definitely worth an audition, especially with Amazon's no questions asked return policy.

Edit: And it actually of reminds me of an upgraded Mangird Tea. I didn't like that set but anyone who does will love the FH9.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,482 of 2,767
Ah. I wouldn't spend $600 on this headphone if I couldn't return it unless money isn't an issue to you.
No matter if it's an issue or not, wasting money is always a bad thing.

That's why I'll still wait and maybe someone does an review who owns an In-Ear I own and compares it to that

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,484 of 2,767
I haven't heard any of the Sony's but I used to own the FA9 and they're significantly better than those, but so is the FH7.
Hmm FA9 is one of my absolute favourites but they sound as far from Sony as possible.

Sony is known for a big sound with lots of Bass.

I am looking for an addition to the FA9, I don't intend to replace them. So I want something that does things, the FA9 can't do and I don't mind if it's far from their Sound.

And the FH9 sounds like an perfect match for the FA9

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,485 of 2,767
Hmm FA9 is one of my absolute favourites but they sound as far from Sony as possible.

Sony is known for a big sound with lots of Bass.

I am looking for an addition to the FA9, I don't intend to replace them. So I want something that does things, the FA9 can't do and I don't mind if it's far from their Sound.

And the FH9 sounds like an perfect match for the FA9
Yeah, it's not for me but I don't consider it a bad choice either, it's a really good set. Is $600 your limit though? I'd take a look at the Monarch MKII if you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back