FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 10, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,141 of 2,793
Not sure about the Bluetooth output but jack output is super low for sure... A PC should have much higher output volume than a phone though right?
It depends on the phone. But I believe some of them are under a volume restriction so people don't blast their ears off.

(it also depends on the amp in the pc.)

May 10, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #1,142 of 2,793
It depends on the phone. But I believe some of them are under a volume restriction so people don't blast their ears off.

(it also depends on the amp in the pc.)
Well, I can't be sure of the actual decibels, I don't think the BTR5's estimates are close to reality to be frank, but I try to go by feel... If my ears are buzzing after listening it could be too high, right?

And thanks for all the input on timbre... 😉

May 10, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,143 of 2,793
Well, I can't be sure of the actual decibels, I don't think the BTR5's estimates are close to reality to be frank, but I try to go by feel... If my ears are buzzing after listening it could be too high, right?

And thanks for all the input on timbre... 😉
Yeah, do be careful about your ears.

May 10, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #1,144 of 2,793
Stories of FiiO FH5s--From @FiiO Kang

Chapter 1 Prelude: HiFi is more than business, but also music and care

The story began with the 2021 Shanghai International Headphone Show in March 2021. And this was the first time that we took the FH5s to a big show (Before that the FH5s had gone through two rounds of internal review by users and media). An interesting story happened at the show. There was a senior local audiophile, who has been devoting himself to HiFi stuff for decades, and also enjoying researching semiconductors and electronic tubes on his own.
After trying many headphones at the exhibition, he came to our booth to try the FH5s. He was reluctant to leave and wanted to buy our sample FH5s. However, since the price was not determined at that time and the sample has some bumps and flaws, we suggested he order an all-new one after the FH5s is officially released. But this senior audiophile insisted that sound is the most important thing for headphones. Finally, he took it home. The appearance and undetermined price could not stop him from buying this sample. But he was a considerate man who took the sample home after the exhibition, giving a chance to other consumers to try the FH5s. During the process, he also assisted us to serve other users to try the headphones. This unprecedented experience really helped to dissipate our tiredness of working the whole day.
There were many similar stories. The FH5s was sent to a third-party institution for testing before the release. The person in charge decided to buy the FH5s once trying it. But the sample was limited at that time, so we suggested he buy it after the mass production. After waiting for more than a month, he placed an order as soon as the FH5s was available.
For a company, profit is important. Because in addition to the survival of the enterprise, there are countless employees and even family responsibilities behind it. However, earning money is not the most important. What matters is users' recognition of our products and trust in our brand.
In FiiO's culture, users always come first. A long-term vision and a down-to-earth approach are our constant beliefs. Born for music! We hope to be a century-old company. We hope to help more people to enjoy good music through excellent and versatile music products at affordable prices. We respect and cherish every user. No matter for praise or criticism, we will do our best to serve our users with a worthy experience.
On April 26th, FiiO's 14th birthday, the FH5s, 2 balanced armatures and 2 dynamic drivers in-ear monitors was officially released. Thank you so much for your company with us along the way. We will keep on working hard to live up to your expectations!

184599485_3971691982938841_2500392202082271690_n.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 10, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #1,146 of 2,793
Then, why are the 2 reviews available online are not so favourable?

May 10, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #1,147 of 2,793
It’s traditional for Fiio to release more dud crappy IEM’s. How they managed to bring the great FD5 to the market does surprise me for this organisation.
What do you mean? The FD5, the FH3, the FH5 and the FH7 are all very well regarded IEMs and, up till now, I have seldom heard a bad word about any of their IEMs. Also in other products they tend to have good quality, like the BTR5 and BTR3K. I don't understand what your comment is supposed to add to the discussion, but I think it's rather rude and not constructive to either the community (people who are considering buying them) or the company themselves since you're not actually giving any critique they can take into consideration for their next product.

May 10, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,148 of 2,793
I have had FH5s for several days and until yesterday I could not get at least average quality sound from them. There was no coherence between the drivers, dirty sound, no scene - all sounds are in one heap. I burned for several days - no result. It was only when I replaced the cable with another that the sound immediately became excellent - clean, coherent, with rich dynamic bass and a normal stage.
If you don't like the sound of the FH5s, be sure to try replacing the cable. I also recommend replacing the tips with SpinFit.
I also have an FD5 and I am very, very happy with them, they are great headphones. The FH5s have sharper, faster and more versatile sound with a rich foundation of dynamic drivers.

May 10, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,149 of 2,793
Finally, a different POV! @RikudouGoku are you gonna give it another go with a different cable?

May 10, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,150 of 2,793
Finally, a different POV! @RikudouGoku are you gonna give it another go with a different cable?
This is an hybrid, their FR doesnt change when you have different resistances like on BA only iems. Even more so on this one, since it actually only has a BA for the treble instead of the typical DD (bass) + BA (mids/treble).

If it does change it would be quite the massive design failure...

May 10, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,151 of 2,793
Stories of FiiO FH5s

Chapter 1 Prelude: HiFi is more than business, but also music and care
The story began with the 2021 Shanghai International Headphone Show in March 2021. And this was the first time that we took the FH5s to a big show (Before that the FH5s had gone through two rounds of internal review by users and media). An interesting story happened at the show. There was a senior local audiophile, who has been devoting himself to HiFi stuff for decades, and also enjoying researching semiconductors and electronic tubes on his own.

After trying many headphones at the exhibition, he came to our booth to try the FH5s. He was reluctant to leave and wanted to buy our sample FH5s. However, since the price was not determined at that time and the sample has some bumps and flaws, we suggested he order an all-new one after the FH5s is officially released. But this senior audiophile insisted that sound is the most important thing for headphones. Finally, he took it home. The appearance and undetermined price could not stop him from buying this sample. But he was a considerate man who took the sample home after the exhibition, giving a chance to other consumers to try the FH5s. During the process, he also assisted us to serve other users to try the headphones. This unprecedented experience really helped to dissipate our tiredness of working the whole day.

There were many similar stories. The FH5s was sent to a third-party institution for testing before the release. The person in charge decided to buy the FH5s once trying it. But the sample was limited at that time, so we suggested he buy it after the mass production. After waiting for more than a month, he placed an order as soon as the FH5s was available.

For a company, profit is important. Because in addition to the survival of the enterprise, there are countless employees and even family responsibilities behind it. However, earning money is not the most important. What matters is users' recognition of our products and trust in our brand.

In FiiO's culture, users always come first. A long-term vision and a down-to-earth approach are our constant beliefs. Born for music! We hope to be a century-old company. We hope to help more people to enjoy good music through excellent and versatile music products at affordable prices. We respect and cherish every user. No matter for praise or criticism, we will do our best to serve our users with a worthy experience.

On April 26th, FiiO's 14th birthday, the FH5s, 2 balanced armatures and 2 dynamic drivers in-ear monitors was officially released. Thank you so much for your company with us along the way. We will keep on working hard to live up to your expectations!
#FiiO #FiiOFH5S

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 10, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,152 of 2,793
Where to start? A lot of companies put a ba in the nozzle. It all depends on the implementation-it's not necessarily a bad thing. I also find it strange that neither of the two reviews mention the amps that were used or the eartips that were used. I would hope that any serious reviewer would try all the eartips that come with any iem and would also have other eartips to try. A lot of people who own the FD5, including myself, have found that using other brands of eartips gives a better sound quality than the stock Fiio eartips. Fiio seems to include the same eartips with all of their upper end models and they don't always give the best results. I own the FD1, FD5, FH3, and FH7, and I only use Fiio eartips on one of them.

Please don't misunderstand. I don't doubt that these reviews are genuine and they reported what they heard. But if you just take any iem and only use the eartips that come installed on it, you may not ever be satisfied with the resulting sound. There are so many variables in play that I personally always want to try at least two amps and various eartips to see what I think. Also a different cable can be helpful.

If you are doing a review you should always specify your source, amp or amps used, and whether you used the stock eartip or eartips and whether you tried any other eartips or cables. That makes it easier for the reader to have an idea how your findings may relate to them.

I wish I could upvote this a million times.

You took the words out of my head when you said "There are so many variables in play". Aside from your own head and ears, there's ear tips, cables, source, and now the added options of the IEMs themselves being tunable.

That essentially makes reviewing them a minefield, I'm guessing, not only for the reviewer but the audience. How do you form a consensus?

May 10, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,153 of 2,793
One of us is an outlier, as I’ve been very pleased with my FiiO collection: FA7, FD1, FH3, FH5, & FD5

While I don’t subscribe to any one manufacturer being the end all and be all for my preferences, FiiO has been more hits, than misses for me.
I am happy with my FiiO purchases as well. Granted, I have not purchased some FiiO products as I found units by other companies more to my preferences for some configurations. The FD5 is still on my radar, but I need confirmation on an easy mod to tame the, hot for me, upper mids/treble. I am not an EQ-type person. I don't do foam tips. Do the RHA filters help?

May 10, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,155 of 2,793

Users who are viewing this thread

Back