FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #586 of 2,767
My ears really don't play well with QDC connectors, I haven't had one yet that hasn't had the ear guides ripping them out or preventing a good seating.
I’m no longer a fan of qdc-type connectors. Between the frequently fractured sockets (on cheaper IEMs) and the fact that the qdc plugs are always angled, and thus don’t always clear your ear, I much prefer standard 2 pin sockets. I actually often prefer using a regular 2 pin plug with the qdc sockets. It‘s not aesthetically as pleasing, but the ergonomics often work better.

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #587 of 2,767
I’m no longer a fan of qdc-type connectors. Between the frequently fractured sockets (on cheaper IEMs) and the fact that the qdc plugs are always angled, and thus don’t always clear your ear, I much prefer standard 2 pin sockets. I actually often prefer using a regular 2 pin plug with the qdc sockets. It‘s not aesthetically as pleasing, but the ergonomics often work better.
Ear shapes are so weird. But I agree I’ve never had a problem with straight 2-pin, just QDC. It’s not like IEMs are a fashion statement, I’m trying to hear the music not accessorize.

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #588 of 2,767
Hi! I am also interested in the NM2+ and would be interested to hear your comparison to the FH3. How does the fit compare? Any particular pros/cons?
I’m still getting adjusted to the NM2+, with that said, after getting my treble issues with it sorted the A/B with the FH3 really makes it obvious how L-shaped the FH3 is. It pulls it off very naturally, especially with the vocal tips, and it doesn’t seem like the bass overpowers anything (especially since it favors the sub-bass so much), but the clarity of the mids on the NM2+ is just on another level. I haven’t figured out yet how much is the tuning and how much is the driver. The NM2+ on the other hand doesn’t have that addictive beryllium slam even though the bass is well extended and tight. I think it probably comes down to your library as to which is better suited. Another way to put it might be that the FH3 is better on the go due to more bass and better isolation, whereas the delicacy and detail of the NM2+ makes it better suited for a quiet evening of at-home listening. Like @Dsnuts said, they’re both great for the tuning they are going for. I find them very complementary. For reference, I am finding the T2+ and the FH3 to be more redundant versus the NM2+ which has a distinctly different character.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #589 of 2,767
Another way to put it might be that the FH3 is better on the go due to more bass and better isolation, whereas the delicacy and detail of the NM2+ makes it better suited for a quiet evening of at-home listening. Like @Dsnuts said, they’re both great for the tuning they are going for. I find them very complementary.
I hope I will as well - I recently pulled the trigger and will receive them in a few weeks. Thanks for your perspective.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #590 of 2,767
Here's my review of FH3:

This is definitely my favorite bassy IEM. Bass is very well controlled, with no intrusion into the midrange. Still bright and lively, excellent definition across the frequency range. Excellently clear midrange without excessive lift of the upper mids. Driver flex the only significant bummer, but I can live with it for this. I think this is better than FH5, definitely the best Fiio IEM I have heard.

Anyone else got an FH5 cable to compare to? Did Fiio change the construction of their LC-B cables, or is FH3 coming with a non-standard variant? A couple changes stand out. (1) The ear guides on FH3 cable terminate openly, whereas earlier LC-B cables I have terminate with caps that look a bit more "finished." (2) Much bigger difference for me, the overall feel of the cable is much springier, and less compliant. I really like the look of the LC-B cable, though it's always been a bit stiff and less compliant than softer cables. But the cable that comes with FH3 is another level unwieldy. It might be a touch softer, but overall it's just very springy and resists bending. Still looks quite nice, but I think if this is the new construction for LC-B cable, it's a downgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #592 of 2,767
I’m still getting adjusted to the NM2+, with that said, after getting my treble issues with it sorted the A/B with the FH3 really makes it obvious how L-shaped the FH3 is. It pulls it off very naturally, especially with the vocal tips, and it doesn’t seem like the bass overpowers anything (especially since it favors the sub-bass so much), but the clarity of the mids on the NM2+ is just on another level. I haven’t figured out yet how much is the tuning and how much is the driver. The NM2+ on the other hand doesn’t have that addictive beryllium slam even though the bass is well extended and tight. I think it probably comes down to your library as to which is better suited. Another way to put it might be that the FH3 is better on the go due to more bass and better isolation, whereas the delicacy and detail of the NM2+ makes it better suited for a quiet evening of at-home listening. Like @Dsnuts said, they’re both great for the tuning they are going for. I find them very complementary. For reference, I am finding the T2+ and the FH3 to be more redundant versus the NM2+ which has a distinctly different character.
I concur with all you said. Right now, I haven’t heard a more natural and realistic sounding IEM with acoustic instruments, than the NM2+. It’s great when you have the ability to really listen to the music. The FH3 is more “fun” sounding, and has really enjoyable, potent, and textured bass. It is a “crowd pleaser” of sorts, and can suit almost all genres of music.

Oct 10, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #593 of 2,767
I concur with all you said. Right now, I haven’t heard a more natural and realistic sounding IEM with acoustic instruments, than the NM2+. It’s great when you have the ability to really listen to the music. The FH3 is more “fun” sounding, and has really enjoyable, potent, and textured bass. It is a “crowd pleaser” of sorts, and can suit almost all genres of music.
Agreed. I will add that I would be hesitant to have the NM2+ as my only IEM. It can border on edgy occasionally in the upper mids and treble. Sometimes I want to listen in a laid back way, the FH3 is great because it can be laid back as well as exciting, whereas I am not sure yet that the NM2+ has quite the same degree of versatility as a do-it-all IEM. But I am confident that pairing the NM2+ and the T2+ gets me a much greater sum of capability than pairing the FH3 and T2+, which as I said have more overlap with one another.

So for somone looking for one IEM I would probably still rec the FH3 for the price range even though technically I think the NM2+ wins and in some cases even sounds more musical while doing so.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #594 of 2,767
I will add that I would be hesitant to have the NM2+ as my only IEM.

So for somone looking for one IEM I would probably still rec the FH3 for the price range.
Me too on both counts.

Oct 10, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #595 of 2,767
Anyone else got an FH5 cable to compare to? Did Fiio change the construction of their LC-B cables, or is FH3 coming with a non-standard variant?
Hi! I recently purchased (and returned) an FH5 and its cable is definitely different as you noted. I think the FH3 must come with a different cable, not an LC-B. PS big fan of your reviews!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #596 of 2,767
Hi! I recently purchased (and returned) an FH5 and its cable is definitely different as you noted. I think the FH3 must come with a different cable, not an LC-B. PS big fan of your reviews!
Hopefully they continue to manufacture the original build, I like it as an aftermarket cable. Thanks for watching ✌️

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #598 of 2,767
Here's my review of FH3:

Anyone else got an FH5 cable to compare to? Did Fiio change the construction of their LC-B cables, or is FH3 coming with a non-standard variant?

I'm not a fun of FiiO cables, but especially this one drastically worse sounding of the FH3, please try them with some pure copper cables possibly on the balanced output. It sounds fantastic then and the treble is much much better.
Anyway great review, these IEMs are worth attention and acclaim :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #599 of 2,767
I'm not a fun of FiiO cables, but especially this one drastically worse sounding of the FH3, please try them with some pure copper cables possibly on the balanced output. It sounds fantastic then and the treble is much much better.
Anyway great review, these IEMs are worth attention and acclaim :)
agreed

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #600 of 2,767
need a comparison,
FH3 vs Final audio E3000,
mainly on metal or rock music,
thank you,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back