[FiiO FW5]HiFi True Wireless Armature Balanced Earbuds,96kHz/24bit Snapdragon Sound, LHDC support, Flagship TWS chip Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332
Dec 1, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #76 of 668
I am afraid FW5 earphones don't seem to be comfortable. I wanted to wait for them and didn't buy Sony WF10000XM4.
DSC00579.JPG

If you can fit the IT04 into your ears no reason why these would be uncomfortable for you. These are roughly the shape of your standard earbuds actually. Its only the bottom of the FW5 that goes into your ears not the bigger top portion. Lol. I have medium sized ears and these fit perfect for me.

I got them connected to my Fiio M15 via aptX. Sounds great. It gets blaringly loud on my end. As per sound quality. These are bass heavy but in a good way it has some powerful low deep reaching bass. Bigger bolder sound profile for outdoor use is what these are about. I just got them myself got to test them more and while lack of LDAC is a bit disappointing. So far so good on my end. Will report back with some more impressions of how they sound soon.

These things rumbles like a champ!. You're a bass fan you would love these things. I am going to burn them in a bit just by using them and see how they turn out. But so far so good. They sound great imo. Sounds got some meat to it. I like!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #77 of 668
So far, after a day's try, I finally can increase volume to max using Fiio control and stay max with PC. Now connecting to PC works well and the only issue is to cellphone, which uses LDAC.

Original review:

Just got mine today. The first impression is, the sound pressure is really really low. Only "Fiio control" can further increase volume but if you do not use a cellphone, then you have to live with the teeny tiny volume.

1) No proximity sensor, It cannot detect wearing status, even the headphone is in the charging case, it will still play until you stop on the host side
2) Does not support LDAC, only AptX for high resolution audio. So if your cellphone only supports LDAC, then you have to live with AAC. However, it can pair with Linux (AptX) very well.
3) Each headphone has separate control. If you want to reset, you need reset both.
4) Paring is very quick, but can only pair one device at a time. If you need pair multiple devices, you need do reset before each pairing. After that, start pairing on the host side.
5) Very light weight, no fitness issue
6) Very short bluetooth distance, only 3/4 of WH1000XM4, 50% of Freebud pro2.

Low volume and no LDAC limit the sound quality and make this headphone far less preferred comparing with the existing ones at current market.

Conclusion:
1. Low volume
2. poor sound quality due to 1) and codec support issue
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback.
The volume could be adjusted by clicking the button with dot in the FW5. You could try to play the music first, then click the button with some force to check again.
As for the first point, we will try to improve in the later firmware update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 2, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #78 of 668
Yes, you are right. Volume can be increased by pressing the button. However, this button is locked to host (computer, cellphone) volume. If headphone volume is set to 50%, host volume is 100%, the overall max volume is 100%x50%=50%.

To unlink the volume to host, you need Fiio control. However, Fiio control only exists in cellphone. Once you pair to computer (You need reset first to pair) the stored Fiio control setting is gone. Hope you have a more clear picture of the problem now.

Now my solution is, pair to PC1, reset, pair to PC2, reset, pair to cellphone (should the last one to pair), now run Fiio control and increase headphone volume. At this time, even the FW5 is not paired to any PC, but PC has stored MAC of FW5. Next time link to PC, need manually connect to FW5 at control panel. There is no Auto pair any more. But this does solve the volume issue.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #81 of 668
Yes, you are right. Volume can be increased by pressing the button. However, this button is locked to host (computer, cellphone) volume. If headphone volume is set to 50%, host volume is 100%, the overall max volume is 100%x50%=50%.

To unlink the volume to host, you need Fiio control. However, Fiio control only exists in cellphone. Once you pair to computer (You need reset first to pair) the stored Fiio control setting is gone. Hope you have a more clear picture of the problem now.

Now my solution is, pair to PC1, reset, pair to PC2, reset, pair to cellphone (should the last one to pair), now run Fiio control and increase headphone volume. At this time, even the FW5 is not paired to any PC, but PC has stored MAC of FW5. Next time link to PC, need manually connect to FW5 at control panel. There is no Auto pair any more. But this does solve the volume issue.
Dear friend,

We will report to the engineer and see whether we could report the issue first. Thanks for the kind feedback.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #82 of 668
Fully Integrated True Wireless Earbuds, FiiO FW5
Chapter 2 Who is not suggested to get the FW5?

In the last chapter, we shared some background of the HiFi TWS FW5, and received some inquiries from consumers. In today's chapter, we would like to talk about the shortcomings of the FW5, and who is not suggested to get it.
1. Those who require active noise cancellation
Undoubtedly, active noise cancellation is necessary for mainstream TWS earbuds. This has a lot to do with their usage scenario. After all, the noise in the outdoor environment is relatively large. With active noise cancellation, the ambient noise can be eliminated and the sound quality can be greatly improved.
However, active noise cancellation has both advantages and disadvantages, because the principle of active noise cancellation is to use a microphone to pick up ambient noise, invert the phase internally, and then release it through headphones to cancel out the external noise. It's like setting a thief to catch a thief.
Although the principle of active noise cancellation is simple, there are some disadvantages during use due to limitations of microphone accuracy, algorithm, and delay of signal processing. The phase generated from the inside cannot perfectly counteract the external noise. Therefore, after enabling the noise cancellation function, the "noise" actively added by TWS cannot be counteracted. Then it becomes audible noises.
In addition, technically speaking, since the FW5 has added an independent DAC, the active noise cancellation algorithm and the circuit structure are more complicated. Therefore, the FW5 does not support active noise cancellation.
2. Those who require extreme wearing comfort
Compared with consumer TWS products, the FW5 employs an independent HiFi-level DAC chip, so it has better SNR, THD+N and output power than those with a built-in DAC. Also, the 1 dynamic 2 balanced armature driver design is rarely used. Naturally, it would have a larger cavity than those consumer TWS products. And the FW5 has no handle, which is also a limitation.
Therefore, the FW5 is not suitable for strenuous exercise occasions. It is better to wear an ear-hook TWS like Beats.
3. Those who have high requirements for user experience
This is not just the FW5, any independent third-party headphone brand can't do it well, because TWS is mainly used with mobile phones. Mobile phone manufacturers develop their own TWS products, and they can do various optimizations and add extra functions, such as designing colorful animations for when opening the case lid, quick connection and free migration within its own ecological chain (a typical example is AirPods, which can switch freely between the iPhone, iPad and Mac).
tablets, and computers).
If you have this requirement, it is suggested to use the TWS brand the same as your mobile phone's.

2.jpg

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #83 of 668
@FiiO
What's the average latency of Game Mode?
Dear friend,

Similar as UTWS5:

Turning on the Game Mode can significantly improve the low latency in the Bluetooth transmission process.

Tested by FiiO Labs, the aptX Adaptive can improve the latency by about 27% while the aptX can improve by about 41%.
**When connecting the UTWS5 to the Mi 10 in aptX Adaptive codec, the measured latency goes up to 165ms with the Game Mode off, while the latency goes down to 121ms with the Game Mode on.
**When connecting the UTWS5 to the Huawei P20 in aptX codec, the measured latency goes up to 255ms with the Game Mode off, while the latency goes down to 150ms with the Game Mode on.

Best regards

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #84 of 668

In the last chapter, we shared some background of the HiFi TWS FW5, and received some inquiries from consumers. In today's chapter, we would like to talk about the shortcomings of the FW5, and who is not suggested to get it.
Undoubtedly, active noise cancellation is necessary for mainstream TWS earbuds. This has a lot to do with their usage scenario. After all, the noise in the outdoor environment is relatively large. With active noise cancellation, the ambient noise can be eliminated and the sound quality can be greatly improved.
However, active noise cancellation has both advantages and disadvantages, because the principle of active noise cancellation is to use a microphone to pick up ambient noise, invert the phase internally, and then release it through headphones to cancel out the external noise. It's like setting a thief to catch a thief.
Although the principle of active noise cancellation is simple, there are some disadvantages during use due to limitations of microphone accuracy, algorithm, and delay of signal processing. The phase generated from the inside cannot perfectly counteract the external noise. Therefore, after enabling the noise cancellation function, the "noise" actively added by TWS cannot be counteracted. Then it becomes audible noises.
In addition, technically speaking, since the FW5 has added an independent DAC, the active noise cancellation algorithm and the circuit structure are more complicated. Therefore, the FW5 does not support active noise cancellation.
Compared with consumer TWS products, the FW5 employs an independent HiFi-level DAC chip, so it has better SNR, THD+N and output power than those with a built-in DAC. Also, the 1 dynamic 2 balanced armature driver design is rarely used. Naturally, it would have a larger cavity than those consumer TWS products. And the FW5 has no handle, which is also a limitation.
Therefore, the FW5 is not suitable for strenuous exercise occasions. It is better to wear an ear-hook TWS like Beats.
This is not just the FW5, any independent third-party headphone brand can't do it well, because TWS is mainly used with mobile phones. Mobile phone manufacturers develop their own TWS products, and they can do various optimizations and add extra functions, such as designing colorful animations for when opening the case lid, quick connection and free migration within its own ecological chain (a typical example is AirPods, which can switch freely between the iPhone, iPad and Mac).
tablets, and computers).
If you have this requirement, it is suggested to use the TWS brand the same as your mobile phone's.

2.jpg
I really hope that fw5 is about sound) for the rest there is other junk

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #85 of 668
Dear friend,

Similar as UTWS5:

Turning on the Game Mode can significantly improve the low latency in the Bluetooth transmission process.

Tested by FiiO Labs, the aptX Adaptive can improve the latency by about 27% while the aptX can improve by about 41%.
**When connecting the UTWS5 to the Mi 10 in aptX Adaptive codec, the measured latency goes up to 165ms with the Game Mode off, while the latency goes down to 121ms with the Game Mode on.
**When connecting the UTWS5 to the Huawei P20 in aptX codec, the measured latency goes up to 255ms with the Game Mode off, while the latency goes down to 150ms with the Game Mode on.

Best regards
Thank you!

Now we need a way for the Control app to disable some of the BT codecs to "force" the phone/tablet/BT transmitter to connect with a specific codec.

I bought myself a FW5 (waiting for it to arrive). I haven't had problems with fit with all my past iems (the only exception being the ISN H40) so this should be good too. And if the pressure relief is the same as the FD series, that's good too.
Hopefully, the LC3/LC3plus codec can be added in the future with Qualcomm's support. Just as you did for LDAC!

I agree with the rest of your points so please keep improving this product.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #86 of 668
Chapter 1 Where is the way out for HiFi manufacturers?

Speaking of the FW5, there is a heavy topic that cannot be avoided, that is, where is the way out for HiFi manufacturers?
In the past few decades, the traditional HiFi audio system and HiFi headphone system have been declining, which is not surprising at all. Because now using mobile phones with TWS earbuds is convenient and the sound quality can meet 99% of users.
Therefore, for the manufacturers, those who follow the trend will survive while those who do not will be sifted out of the HiFi market. Like Sennheiser and AKG, they committed themselves to others, while other brands are still struggling, especially those big headphone brands. They are neither willing to lose their consumers nor quit nor commit themselves to others. So they have been attempting to make sound quality the major selling point, targeting those who ever bought high-end HiFi wired headphones.
Based on our personal incomplete observation, we have never seen very successful HiFi TWS earbuds. Excluding SONY, it's basically not a traditional HiFi headphone brand.
We are sorry that FiiO is not so talented, but we still tried to develop two TWS products. To be honest, the sales of thousands of units are not worth mentioning, but we are still very grateful to those who support us.
Even so, we are always thinking the reason that FiiO's TWS products were not popular is not that consumers don't pay attention to sound quality, but the sound quality of our products was basically the same as that of mobile phones.
Therefore, the FW5 might be our last attempt on the HiFi TWS market. It is also an attempt to verify whether the so-called HIFI TWS is a real market, or just exists in our mind.

tablets, and computers).
Well.... After these two chapters, there is not much positive in your speech. I don't get the impression that you want to sell your TWS.
It's like.. .this is not very good for the future of this device..

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #87 of 668
Well.... After these two chapters, there is not much positive in your speech. I don't get the impression that you want to sell your TWS.
It's like.. .this is not very good for the future of this device..
I think it is most correct to list some bad places first, so that people who want to buy it have fully considered it, so that they do not buy it and then return it。

Most TWS headphones have auditory noise cancellation, but when adding noise cancellation, it is very difficult to do a good job of listening

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #88 of 668
You're being honest, to your credit.
But it's still good, when you have a new product, to put in front its qualities and what differentiates it from the competition.
It would have been nice to highlight it in your second chapter, for example

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #89 of 668
Dear friend,

We will report to the engineer and see whether we could report the issue first. Thanks for the kind feedback.

Best regards
Let's hope you mean it this time as broken promises on previous products support.

I ordered these, I hope I do not regret it (own a FiiO Neck Band and a BTA30 PRO) as well as two sets of wired earbuds).

A solution to the above, make a Windows App simple and even a £15 Dongle from AliExpress has one.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #90 of 668
FW5 audio quality is so so pairing with most devices due to codec limitation. Many cellphones do not have AptX and most newer Windows computers do not support AptX either (I think only older Intel Wifi card 7xxx has AptX support). Even pairing with wm1a shows so so audio quality for some reason. Sony WH1000xm3,4,5 also suffer the same issue.

But FW5 audio quality is really really good with Linux. Moden Linux has both AptX and LDAC support despite hardware variance and this FW5 pairing process is much simple than others -- only need start pair on host side. I can say this is the first Linux friendly bluetooth headset. So the issue is mainly the software side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back