[FiiO FW5]HiFi True Wireless Armature Balanced Earbuds,96kHz/24bit Snapdragon Sound, LHDC support, Flagship TWS chip Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332
Dec 6, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #91 of 680
Nearly all Android mobiles in past 6+ years support aptX, so does Win 10 (if updated) and Win 11, the older Intel WIFI card had it before official supported due to a special Dell driver.

Windows now supports SBC/aptX and more recently AAC and very recently LDAC can be made work also: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aptx-adaptive-aptx-lossless-usb-transmitters.961856/page-45

I also have an aptX Adaptive USB Dongle and FiiO BTA30 PRO so covered for SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/aptX Adaptive/LDAC

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #92 of 680
I also have an aptX Adaptive USB Dongle and FiiO BTA30 PRO so covered for SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/aptX Adaptive/LDAC

Fiio BTA30 pro cannot work as bluetooth transmitter in DAC mode. If you want LDAC/AptX with BTA30 pro, you either feed in signal using optical cable, or using line out.That is, no digital in digital out.

That means, in order to use FW5, I have to spend $150 to get BTA30 pro, spend another $100 to upgrade sound card with optical out, or spend $30 to get a AptX dongle, and carry an android phone on the go to enjoy FW5?

So do you realize the problem behind FW5? It is not a ready to run device, either you already have all equipment, or you have to spend more. FW5 is NOT designed for general public that can pick up in store and go. It is ONLY for people like you.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #93 of 680
I really do not get your rant or trying to educate me, it will play with AAC/aptX on nearly any Apple/Android device and for all others is has to fall back to SBC.

I bought the BTA30 PRO for one reason, to get LDAC on my PC (Android phone and Nvidia Shield already had it), so it is not in DAC Mode, it is using USB Audio (does not need Optical) and outputs to whatever Codec I want at that time via the button on front.

The BTA30 PRO will not add anything Windows does not have for these buds (SBC/AAC/aptX) even if FiiO do add LDAC later I have already said/shown that can be done now in Windows without the BTA30 PRO.

You do not need to buy anything, my advice to you is do not buy these or any other aptX Adaptive buds as they all are more or less the same with SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX Adaptive.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #94 of 680
I also don't understand all this device's bashing...

The Alternative AD2P driver or the Aliexpress dongle (if one doesn't want to fiddle with drivers) should cover most usages.

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #95 of 680
I also don't understand all this device's bashing...

The Alternative AD2P driver or the Aliexpress dongle (if one doesn't want to fiddle with drivers) should cover most usages.
You are 100% right -- you really do not need anything extra to hear something from FW5. The difficulty I have now is to find a good reason to buy FW5 (though I already bought one) -- since I (and many others) already have plenty of headphones, range from $2000 to $20, all can blow some sound out.

It is us problem, and Fiio's selling problem, not your problem.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #96 of 680
Fiio BTA30 pro cannot work as bluetooth transmitter in DAC mode. If you want LDAC/AptX with BTA30 pro, you either feed in signal using optical cable, or using line out.That is, no digital in digital out.

That means, in order to use FW5, I have to spend $150 to get BTA30 pro, spend another $100 to upgrade sound card with optical out, or spend $30 to get a AptX dongle, and carry an android phone on the go to enjoy FW5?

So do you realize the problem behind FW5? It is not a ready to run device, either you already have all equipment, or you have to spend more. FW5 is NOT designed for general public that can pick up in store and go. It is ONLY for people like you.
I really do not get your rant or trying to educate me, it will play with AAC/aptX on nearly any Apple/Android device and for all others is has to fall back to SBC.

I bought the BTA30 PRO for one reason, to get LDAC on my PC (Android phone and Nvidia Shield already had it), so it is not in DAC Mode, it is using USB Audio (does not need Optical) and outputs to whatever Codec I want at that time via the button on front.

The BTA30 PRO will not add anything Windows does not have for these buds (SBC/AAC/aptX) even if FiiO do add LDAC later I have already said/shown that can be done now in Windows without the BTA30 PRO.

You do not need to buy anything, my advice to you is do not buy these or any other aptX Adaptive buds as they all are more or less the same with SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX Adaptive.
Yes, you are right. @helmutcheese :beerchug:

BTA30PRO only needs a USB cable to plug into the computer for DAC and Bluetooth launch, you can double check it @dbsf

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #97 of 680
Not sure where the criticism on codecs is coming from. I've owned multiple TWS including AirPods Pro Gen 2, Jabra Elite 7, Bose QC II, Sony Linkbuds S, Status Between Pro and the revered Nobel FoKus Pro.

FW5 has very comprehensive codec support in SBC/AAC/aptx/aptx Adaptive/LHDC, driven by the Qualcomm QCC5141.

If you've got a problem with the codec support for the FW5, you've basically got a problem with all TWS earbuds because many of them (including those listed above) only support SBC/AAC.

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #98 of 680
Personally I can't tell a differene between APTX HD/Adaptive and LDAC. The only major difference I hear when it comes to codec are SBC vs AAC/ATPX/LDAC. I guess people wouldn't complain as much if Samsung offered APTX Adaptive/HD given they're the largest smartphone maker by units. I'm using a phone by Sony that does offer Aptx Adaptive.

I can live without ANC, but the FW5 seems to offer very little passive noise cancelling? On the other hand if its well-vented it could be really comfortable, but I just hope that the passive noise isolation is enough for most scenarios.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #99 of 680
I'm also curious if Fiio finally made the transparency mode easily accessible? Or is it still a hefty triple click and that you manually have to pause music like on the UTWS5?

edit:...Meh the control scheme looks like a total mess lol, I have no hopes that Fiio will enable us to fully customize the controllers like many other OEMS like Sennheiser/Technics etc? That's always the thing with Fiio, amazing hardware, poor software -.-

Just give us fully customizable controls plz fiio!

I'll buy the FW5 straight away if the transperency mode is finally easy accessible and if the earbuds offer a decent amount of passive noise isolation.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 17-56-29 Full Link HiFi TWS Headset FW5.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 17-56-29 Full Link HiFi TWS Headset FW5.png
    924.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #100 of 680
Personally I can't tell a differene between APTX HD/Adaptive and LDAC. The only major difference I hear when it comes to codec are SBC vs AAC/ATPX/LDAC. I guess people wouldn't complain as much if Samsung offered APTX Adaptive/HD given they're the largest smartphone maker by units. I'm using a phone by Sony that does offer Aptx Adaptive.

I can live without ANC, but the FW5 seems to offer very little passive noise cancelling? On the other hand if its well-vented it could be really comfortable, but I just hope that the passive noise isolation is enough for most scenarios.
LDAC is coming with the new firmware (hopefully). Otherwise you have Hiby's and Fiio's apps which can transmit HWA which is basically LHDC in software.

They said venting is similar to the FD series so it should have a typical passive isolation without the pressure build-up.
I'm also curious if Fiio finally made the transparency mode easily accessible? Or is it still a hefty triple click and that you manually have to pause music like on the UTWS5?

edit:...Meh the control scheme looks like a total mess lol, I have no hopes that Fiio will enable us to fully customize the controllers like many other OEMS like Sennheiser/Technics etc? That's always the thing with Fiio, amazing hardware, poor software -.-

Just give us fully customizable controls plz fiio!
1670433371624.png

If they could replace the part in red with Transparency Mode that would be helpful (pausing the music in the process). Call management is already present on the secondary button anyway. Also the part in blue could be assigned to the Game Mode for lower latency on-the-fly.

Anyway, more customization would be great @FiiO

I'll try experimenting when I receive my unit.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #101 of 680
Quote:

"Otherwise you have Hiby's and Fiio's apps which can transmit HWA which is basically LHDC in software"

Can you fill me in on more details with this, I have had LDHC earbuds (2 pairs AFAIR) but no way to use that Codec on my phone so with the FiiO App and the FiiO NeckBand with LDAC, BTA 30 PRO and the FW5 when they arrive can somehow emulate LHDC?

EDIT: It would seem the old "no space left on the Chipset" reply when I looked it up for both my FiiO devices above.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #102 of 680
LDAC is coming with the new firmware (hopefully). Otherwise you have Hiby's and Fiio's apps which can transmit HWA which is basically LHDC in software.

They said venting is similar to the FD series so it should have a typical passive isolation without the pressure build-up.

1670433371624.png
If they could replace the part in red with Transparency Mode that would be helpful (pausing the music in the process). Call management is already present on the secondary button anyway. Also the part in blue could be assigned to the Game Mode for lower latency on-the-fly.

Anyway, more customization would be great @FiiO

I'll try experimenting when I receive my unit.

Doesn't even seem to be a transparency mode now when I look more closely... :/

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #103 of 680
Screenshot_20221207-211409808.jpg
This is the setting on the Hiby app. It's called HWA on the Fiio one. If enabled it should transmit in LHDC.
The protocol BT uses to comunicate is AD2P. The software does the encoding, like LDAC or Aptx, so theoretically one could add other codecs to the player software. However things like encoding speed, error correction and other BT parameters determine if the codec is suitable for the task or no. It's the same for the proprietary codec Hiby uses for its devices UAT.

Doesn't even seem to be a transparency mode now when I look more closely... :/
Probably not advertised, who knows. Until we have the device on hand we can only speculate.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #104 of 680
Screenshot_20221207-211409808.jpg
This is the setting on the Hiby app. It's called HWA on the Fiio one. If enabled it should transmit in LHDC.
The protocol BT uses to comunicate is AD2P. The software does the encoding, like LDAC or Aptx, so theoretically one could add other codecs to the player software. However things like encoding speed, error correction and other BT parameters determine if the codec is suitable for the task or no. It's the same for the proprietary codec Hiby uses for its devices UAT.

Probably not advertised, who knows. Until we have the device on hand we can only speculate.

They wouldn't not advertise it cause having it would possibly double the interest in the FW5. There are many who will not give up that feature. Also we have the control scheme and they wouldn't have a feature but not be able activate it and with two buttons they would not have to leave it out. It just doesn't have it.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #105 of 680
@Dsnuts can chime in. He has the FW5 already. Does it show any transparency/ambient mode at fiio's control app? Can you try a tripple click in one of the buttons?
Also what you think about mic quality and passive isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back