[FiiO FW5]HiFi True Wireless Armature Balanced Earbuds,96kHz/24bit Snapdragon Sound, LHDC support, Flagship TWS chip Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332
Dec 20, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #136 of 668
I feel something is off but will need try later as on charge and will test with no EQ and various EQ's to give them a chance.

Normally in PowerAmp Pro I use the POP EQ+ the additional Tone settings with Bass 25% and Treble 50%, or I turn it OFF completely if not needed.

On PC I do not use any of the Windows Sound Enhancements and turn the EQ OFF in MusicBee.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #138 of 668
So far there is nothing special that blows me away, the BT range is a joke and I feel the battery life will not meet the claims but still time will tell and more so since they seem to encourage you set it to Max Charge of 85% in the App to prolong its life

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #139 of 668
I am surprised you dont have good BT range. I have no issues using them a good 40 ft away at my home. I am wondering if you should try that again after a full charge.

My other advice is give them some time to break in. They will sound much better after some use on them. If your gonna maximize its battery time might as well let it play music the whole time to break in the DLC driver.

I got less than 7 hours Fiio is claiming but easily over 6 hours playing time. I think if you have conversations in between that is when the battery life will be cut down more so. But over 6 hours is acceptable imo especially for having its own DAC chip.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #140 of 668
They are at full charge now, I can hardly walk out the room without crackles I feel these will bring me nothing I already have on other my buds/neckband.

Put it this way if from Amazon they would be going back in a week or so.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #141 of 668
Got them yesterday but only had time to listen today.

A couple dB more bass wouldn't hurt for me :smile:. No I'm kidding, bass is nice even though I'm using Azla Sedna Earfit on them which have a wide bore opening and enhance detail and technicalities. I don't find them fatiguing. The tunning is quite safe. I'll need some time to adjust as I'm used to the CCA CRA wired which has quite the subbass.

Very comfortable. They don't vanish but no hotspots on my ears. Very lightweight too. They stay put in place even when I shake my head. The HS18 tips were too soft and wouldn't isolate well so I switched to the Azla Sedna Earfit.

I tried the connection strength with my phone. It would hold from my room to the kitchen (a wall with a TV and a wooden wardrobe). No stuttering or dropouts. Once I put my hands in front of the IEMs however the signal would drop completely. Will need to test it with my notebook's BT (Intel AX210).

24bit 48khz Aptx Adaptive on my end as you can see in the attachments. I tried Fiio's HWA but it keeps reverting to disabled for some reason. I also tried Hiby's HWA, which doesn't seem to do anything if I switch it on or off. Maybe Aptx Adaptive is taking priority over it.

@FiiO I don't know if it's a bug as it might be my phone too. I found a strange behaviour. Sometimes, when I click the play/pause action, it would not register the command and instead of continue playing music it would give a beep sound.
Come on Fiio, we need those customizations on the Control app! Codec enable/disable, EQ and button tweaking :)

More impressions as I live with them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221220-221448565_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20221220-221448565_1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221220-221227245.jpg
    Screenshot_20221220-221227245.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #142 of 668
I had the same issue with the Fiio music player. So have switched to Hiby and it works without issue. Not using FW5 at this point, just UTWS5. I don't own a lot of hires music but what do own does sound noticeably better with the HWA setting enabled.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #143 of 668
I had a right look at the case now, they could have put a friction hinge on the lid, no Wireless Charging (but I knew this beforehand).

I was reading here the other day the Pros's and Con's of earbuds connecting with the lid open or by being removed from the case.

This is the lid open version and I have not had many like this, it makes it hard to gauge the earbuds battery TBH.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 025844.png

Screenshot 2022-12-21 025810.png

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #144 of 668
Получил их вчера, но успел послушать только сегодня.

Еще пара дБ баса не помешала бы мне. Нет, я шучу, басы хороши, хотя я использую Azla Sedna Earfit на них, которые имеют широкое отверстие и улучшают детализацию и технические детали. Я не нахожу их утомительными. Тюнинг вполне безопасен. Мне понадобится некоторое время, чтобы приспособиться, так как я привык к подключению CCA CRA, которое имеет довольно суббазу.:улыбаться:

Очень удобно. Они не исчезают, но нет горячих точек на моих ушах. Очень легкий тоже. Они остаются на месте, даже когда я качаю головой. Наконечники HS18 были слишком мягкими и плохо изолировались, поэтому я переключился на Azla Sedna Earfit.

Я попробовал силу соединения с моим телефоном. Он будет проходить от моей комнаты до кухни (стена с телевизором и деревянным шкафом). Никаких заиканий или отсева. Как только я положил руки перед IEM, сигнал полностью упал. Нужно будет протестировать его с BT моего ноутбука (Intel AX210).

24bit 48khz Aptx Adaptive на моей стороне, как вы можете видеть во вложениях. Я попробовал HWA Fiio, но по какой-то причине он продолжает возвращаться к отключению. Я также попробовал Hiby's HWA, который, кажется, ничего не делает, если я включаю или выключаю его. Возможно, Aptx Adaptive имеет приоритет над ним.

@FiiO Я не знаю, является ли это ошибкой, так как это может быть и мой телефон. Я обнаружил странное поведение. Иногда, когда я нажимаю на действие воспроизведения/паузы, он не регистрирует команду и вместо того, чтобы продолжать воспроизведение музыки, он издает звуковой сигнал.
Приходите на Fiio, нам нужны эти настройки в приложении Control! Включение/отключение кодека, настройка эквалайзера и кнопок :)

Больше впечатлений, так как я живу с ними.
Did you manage to connect via HWA ?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #146 of 668
Got them yesterday but only had time to listen today.

A couple dB more bass wouldn't hurt for me :smile:. No I'm kidding, bass is nice even though I'm using Azla Sedna Earfit on them which have a wide bore opening and enhance detail and technicalities. I don't find them fatiguing. The tunning is quite safe. I'll need some time to adjust as I'm used to the CCA CRA wired which has quite the subbass.

Very comfortable. They don't vanish but no hotspots on my ears. Very lightweight too. They stay put in place even when I shake my head. The HS18 tips were too soft and wouldn't isolate well so I switched to the Azla Sedna Earfit.

I tried the connection strength with my phone. It would hold from my room to the kitchen (a wall with a TV and a wooden wardrobe). No stuttering or dropouts. Once I put my hands in front of the IEMs however the signal would drop completely. Will need to test it with my notebook's BT (Intel AX210).

24bit 48khz Aptx Adaptive on my end as you can see in the attachments. I tried Fiio's HWA but it keeps reverting to disabled for some reason. I also tried Hiby's HWA, which doesn't seem to do anything if I switch it on or off. Maybe Aptx Adaptive is taking priority over it.

@FiiO I don't know if it's a bug as it might be my phone too. I found a strange behaviour. Sometimes, when I click the play/pause action, it would not register the command and instead of continue playing music it would give a beep sound.
Come on Fiio, we need those customizations on the Control app! Codec enable/disable, EQ and button tweaking :)

More impressions as I live with them.
Dear friend,

We will report your feedback to the engineer for check. The HWA in FiiO Music app is not the same version as the LHDC supported by FW5.
As for the feature you mentioned, the engineers are assessing and trying to add for the FW5.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 21, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #147 of 668
I got the chance to play with LHDC on the FW5. As I said, my friend's OP 9 Pro supports LHDC on a system level (visible from the BT section of the Developers page and selectable once the FW5 is connected). The difference vs Aptx Adaptive is quite small to be honest. Maybe a touch deeper/taller stage, tiny bit smoother midrange but not much.

And yeah, HWA doesn't seem to do anything on my phone. I have a Snapdragon 855 SOC which supports 24bit 48khz Aptx Adaptive. The OP 9 Pro has a Snapdragon 888 which goes to 24bit 96khz on the same codec.

Most probably LDAC will enable 24/96. Even then, the difference will be small I think, however it will increase compatibility as even the most basic android build supports LDAC.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #148 of 668
After 1 day with them, I can say they sound really good, on some songs they are touch bass heavy (no EQ so OFF) in Windows.

FiiO Control v3.5 is out, newer than the latest on FiiO website (v3.4).

I seem to get about 5 hours of real use out of them with aptX or aptX Adaptive FiiO Claim 7 hours on these Codecs with Device Vol @100% and Earbuds at Level 19 in the App (it goes to 32) and you will need more than 19 out and about and I normally am at 22 at least depending on the album playing.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #149 of 668
FW5_1.JPG

FW5_2.JPG

FW5-graph.png

Hi folks, some early impressions of FW5 (iPhone XR, AAC connection, Apple Music lossless)
  • The first and most significant impression is the large soundstage. I didn't expect a pair of TWS to project this kind of soundstage. Even for a soundstage addict like I am, I cannot complain. When I asked my wife to try the buds with "Let it be me" by Everly Brothers, she kept looking around with a puzzled look because, according to her, the singers are right in the middle of the instruments are spread around her. She has never heard such presentation with her over-head Sony XM4.
  • The build of the charging cradle could be better. It feels plasticky and hollow. Luckily, the build of the buds themselves are quite nice.
  • The bass is less insane that what I expected. If you want to dial down the bass, using the included HS18 tips. They are comfortable, let the details shine, and tone down the bass just a touch to make the whole presentation crisper and tighter.
  • I hear the (in)famous treble air boost similarly to 64 Audio IEMs with TIA drivers. This tuning makes soundstage feel larger and micro details a bit more apparent.
  • No treble harshness due to the strategic dip around 3.5kHz and 6kHz.
  • Treble (such as trumpets) sounds a bit grainy. I don't know whether that's because of the BA drivers or the bluetooth.
  • Bluetooth connection seems stable. I can go around doing house work just fine.
  • Sound isolation is good. I did not need to turn up the volume even though the fan stove was on full tilt.
  • Software quirk: I cannot control the volume with the buttons on iPhone. I'll try with Android phone as well. Meanwhile, any advice, @FiiO?

In general, I am surprised how good these TWS sound. I can finally leave my DAP behind when I do house work or workout, without feeling lacking in sound quality. As good as my DAP + wired IEM combo? We will see in detailed A/B tests in my future full review.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #150 of 668
@FiiO I have found a couple problems:
  • Volume control does not work with neither Android or iOS. I tried iPhone XR and Shanling M6 Ultra.
  • The Fiio control app fails to connect to FW5 most of the time, even though I already managed to pair and listen to music from FW5
  • FW5 does not pair with my Xiaomi Mi A1 phone running LineageOS. The phone complains about incorrect pin or passcode when I try to pair. FW5 was already in pairing mode (fast blinking light)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back