FIIO first cassette player CP13 is officially released!
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #196 of 407
Next up portable SACD (or CD) player :)

Recent examples of those all seem to lack basic gapless playback. It’s inexplicable how that simple functionality has been lost.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #198 of 407
FiiO CP13 VS SONY DDII :beerchug:
02.jpg
01.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 25, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #199 of 407
Let's hope the CP13 specs can also compare favourably with the DDII specs from 40 years ago:

W&F - 0.13% (DIN), 0.08% (WRMS)
Frequency range - 40-15000 @4Hz
Output - 2x 20mW
Battery life - 9h
Weight - 290gr

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #200 of 407
IMG_6931.pngThis medium is what I grew up on so it never went away. Tapes are still a big part of my life and it sure brings joy to know some audio brands still have certain interest in the analog side of life. It’s is not to be compared or put in with todays digital formats but the joy in opening a cassette tape cover, looking through the art and lyrics, sliding it into the tray and pressing play is something that only a tapehead will understand.
I think I found my people...! :beerchug:

IMG_5259.jpg

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #201 of 407
Let's hope the CP13 specs can also compare favourably with the DDII specs from 40 years ago:

W&F - 0.13% (DIN), 0.08% (WRMS)
Frequency range - 40-15000 @4Hz
Output - 2x 20mW
Battery life - 9h
Weight - 290gr
EDIT:
CP13's Output: above 250mV [not 250mW] per channel
----------
I'm very sorry to disappoint you, CP13 is far from being a DDII

I think the main problems is the control of low noise and the choice of tape sound,
partly because there are very few high-quality heads nowadays, and partly because you can't find a chip that supports Dolby noise reduction that's still in mass production.

The Specs of CP13 about:
W&F - 0.22% (Publishable value), 0.15% (minimum value)--This is the current data from a small batch, and batch testing will be needed to see if there is subsequent improvement
Frequency range - 40-15000 @4Hz--
Output - 2x 20mW--Our current test data, above 250mV[edit] per channel
Battery life - 9h---CP13 is above 13H @40mV output (I think 20 hours is fine if the user's volume is low enough)
Weight - 290gr---CP13 is about 310g

I think I've exposed too much already:ksc75smile:
but here's what everyone must be aware of,
These are not the final specs of CP13, everything is based on the data published on the official website:beerchug:

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #202 of 407
@FiiO Willson Thanks for sharing the specs.
Would be interested to see an output power specification into a standard 32ohm load (in mW) as the output voltage
can be misleading when you're not specifying into what load impedance that is measured.

Would also like to see a frequency response specification measured at -3dB points.

These are suggestions for the release and what I think would be useful to exist in the official specs.

Also have a question:
See the volume know has a marked OFF position. Does that switch completely disconnect the battery from the circuit so there's no parasitic drain ?
Given the battery is non-removable and device isn't easy to open, it would kind of make sense that at least the walkman is designed in a way so battery
lasts as long as it's possible, even when it sits in storage for long periods of time.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #203 of 407
@FiiO WillsonGiven the battery is non-removable and device isn't easy to open, it would kind of make sense that at least the walkman is designed in a way so battery
lasts as long as it's possible, even when it sits in storage for long periods of time.
There are several industries that need to stop with the inaccessible, un-removable and non-replaceable batteries and the personal audio device arena is a prime offender here. Seriously, there's no reason they can't add 4 screws to the back cover and let you replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge.

Old GPS units, old tablets, old phones, etc. All were a pain to access but you could generally replace the battery. But Apple has shown all you have to do is make it inaccessible or destroy the device trying in order to make you just buy a new device instead. It's just a profit mechanism and a huge waste. Most of these products would still be in use if only you could drop in a new battery. Case in point - my almost 40 year old Walkman that runs on 2 AA batteries which are easily accessible. Yeah, it's a real pain to replace the belts on it for sure but it's doable.

I've already tossed 2 iPods that couldn't have the batteries replaced, at least 1 tablet, and I know my Fiio X5 Gen II will be on that list at some point.

So Fiio, if this is a device which has an inaccessible battery that will die in 5 years or so and this is a one-off product that won't be continued, I'd definitely reconsider a purchase when they are available.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #204 of 407
There are several industries that need to stop with the inaccessible, un-removable and non-replaceable batteries and the personal audio device arena is a prime offender here. Seriously, there's no reason they can't add 4 screws to the back cover and let you replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge.

Old GPS units, old tablets, old phones, etc. All were a pain to access but you could generally replace the battery. But Apple has shown all you have to do is make it inaccessible or destroy the device trying in order to make you just buy a new device instead. It's just a profit mechanism and a huge waste. Most of these products would still be in use if only you could drop in a new battery. Case in point - my almost 40 year old Walkman that runs on 2 AA batteries which are easily accessible. Yeah, it's a real pain to replace the belts on it for sure but it's doable.

I've already tossed 2 iPods that couldn't have the batteries replaced, at least 1 tablet, and I know my Fiio X5 Gen II will be on that list at some point.

So Fiio, if this is a device which has an inaccessible battery that will die in 5 years or so and this is a one-off product that won't be continued, I'd definitely reconsider a purchase when they are available.
On my MacBook Pro, the entire keyboard is discarded with the old batteries as they are glued together! Could they make if so the batteries are easily accessible, of course. I have had the unit open and it would not be hard but they don't. I notice some portable audio devices are now making it easy to change the batteries and that is welcome.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #205 of 407
Very interested to hear more about this, and will no doubt be an earlier buyer. I just recently purchased a Panasonic RQ-S15 on eBay, pretty much unused and in perfect condition for a 30 year old device, the accessories were still in what looked like their original packaging etc. I had one exactly like it in the mid 90s, but was stolen at a party back then - delighted to have it again. The only thing is I can hear 'wobbles' in the sound at times, especially in mid-range and I suspect the belt needs to be replaced.

Anyway, looking forward to this from FiiO!

IMG_7277.jpeg

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #207 of 407
This inaccesible, non-removable battery is a trend that needs to be stopped !
While I can understand the argument of lithium chemistry providing higher density than NiMH and the argument flat cells use space better (don't buy
any of these arguments for a cassette player), there's no valid argument (design of case is an invalid one) for not putting the case together with screws.

I (and many others) prefer the oldschool AA batteries as they can provide enough capacity (2 x 2500mAh = 6Wh) and they are standard.
The fact they're standard beats the disadvantages in this application. 6Wh means at a power draw of 500mW, the batteries will last 12 hours.
Do we really need more than that ? I don't think so.
Even if it will be continued, maybe someone wants to collect such a device and they will store it unused for long periods of time.
With AA batteries, this is not a problem as one can simply remove them when in storage.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #208 of 407
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #209 of 407
This inaccesible, non-removable battery is a trend that needs to be stopped !
While I can understand the argument of lithium chemistry providing higher density than NiMH and the argument flat cells use space better (don't buy
any of these arguments for a cassette player), there's no valid argument (design of case is an invalid one) for not putting the case together with screws.

I (and many others) prefer the oldschool AA batteries as they can provide enough capacity (2 x 2500mAh = 6Wh) and they are standard.
The fact they're standard beats the disadvantages in this application. 6Wh means at a power draw of 500mW, the batteries will last 12 hours.
Do we really need more than that ? I don't think so.

Even if it will be continued, maybe someone wants to collect such a device and they will store it unused for long periods of time.
With AA batteries, this is not a problem as one can simply remove them when in storage.
Let's also not forget the failure modes that LMB's can have;

• premature capacity failure or reduced lifetime operation
  • explosion risk due to manufacturing/handling faults
  • requirement to declare LMB devices and restrictions to travelling (should have been an obvious one due to the primary user case scenario!)
  • compromised operational longevity due to high-cycle recharging / poor voltage conditions when re-charging / pressure differentials / temperature cycles

These are all characteristics that could be applied in a different way to re-chargeable AA cells of course but then a battery compartment and the ability to replace batteries by the user would mitigate all of these risks.

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #210 of 407

Absolutely agree with you! This trend has to stop 🛑

Users who are viewing this thread

Back