FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #1,966 of 2,258
Oohh I'll try and find something later. Thanks!

Edit: I tried it though it still pretty hard. How do you exactly pry and open the mmcx connector? Im really sorry, im very bad at these.

Look for mom or girlfriend in the kitchen after such a fork. Works on both F9 and FH5 always. Both have one MMCX connector smaller or tighter. 100% effect without bruised fingers and other goodies
8.jpg

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #1,968 of 2,258
Look for mom or girlfriend in the kitchen after such a fork. Works on both F9 and FH5 always. Both have one MMCX connector smaller or tighter. 100% effect without bruised fingers and other goodies

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. I've let everybody that I know detach it but it still sticks like a glue, and trust me, most of them are bigger, stronger, and definitely healthier than Bobjs (that comment at the bottom of ur reply).

People on amazon have same experience as me- Right earbud doesn't produce a sound unless holding the mmcx connector in firm place, and cable just won't detach.

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #1,969 of 2,258
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. I've let everybody that I know detach it but it still sticks like a glue, and trust me, most of them are bigger, stronger, and definitely healthier than Bobjs (that comment at the bottom of ur reply).

People on amazon have same experience as me- Right earbud doesn't produce a sound unless holding the mmcx connector in firm place, and cable just won't detach.

I can also deliver video as 100% works. I've been testing new cables and switching cables and IEM for the second year now. Thickness and pitch are important for proper function. I do not know why just FiiO connectors in IEM have only one connector usable. My almost perfect combination for the FH5 is the Spinfit CP 100 - (not falling out of the neck even after a long time) rubber ring under Spinfit and magic is an asymmetrical BGVP DMG cable or symmetrical of pure oxygen-free copper. Finally it basses where it is supposed to bass, drums sound like drums and not like PET bottles, the cello doesn't play like a polystyrene body etc ..
And who's still saying that another kind of IEM cable doesn't change the sound, so I recommend 20 minutes of concentrating with hydrogen peroxide in each ear hole, and charting the measurements to light the grill. Unfortunately, the tips are absolutely absolutely essential for the ultimate sound. Cables are basically 2 kinds, tens of tips ..
2 girlfriends I bought cheap Chinese IEM with MMCX up to 30 Euros and bluetooth AptX cables. Even from such toys, rather than telephones, a sound can be printed that does not offend hearing after exchange of tips
And I have quite a good technique for manually separating cables from IEM. Always lean your fingers on the IEM body and hold the cable end through a microfibre cloth or similar anti-slip fabric (for cleaning glasses). But even after a relatively easy and successful release, I have the impression that I will have bruises on my fingers in the morning. Never ever ..
F9 is the most terrible exchange - I gave it back to the dealer for repair twice, they had the same experience. Attempting to rotate around an axis according to a stupid race the cables in IEM ripped off.

Sarcastic would like to be BobJS, but he obviously hasn't changed the cables in these runes yet. Perhaps you could try to get a good quality stainless steel sheet and make your own tool - within 3 days it will do with a quality file.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #1,971 of 2,258
It's the difference in impedance between cables that you are hearing.
Of course. Some cable manufacturers are already so friendly that they mention cable impedance, at least indicative. And does this exclude a change in sound delivery? When I read the difference in sound, for example, my Beyerdynamic DT880 or 770, what a huge difference in sound at 32,80,250 Ohms impendance is, I take it with a big margin. I spent about one hour with a friend of the seller with all the variants and the ground was not shaking. Difference in volume. I'm not a cable theory advocate and audiophile camper, and I ignore reviews. But I no longer need to get my FH5 rid of them quickly.

Just a word on the FiiO LC 2.5 B symmetric cable. When I broke up, when I tried to replace the MMCX connector, I ended up pretty fast. The half-section of the cable is probably a nylon fiber intertwined with silver-plated copper wire. After burning the nylon with a lighter, without a magnifying glass, there is a problem to estimate how many microns are the true cross-section. When the signal is routed through the cable surface, I understand why the FH5 is hissing with these cables as a rattler. 35 Eur. Thank you for your experience. Luckily, LC 2.5 C and D were not yet available.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,972 of 2,258

It is important to push the forks forward to work the wedge on the fork. Don't use it as a lever !!
The difference in solving the problem I see in the geographic zone. In my country, women change their light bulbs themselves and do not look for an expert in the service and repair catalog. This is probably sarcasm... haha

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,973 of 2,258
Hey all. I'm a relative IEM neophyte looking for any impressions or comparisons of the Comet vs the Fiio FH5 in a search to find the best value in IEMs under $300. I do intend to wear them while travelling and/or walking. Any and all help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,974 of 2,258
The midrange not exactly forward as far as I tested.

Clearly nowhere near as forward as ER4XR from Etymotic.

I am bothered by forward midrange if it means lack of bass / lack of treble, like etymtoic ER4XR, where the midrange is literally the central element of the sound, and it requires EQ with most music.

With FH5, what is forward is the midrange within the soundstage, basically, the soundstage is more intimate, so it makes the midrange feel more forward, and most music has excellent layering and imaging, but it is close to the listener, imagine either sitting in the first row at a concert or in the room with the artist.

FH5 has a pretty thick bass and has enough treble sparkle to be interesting, I wouldn't consider them overly smooth to be honest.

Which is the better IEM of the 2
Etymotic ER4XR or Fiio FH5
For a musician who listens mainly to classical , Jazz & some pop .
Priorities
Neutral , crazy detailed , separation, texture layering & durability.

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #1,975 of 2,258
Priorities

You just described the ER4XR.

I’d recommend looking into the ER4SR too.

Both have A+ level isolation as well.

(I’ve demo’d the FH5)

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,976 of 2,258
Priorities

To be honest, ER4XR is more neutral, more detailed, and has more texture layering.

But FH5 also has a pretty forward midrange, and excellent textures, and I think that FH5 has a bit more dynamics, ER4XR is not very dynamic

What are you coming from? Would make it easier to tell which one you'd prefer.

I think that you should try ER4XR from what you describe there.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,978 of 2,258
So i have the FH5 home to try for 7 days and ive listened to them alot. They are really nice, wide stage, controlled sub-bass, i hear things in music i never heard before but i feel they are a bit recessed in the mids. Most of my music is EDM, Melodic Metal and Hip-hop. Im not getting that "oomph" im getting with full over-ear headphones in songs that has alot of bass. Maybe im a bit off and wont get that feeling from IEM's but im also thinking its the 3.5mm cable i got? What are your thoughts on this?

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,979 of 2,258
So i have the FH5 home to try for 7 days and ive listened to them alot. They are really nice, wide stage, controlled sub-bass, i hear things in music i never heard before but i feel they are a bit recessed in the mids. Most of my music is EDM, Melodic Metal and Hip-hop. Im not getting that "oomph" im getting with full over-ear headphones in songs that has alot of bass. Maybe im a bit off and wont get that feeling from IEM's but im also thinking its the 3.5mm cable i got? What are your thoughts on this?
The FH5 sound is very dependent on the tips you use and getting a good seal. Bass won’t be as powerful (in fact it can sound totally flat and thin) if you don’t get a perfect seal, which is not always easy with a shallow insertion IEM like the FH5. Try different tips - I found Dekoni tips work better than most for me. As for mids, the FH5 is very mid forward, not recessed, so not quite sure what’s happening there. Vocals and guitars should be forward and lively in the mix. What’s really nice about the FH5 is that the bass emphasis is on the sub bass, not mid bass (although mid bass is still powerful), so the bass almost never bleeds into the mids, unlike the FA7 which can sound thick and bloated with some music.

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #1,980 of 2,258
The FH5 sound is very dependent on the tips you use and getting a good seal. Bass won’t be as powerful (in fact it can sound totally flat and thin) if you don’t get a perfect seal, which is not always easy with a shallow insertion IEM like the FH5. Try different tips - I found Dekoni tips work better than most for me. As for mids, the FH5 is very mid forward, not recessed, so not quite sure what’s happening there. Vocals and guitars should be forward and lively in the mix. What’s really nice about the FH5 is that the bass emphasis is on the sub bass, not mid bass (although mid bass is still powerful), so the bass almost never bleeds into the mids, unlike the FA7 which can sound thick and bloated with some music.

Thanks for the response, I have worked myself through all of the tips that came in the package and figured out that the foamtips are the ones that gives the best seal for me. And this also solved all the strange things i think i heard. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back