FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 12, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,002 of 2,258
I recently purchased a pair of fh5's. At first, I really didn't like them. The fit wasn't great and the sound was weak. Once I used the bass earbuds and figured out how to get the angle correct on the over the ear piece they sound pretty good. The more I listen to them the more I enjoyed the sound.

Though I feel the sound is still not as good as the sony WF-1000xm3. I really though a wired would be much better. I use a pixel 3 with the USB-C converter so I'm assuming there is a better way to power them. What is the recommended way to listen to headphones when using USB-C? With the Sony, there is an app I downloaded which helped me to improve the sound. Is there an app I should be using?

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #2,004 of 2,258
I recently purchased a pair of fh5's. At first, I really didn't like them. The fit wasn't great and the sound was weak. Once I used the bass earbuds and figured out how to get the angle correct on the over the ear piece they sound pretty good. The more I listen to them the more I enjoyed the sound.

Though I feel the sound is still not as good as the sony WF-1000xm3. I really though a wired would be much better. I use a pixel 3 with the USB-C converter so I'm assuming there is a better way to power them. What is the recommended way to listen to headphones when using USB-C? With the Sony, there is an app I downloaded which helped me to improve the sound. Is there an app I should be using?
A few issues here. First, powering the FH5 from a phone is not ideal. It’s not hard to drive but will benefit from a dap or portable amp. Secondly, you need to switch off the Sony DSP (app) when using the FH5. Sony creates special profiles for all its BT headphones that ‘fix’ their sound, so what you’re hearing is the effect of the DSP, which will make the Sony’s sound appealing to most people. Thirdly you must make sure you get a good fit and seal with the FH5, which isn’t always easy. Lastly, avoid playing compressed music - the FH5 will be more resolving than your Sony’s and pick up every bit of compression on your files, including streamed files.

Hope this helps.

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #2,005 of 2,258
Hope this helps.

This does help.

First, powering the FH5 from a phone is not ideal. It’s not hard to drive but will benefit from a dap or portable amp.

Do you have a recommendation for a DAP for the fh5? I travel for work and need something easily portable. I was thinking about the Musiland MU1 USB or Hidizs Sonata HD DAC. I have a Fiio EK10 hooked up to my mac to power Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition 250. I've been considering upgrading the setup for my desk and taking the EK10 with me but it's not USB-C and might be a bit large to have out in an airplane.

Thirdly you must make sure you get a good fit and seal with the FH5, which isn’t always easy.

You are 100% correct about the fit. I did play with that more and the sound improved. I plan on trying more of the tips to help improve the sound.

Lastly, avoid playing compressed music

As of today, I'm switching over to using TIdal to stream music instead of Google Music!

Thank you for your reply, I spent way more time then I want to admit before deciding on purchasing the FH5 and want to make the best of my decision.

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,007 of 2,258
After listening to these for a few hours and switching between the foam/bass tips and using Tidal I official withdraw my statement. Even with the Pixel it's a vast improvement. What can I say, I was young and dumb. I can only hope you don't see me as a lesser mortal.

Please don’t take it the wrong way, it’s not meant to put you down in. Just wanted you to realize the fh5 is not so bad.

Hope you will get much enjoyment with your purchase. Cheers.

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2,008 of 2,258
Do you have a recommendation for a DAP for the fh5? I travel for work and need something easily portable. I was thinking about the Musiland MU1 USB or Hidizs Sonata HD DAC. I have a Fiio EK10 hooked up to my mac to power Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition 250. I've been considering upgrading the setup for my desk and taking the EK10 with me but it's not USB-C and might be a bit large to have out in an airplane.
Personally I love the FiiO M11 - best value dap under $1k IMO. But if you want something smaller and lighter and only do basic streaming then the FiiO M9 is great too. Haven’t used many other DAPs to be honest.

As of today, I'm switching over to using TIdal to stream music instead of Google Music!

Thank you for your reply, I spent way more time then I want to admit before deciding on purchasing the FH5 and want to make the best of my decision.
Only a pleasure - and good luck with the journey. The FH5 are exceptional and well worth the effort.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #2,009 of 2,258
Personally I love the FiiO M11 - best value dap under $1k IMO. But if you want something smaller and lighter and only do basic streaming then the FiiO M9 is great too.

This is an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about a separate player. How does the integration with the phone work? Do streaming services work through the phone to the device or does the device connect to wifi? I have a feeling I'm going to be spending the night watching reviews on M9.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,010 of 2,258
This is an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about a separate player. How does the integration with the phone work? Do streaming services work through the phone to the device or does the device connect to wifi? I have a feeling I'm going to be spending the night watching reviews on M9.
Both the M9 and M11 connect to WiFi and support Tidal (online and offline streaming). What’s more, you can connect your phone to either player by cable or Bluetooth and use them as an amp or amp/dac. Happy reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back