FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #965 of 2,258
Thanks. Does FiiO have a balanced a cable that is of sufficient quality for the FH5?
FiiO have High-purity monocrystalline (single crystal) upgrade cable.

2.5/4.4 balance and also 3.5

f2dZVe.jpg

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #966 of 2,258
I have FH5 and upgrade cable for three days.

I'm not audiophile or reviewer. I also do not have much experience in iem because I normally listen to my ATH-W5000. I use iem only during work as background music (Zero Audio Doppio, ATH- IM03, (ATH-IM04 sold, don't like it)).

I use stock cable for first three days. Listen during work and keep it play 24 hours.

After three days, I think it's time to share what I feel about FH5.

build quality: FH5 is lighter than I though. It also very convenience to wear. I have no issue to use it for 3-4 hours in morning and in afternoon. It more comfortable than IM03. The last thing, I'm very impress of 3.5 mm. jack, it build very sturdy and seem to last forever.
fC7SRe.jpg

The body look good. I Like it.

fC7VPv.jpg

Male Vocal: I love male vocal from FH5 it is very good. Zhao Peng, Glenn Frey, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Female Vocal: for first listen section, it like the singer stand in front of me, too close. But after three days I feel it better, may be my brain adjust to use to its sound. Celtic Woman, All Angels, Laura Fygi, Katherine Jenkins, etc.

Bass: First, I think I like bass of FH5, the quality and quantity is proper to my taste. But when I listen Star Wars: The imperial march, I almost cannot hear the sound and impact of timpany. I'm not technical, I don't know that timpany sound is in which frequency range, sub bass or upper bass. Another example, Fourplay (track Chant), I think drum should have more impact. It not a big deal just a little bit annoy.

Treble: from Jazz at the Pawnshop album (Track exactly like you). I wish that they have a little more sparkle for vibraphone. Just a little bit will be perfect

Sound stage: Sound stage is not wide. But it not a big issue for me

Sensitivity: Very easy to drive. From my notebook volume at 14/100 is already to loud for me.

Final: I will keep FH5 to use during work. details, overall sound, no harsh, smooth, open sound but not bright and can wear for a long time is the factor. I recommend people who looking for under 200 USD should give it a chance for demo.

-------------------------------------------------------------

now it come to upgrade cable. In my country there is two version FiiO LC-3.5B and FiiO LC-3.5C (double the price). I select FiiO LC-3.5C

fCzcKl.jpg

stock cable on the left, upgrade cable on the right
fCzEQS.jpg

I listen with upgrade cable for two hours.

ฺBass: Now impact of drum from Fourplay's Chant is very good. I extremely delight for the improvement

Sound Stage: More wide, very good also

Female vocal: As I said my brain already accept the forward sound. May be a little bit better with upgrade cable but absolutely not much.

Treble: from Jazz at the Pawnshop album (Track exactly like you). It also improve obviously.

Overall: More smooth sound. That's very great for long listen.

Final: I strongly recommend FH5 owner to try cable rolling (FiiO or other brands). It worth to try

-----------------------------------------------
As I am not expert about headphone, just a music lover. If there is something not correct, please kindly accept my apologized.

At the end, I delight that I select FH5. And looking for their next big brother model

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #968 of 2,258
One thing I am noticing rather consistently is that they take a few minutes to "settle in" each time I put them in. I don't mean physically, but for the brain to adjust to the midrange bloom. Upon initial listen they sound a bit shouty, out of balance, un-natural. After maybe four or five songs, they sound more and more natural until they sound completely wonderful.

Weird stuff.

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #969 of 2,258
Tried out a new EQ setting today and I like the FH5 much better. Jamming out on MJ Thriller DSD. Using the Comply Smartcore tips.

Dude! That's a lot of Bass. You sure love your BASS :)

Quick question for FH5 owners. In order to improve sound quality, which one you prefer, Spinfit or Spiral Dot

Spinfit is a love for me, really nice rubber, sits well, doesn't get sweaty, oily or slippery :)

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #971 of 2,258
I won't lie, I kinda laugh every time I see your bass eq - not being mean, I just wonder what it sounds like :o2smile:

Sounds like my system in my house. Kinda the same signature of DJ Laz clubs in S. Florida. DJ Danny Bled sound signature in there as well. I mean I never been to a party of any kind, where everybody was jamming out on a "neutral" sound setup. Can you picture a Reggea Fest with just Mids, Tweeters and a small midbass cabinet? That would be funny as hell.

I recapped my old Parasound R/EQ earlier this week, due it producing the dreaded 60hz humming in one channel. "Upgraded" caps vs what was originally used. This EQ is used along the BBE and DBX GoRack. And the FH5 plugs into it for all the bass in the world. Well my little Bass world.

20180329_122125.jpg 20180911_085749_HDR.jpg 20180911_085806_HDR.jpg 20180911_142535_HDR.jpg

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #972 of 2,258
I received the 4.4mm balanced Fiio cable as part of their promotion today. The cable came in 3 weeks from China which isn't too bad. It looks the same as the stock cable except for the termination. I bought an ALO Audio silver balanced cable so this cable could be a good backup if anything ever happens to the cable.

I've had these for a few weeks now and pairing it with a Sony ZX300A in balanced mode and have really enjoyed the sound. I'm also using the dual flange spinfit tips. I don't know what the average earphone at this price range sounds like as I no longer buy and sell as often in the past however I would imagine that these are very competitive. I bought a single ended adapter to my Schiit Jotunheim amp and will probably purchase a 4 pin XLR adapter for these soon. If the HE-560 resale value wasn't so low I would be tempted to sell those as I haven't used them at home for a while now.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #973 of 2,258
I have FH5 and upgrade cable for three days.

I'm not audiophile or reviewer. I also do not have much experience in iem because I normally listen to my ATH-W5000. I use iem only during work as background music (Zero Audio Doppio, ATH- IM03, (ATH-IM04 sold, don't like it)).

I use stock cable for first three days. Listen during work and keep it play 24 hours.

After three days, I think it's time to share what I feel about FH5.

build quality: FH5 is lighter than I though. It also very convenience to wear. I have no issue to use it for 3-4 hours in morning and in afternoon. It more comfortable than IM03. The last thing, I'm very impress of 3.5 mm. jack, it build very sturdy and seem to last forever.

So, overall you like them more then IM03? I would not mind a tad more bass, and the highs haven't been agreeing with me lately on the IM03

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #974 of 2,258
Spinfit is a love for me, really nice rubber, sits well, doesn't get sweaty, oily or slippery :)
Thanks, already order.

So, overall you like them more then IM03? I would not mind a tad more bass, and the highs haven't been agreeing with me lately on the IM03
Yes, I prefer sound of FH5 to IM03. If you don't mind forward mid (especially female vocal), give this a try

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back