FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #931 of 2,258
Thanks. I've just ordered some as see Brooko used them in his review. I'm using Spiral Dots at the moment and they are much better than the FiiO tips for me.

Usually the Spiral dots are my go-to tips too. However, in the case of the FH5, they do more harm than good. The FH5 already has some recessed upper mids and the Spiral Dots make this even worse.

fh5 tips.jpg

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #935 of 2,258
Sep 6, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #936 of 2,258
Usually the Spiral dots are my go-to tips too. However, in the case of the FH5, they do more harm than good. The FH5 already has some recessed upper mids and the Spiral Dots make this even worse.

Can be quite fraught trying to use a coupler and different tips and trying to use that as an indicator.

For example. here's my frequency plot along with some others - I think by now most people know the calibration exercise I've gone through to get close to IEC711 standard.

fh5 comp.png

FH5 is in red (foam tips) and does show some differences through upper mid-range to yours Theo. The gap from 4-6 kHz is still there - but not to same extent. In graph above I also included Andromeda, 64 Audio U10, and FLC8S. You could debate that those 3 earphones are stellar performers at their price points and considered pretty balanced. Two things stick out .....

1. The upper mid-range (presence area) very big colouration on the FH5 (makes it very forward - especially in the vocal area)
  2. All 4 earphones have a natural dip at 5 kHz
The point I'm making is that this dip doesn't tend to be noticed - if it was earlier or later in the curve, it would definitely come into play.

And then we can talk about tip differences. Definitely audible - but we can't make sweeping observations on how they will change the sound - when we are using:
  • A largely uncalibrated coupler - which is very differently shaped to our ear-drums (no bends)
  • Measurements that cannot take into account individual physiology
  • Measurements that cannot take into account individual levels of seal.

I don't tend to use spiral dots because I personally get an inconsistent seal - for others they could be perfect. Seal will have a far greater effect on frequency response than the slight variations materials can make. So does insertion depth (and angle) for that matter.

I would argue that the point you've indicated the mid-range drop is, doesn't really matter (~ 5 kHz), the magnitude of the measured delta in freq intensity change pales into insignificance given the magnitude of the relative change anyway, and the size of the upper-mid bump will mask any tip change anyway.

IMO - use the tips which give you best and most consistent seal. If thats a Spiral Dot - go for it.

Sep 6, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #937 of 2,258
Can be quite fraught trying to use a coupler and different tips and trying to use that as an indicator.

For example. here's my frequency plot along with some others - I think by now most people know the calibration exercise I've gone through to get close to IEC711 standard.

FH5 is in red (foam tips) and does show some differences through upper mid-range to yours Theo. The gap from 4-6 kHz is still there - but not to same extent. In graph above I also included Andromeda, 64 Audio U10, and FLC8S. You could debate that those 3 earphones are stellar performers at their price points and considered pretty balanced. Two things stick out .....

1. The upper mid-range (presence area) very big colouration on the FH5 (makes it very forward - especially in the vocal area)
  2. All 4 earphones have a natural dip at 5 kHz
The point I'm making is that this dip doesn't tend to be noticed - if it was earlier or later in the curve, it would definitely come into play.

And then we can talk about tip differences. Definitely audible - but we can't make sweeping observations on how they will change the sound - when we are using:
  • A largely uncalibrated coupler - which is very differently shaped to our ear-drums (no bends)
  • Measurements that cannot take into account individual physiology
  • Measurements that cannot take into account individual levels of seal.

I don't tend to use spiral dots because I personally get an inconsistent seal - for others they could be perfect. Seal will have a far greater effect on frequency response than the slight variations materials can make. So does insertion depth (and angle) for that matter.

I would argue that the point you've indicated the mid-range drop is, doesn't really matter (~ 5 kHz), the magnitude of the measured delta in freq intensity change pales into insignificance given the magnitude of the relative change anyway, and the size of the upper-mid bump will mask any tip change anyway.

IMO - use the tips which give you best and most consistent seal. If thats a Spiral Dot - go for it.

Well, I suppose all I can say is that, when recorded and compared to the likes of the P1, that drop in the upper mids is definitely audible, and the negative effect of the Spiral Dots were quite obvious, which is why I made the sound demo recording in the first place :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #939 of 2,258
Sending mine back. The only way I can use them is sitting down. Even then, I am constantly pushing them back in. For the record, these are the first IEMs I have ever had an issue with. I wonder if FiiO will do a quick redesign like they did with the F9, after only a couple of months on the market.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #940 of 2,258
Sending mine back. The only way I can use them is sitting down. Even then, I am constantly pushing them back in. For the record, these are the first IEMs I have ever had an issue with. I wonder if FiiO will do a quick redesign like they did with the F9, after only a couple of months on the market.

This is not normal, given that I do have minor issues with IE800, but FH5 just sits in my ears for hours, they don't fall or move, weird that you'd have issues with them (?)

Have you tried other tips?

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #942 of 2,258
Darren- I'm finding that the FH5 have good retention for me, and that includes when I run with them on. Retention is actually better than any of my other IEMs, and they're more comfortable, as well.

The shells rest pretty neutrally in my ear, and I'm not detecting any force along the axis of the ear canal (pushing in or out). Thus, retention and seal are completely tip-dependent for me.

Due to the shallow insertion depth, I needed to extend the stem length of the stock L bass tips by about 2 mm so that the shell would clear my inferior crus.
Do you find that shell interference with any particular part of your ear is preventing deeper insertion?

I hope FiiO doesn't re-design the FH5 nozzles; if they provided a touch more clearance for the inferior crus above the nozzle (perhaps like iBasso), I wouldn't need the spacer. However, the spiral "S.TURBO" transmission line appears to occupy that space, so I'd lean towards them providing some longer tip options, or even versions of a stem spacer that could be placed at the base of the nozzle.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #944 of 2,258
If I were to advise FiiO on a modification to the FH5 shell, I'd say they could lengthen the nozzle by about 2 mm. They could then provide an extra nozzle lip located 2 mm above the current nozzle base to provide deeper insertion, and allow the user to push the tip stem down past the lower lip to the current nozzle base, to provide shallower insertion like the current model. I still stand on the spacer idea, though (for my issue - don't know what Darren's is).

I wouldn't want them to make a mod that would cause the FH5 to unnecessarily protrude from most people's ears, to satisfy the needs of outliers such as myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back