FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Sep 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #947 of 2,258
Today we preview the FH5 on Headfonia. Review soon!

https://www.headfonia.com/picture-sunday-fiio-fh5/

I'm pleased he qualified the fact it was an initial impression first .....

Sound wise I didn’t have much time for listening yet. Nonetheless, with a few songs I can easily tell you that this is the best IEM FiiO has released ever, period. Effortless sound with wide staging, very well controlled and shaped overall. It’s very well balanced in its spectrum delivery and has a very good bass.

Would suggest he uses a fairly neutral IEM to periodically reset base-line along the way. Will be interested in his final conclusions when he's had a while with them. Agree on the earlier comments on shape - for me they are very comfortable too. I think they are a good progression on FiiO's journey - but that early rise in the mids is pretty much over-done, and to me they are very intimate rather than expansive (although they give the impression of widening if you EQ that early upper mid-range bump down).

Did you spend any time with them L? Curious how you heard them.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #948 of 2,258
Did you spend any time with them L? Curious how you heard them.

I have only quickly listened to them in Munich at the High End show for a few minutes. It's really not enough to make an assessment (like others do) but connected to the SP1000 I do remember they sounded nice. "Nice" is the most I can say about them at this stage really, and I probably won't listen to them again any time soon

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #950 of 2,258
Tried out a new EQ setting today and I like the FH5 much better. Jamming out on MJ Thriller DSD. Using the Comply Smartcore tips.

20180910_104958_HDR.jpg Capture+_2018-09-10-09-05-25.png

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #952 of 2,258
Tried out a new EQ setting today and I like the FH5 much better. Jamming out on MJ Thriller DSD. Using the Comply Smartcore tips.

Am I reading that right? Is that +20 db on the bass? How's the FH5 holding up regarding distortion with that EQ?

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #953 of 2,258
Am I reading that right? Is that +20 db on the bass? How's the FH5 holding up regarding distortion with that EQ?

I lower the gain accordingly for zero distortion. Subbass kicks in when called upon and the rest of the time sounds just like my speaker setup at home. Was jamming on the Reggea Gold 2017 album just now and it was sounding proper to my ears. Earlier in the day I was listening to Shabba Ranks, Damian Marley, Cutty Ranks, Yellow Claw, Phibes and Bass 305. All sounded good. Fiio design a really good IEM.

Gain on the Q5 is set on low, no bass boost and volume is around 11 0'clock with the AM3B amp module(balanced out). Perfect SPL for me. Music app is UAPP.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #954 of 2,258
I lower the gain accordingly for zero distortion. Subbass kicks in when called upon and the rest of the time sounds just like my speaker setup at home. Was jamming on the Reggea Gold 2017 album just now and it was sounding proper to my ears. Earlier in the day I was listening to Shabba Ranks, Damian Marley, Cutty Ranks, Yellow Claw, Phibes and Bass 305. All sounded good. Fiio design a really good IEM.

Gain on the Q5 is set on low, no bass boost and volume is around 11 0'clock with the AM3B amp module(balanced out). Perfect SPL for me. Music app is UAPP.

Makes sense. I always find myself adjusting volume based on the 1-2k range, so if I upped bass that much I would probably go deaf.

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #955 of 2,258
Quick question for FH5 owners. In order to improve sound quality, which one you prefer, Spinfit or Spiral Dot

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #956 of 2,258
Proud owner of a pair of FH5's; arrived today.

For the last nearly 2 years, I have been using some LZA4's almost exclusively as IEM's.

My goodness these are a step up. Just wow.

I took out the filters as has been recommended and swapped out the balanced cable from my LZ's. I am one happy camper.

I must admit, I was a bit concerned about the signature upon 1st listen but now it's settled in and I'm getting a really smooth, highly detailed sound, very detailed in fact. It's quite surreal.

My goodness how things have moved on.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #957 of 2,258
Well im happy with these..

Bought to replace an ageing ( falling apart) pair of rha t20i.. i like my midrange/ treble as im 48 and an ex dj. So my high range is severely lacking.

My god they're good. Beat the arse out of the t20i,s and everything else i have
( sure se215 , senn ie60 ). I love em, mainly as they're punchy as balls, well balanced, but also because they fit well. No constant poking them back in like tbe t20s. Straight from the headphone of a pioneer xdp300r or through a samsung and ifi xdsd or from tbe home setup and a schiit valli 2... stunning.. and only £229 from oppos/ fiio direct seller on ebay/ amazon

Thats it..

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #959 of 2,258
Removing filters , certainly not foam on the retail model in uk.
Is this a night and day change ??

I woudn't say night and day. Ive just put them back in to see if the signature changed significantly, and without them the treble is a bit more sparkly, i feel, which may lead to them sounding a bit more spaceous? Not huge differences.

In general terms these IEM's are fantastic. I'm hearing more music than before, with my old IEM's, or any other listening device I have including Beyerdynamic T1's and ADAM A5X monitors.For example, I'm noticing tambourines playing throughout tracks, clear differentiation between bass drum and bass guitar for the first time ever in Hotel California, who'd have thought it? I've only been listening to that regularly for perhaps 35 years, hah! Murmurs in a Coldplay track, never heard before. Pretty weird juju going on here. It's not like it's sounding forced, or analytical either, it's just there's all this new music to hear all of a sudden.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #960 of 2,258
These are super IEMs, no doubt. I can now notice differences now between the pure music mode or USB Player Pro in direct mode using my X7ii, over the standard Android feed via the likes of Gone Mad etc, it's more dynamic, more separation between instruments, more intelligible, generally.

The main thing this is resulting in is that I'm putting an album on, and just don't want to switch to something else and that's really saying something. The coupling with the X7ii is really good, using balanced out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back