FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #679 of 2,258
I made the purchase at the FiiO Store on AliExpress. The shipment was very fast, 5 days to Europe, and I had no import charges.

KceVAuw.jpeg

I can't do a professional review because I'm not an expert, but my opinion is that of a great music lover who devotes about two hours a day to this hobby. My modest contribution will focus on whether you deserve to replace F9 Pro with FH5, and the experience of using FH5 with X5 III and iPhone X.

Is it worth buying FH5 if you have F9 Pro?

Well, my answer to this question is a resounding YES, and I have no regrets about the money I have invested in your purchase.

This issue has been my main dilemma, as when I bought the F9 Pro I thought I had reached my spending limit on iems. In addition, I was so pleased with the move from F9 to F9 Pro that I didn't think I would be renewing them for a long time.

I am not going to talk about the behavior of FH5 in bass, middle, treble and its sound scene, as all this has been detailed in this forum by quite a few very professional people. I can only say that after using the FH5, I don't think I will use the F9 Pro.

YE5t4m6.jpeg

How is the experience using FH5 with X5 III?

Totally positive, it's like the X5 III is another player with superior sound quality. FH5 provides a bit of a sound in the F9 Pro line, but much more balanced and richly nuanced with instrument separation and a great sound scene.

FH5 requires less amplification than F9 Pro.

hzTPZgu.jpeg

How is the FH5 experience using iPhone X?

Fully recommended, the sound they generate can pass through a Hi-Res player, and it's a delight to use Spotofy with FH5 on the iPhone. I have another iPhone 6S and the experience is just as positive.

You don't have to set the volume to maximum for it to work at full capacity FH5.

QvVsSAB.jpeg

Pros:
  • Great overall sound quality, with an excellent quality/price ratio.

• Maximum comfort that eliminates weariness in the ears, can be worn in bed.

• Premium quality construction materials, both in the iems and in the cable, extras and packaging.

• Low amplification requirements, making it suitable for use in any player or phone.
Cons:
  • Sealing in the ear may be improved. I think a few longer tips might do the trick.

• The cable has no playback controls. No balanced cable included.
My final opinion:

A very good quality product at an excellent price.

Outstanding sound quality, which will not disappoint those who like FiiO iems.

Hope this helps and excuse my English.
Can you explain a bit more about the diferences on the fit on F9 and FH5? im using spin-fits on the F9 as they go deeper (are a bit longer) and i have saw guys here telling that the fit is not as good.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #682 of 2,258
So I am listening to the FH5 using a silver cable I bought from Aliexpress balanced out to my Shanling M3s. Thus far I am hearing a more textured sound overall especially the bass end. Added authority in the bass end makes these that much more fun to listen to. I am gonna leave these cables on here for a while to get used to this newer sound profile. Can't say it makes a leap in SQ over the other cables I have used but the slight uptick in resolution is welcomed and makes the FH5 sound that much better.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #683 of 2,258
So I am listening to the FH5 using a silver cable I bought from Aliexpress balanced out to my Shanling M3s. Thus far I am hearing a more textured sound overall especially the bass end. Added authority in the bass end makes these that much more fun to listen to. I am gonna leave these cables on here for a while to get used to this newer sound profile. Can't say it makes a leap in SQ over the other cables I have used but the slight uptick in resolution is welcomed and makes the FH5 sound that much better.
can you share which cable you got?

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #684 of 2,258
sorry not yet, what color will you like if we add one more color ?
mate-back with gold trim maybe?
I second the Matte black with gold trimming.

Perhaps, if the process is not too prohibitive: a lavender shell (#967BB6) with gold trimming, and the 5 peaks/ridges individually coloured yellow, red, green, blue, and purple (#800080) should definitely look perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

I have tried the FH5 and IT04, it's a tough decision. I like the FH5's tonality and vocals volume, but I also like the IT04's out-of-head expansion. I think if mids and vocals were made 'thicker' and warmer in the IT04's, I would've grabbed them on the spot!

For the time being I'll stay with my ASG-1Plus as it is a happy in-between compared to those two.

I'm still trying to get back that effortless separation in the mids/treble. In the late MJ's Black or White, I remember the Havis easily separating the gated snares from those 3-4 clicks of bells (castanets?). Those bells set the pace of the track. During the rap, they migrate to 2 o'clock position, and after the rap ends they return front and centre and the gated reverb re-joins them, simultaneously but at the sides. I miss that separation.

I will try them again soon, with the mandarins. I believe the foams will act as suspension and help dampen certain ranges of the bass, mostly sub-bass. I tried them with my 1Plus and had to increase the volume due to the dampening effect. Isolation got better, though. Noice!

Talk to you guys then. Happy listening.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #685 of 2,258
can you share which cable you got?

HTB1yqvHyuuSBuNjy1Xcq6AYjFXa7.jpg

If you look around on aliexpress these can be had for $70ish. Excellent value for the quality. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZSF...c18cd4e&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

This is one vendor but again I would look around on aliexpress. Type in pure silver mmcx and I would just get the cheapest offered. These seem to be the same cables sold on many vendors site. Every earphone I have tried this cable on sounds nice.

They can also be found on lunashops.com

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #686 of 2,258
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #689 of 2,258
I think i like them best with foam tips but need size S. Any idea which to get that fit the FH5?

Comply 600 series (Comply wouldn’t commit, but they did acknowledge that the 600 diameter was a match for the FH5: “use at your own risk”).

I was able to get Comply Ts-500 on, but the M size (which normally fits me) was a bit of a stretch for my canals. Same thing for the Smart Core variant.

MandarinEs Symbio W worked for brooko, so I ordered some from their website.

I received the Symbio W tips yesterday; I ordered the SSM pack, but none of them fit me (too small), which was confounding. People on head-fi had been reporting that the Symbio ran larger than Comply, which did not match my experience.

I’m also afraid Comply will roll off the highs more than I desire, so I was holding out hope for the Symbio W. I keep throwing money at tips, but so far only the large bass tips with a DIY spacer at the nozzle base is what fits me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back