FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #571 of 2,258
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #572 of 2,258
What made you buy them vs. other options in their price range?

Overall combination of factors, really. The build combined with the sound combined with the look. I couldn't find any options in my price range that really matched what I was looking for soundwise while also being even close to this in terms of build quality.

The Oriveti New Primacy came close but it sacrificed a bit much for me in terms of build and cable and accessories for me to choose it, even though its sound was enjoyable.

These aren't as open in terms of stage, but the increase in build and finish easily balances out that concession, for me at least.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #573 of 2,258
Here is My review of FiiO FH5

Unboxing

This is what I've received. The FiiO FH5 units, 4 kinds of ear tips, and earphone case. Under the left (blue) and right (red) unit, there is a pair of "balanced" ear tips. If you rush out the units, the ear tips could remain hidden in the hole.

clip_image001.png

20180725_123337_zpss9wyzjbh.png
20180725_123353_zpsvlpcad2n.png

clip_image002.png

Authenticity Check

First of all, it's highly recommended to make an authenticity check. There is a small sticker on the side of the outer packaging. It looks as follows:

20180725_175834_zpsg6vyuvlr.jpg
20180725_175921_edit_zpsnitjzky3.jpg

Scrape the area off where "FiiO Scratch query" is written, then the 20 digits of authenticity number appear . As instructed on the sticker, open http://www.fiio.net. At the right most side of banner bar, click "Check Authenticity".
FiiO%20check%20authentification_zps0nbnvyzz.png

Write down the 20-digit authenticity number in the pop-up window. If things goes well, FiiO welcomes you.

FiiO%20check%20authentification%20number_edit_zpsywzm9sur.png
FiiO%20check%20authentification%20checked_crop_zpsbcikjrbo.png

Headphones and Earphones Benchmarking Test

I have no measuring instrument for sound devices, so I tested FiiO FH5 from the following web site: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Frequency Response

Frequency Response: 10 Hz ~ 12 kHz

This test consists of two files. One for bass (from 10 Hz to 200 Hz), the other for treble (from 22 kHz to 8 kHz). I could hear the lowest bass frequency of 10 Hz and highest treble frequency of 12 kHz.
Sony's XBA-Z5 responds between 20 Hz ~ 12 kHz and KZ-ZS6 between 10 Hz and 13 kHz. 10 Hz response of FH5 is louder than that of ZS6. It appears that the 2 DD of KZ-ZS6 are affecting the lowest frequency response of 10 Hz, whereas FH5 is tuned to give a strong bass.

Spectral Flatness and Earbud Insert Test

Flatness: see the measured graph below

It's hard to judge the flatness with human ears. The test sound is modified to be heard as perceptually flat, so it is ok when the sweep keeps paying at the hearing thresholds. I personally feel clearly V-shaped.

fh5-default-freq-and-channel.png

clip_image008.png

Dynamic Range

Dynamic Range: 66 dbFS

This test is to find out the loudest (full scale level) and the quietest (some decibels below full scale) signal. Full scale sweep is followed by voice in successive 6 decibels below full scale in each step. I could hear the voice of 66 dbFS. Both KZ ZS6 and Sony XBA-Z5 produce hearable voice at 66 dbFS (on my ears). FH5 with "vocal" or "bass" ear tips goes a step deeper (72 dbFS).

Quality

Quality: rattle at low half of bass

The lower half bass sound rattle much in contrast of other earphones. I think this is due to the high bass sound pressure.

Driver Matching

Driver Matching: rattle at bass & at some points of treble, but not one piece alone

This test is whether the left and the right drivers respond equally to every frequency (test tones are centered). This test is easy to perceive but difficult to locate the exact frequency where the left-right discrepancy occurs. I hear three points where the sweep moves to the right side. The first frequency could be in the near of 5 kHz (cf. the above FR graph). As my highest frequency to hear is 11 kHz, this should be the third discrepancy. The second one should lie in-between. Other earphones are more or less the same. It may be due to resonance.

Wiring

Wiring: good

I think all earphones can pass this test easily. Proper wiring should provide proper routing of left and right channel. For the testing of the proper polarity of the wiring, the sound of "Center" test file should play in the center position and the sound of "Twisted" sound file in the spotless position. In case of improper polarity, the situation is the opposite.

Binaural Test

Binaural: real

In this test, one hears knocking sound on wooden doors. Does the sound real in front of each ear? Then the test is passed.

Ultimately, listen to your favorite music…

Music: good

Somewhat too short music excerpt.

All tests were made with FiiO Alpen E17, which was connected to the desktop computer via optical cable in order to play 24 bit & 192 kHz sound. All test results can differ easily from yours, because my hearing capability could be poor or defect.

About sound color

In the package there are three kinds of ear tips. 3 "balanced" (S L M with the head unit), 3 foam tips (all M), 3 "vocal" (S M L), 3 "bass" (S M L). I tried foam tip at first. The sound are dark. The "bass" silicone ear tips produce also dark sound. The "vocal" silicone ear tips shows me a brighter tone. The "balanced" one shows me brightest tone.

If you hear "Albéniz : Frühbeck De Burgos, New Philharmonia ‎– Suite Española" (orchestral performance), especially Castilla and Asturias, there are lots of brass wind sounds in loud tone and high pitch, which causes easily a tearing sound. XBA-Z5 gently cleanses such sound. FH5's performance is less than XBA-Z5, but it gives still an enjoyable sound. Others like KZ-ZS6 play somewhat unpleasant sound. FH5 with the "balanced" ear tips produces little amount of sibilant.

FH5 is bass oriented, tends to sound dark. With proper ear tips a desirable sound color could be achieved.

Fitting

FH5 fits in my ears very comfortably. Spin-fit provides also comfortable fitting, more sound shield, and bright sound.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #574 of 2,258
Here is My review of FiiO FH5

Unboxing

This is what I've received. The FiiO FH5 units, 4 kinds of ear tips, and earphone case. Under the left (blue) and right (red) unit, there is a pair of "balanced" ear tips. If you rush out the units, the ear tips could remain hidden in the hole.

clip_image001.png

20180725_123337_zpss9wyzjbh.png
20180725_123353_zpsvlpcad2n.png

clip_image002.png

Authenticity Check

First of all, it's highly recommended to make an authenticity check. There is a small sticker on the side of the outer packaging. It looks as follows:

20180725_175834_zpsg6vyuvlr.jpg
20180725_175921_edit_zpsnitjzky3.jpg

Scrape the area off where "FiiO Scratch query" is written, then the 20 digits of authenticity number appear . As instructed on the sticker, open http://www.fiio.net. At the right most side of banner bar, click "Check Authenticity".
FiiO%20check%20authentification_zps0nbnvyzz.png

Write down the 20-digit authenticity number in the pop-up window. If things goes well, FiiO welcomes you.

FiiO%20check%20authentification%20number_edit_zpsywzm9sur.png
FiiO%20check%20authentification%20checked_crop_zpsbcikjrbo.png

Headphones and Earphones Benchmarking Test

I have no measuring instrument for sound devices, so I tested FiiO FH5 from the following web site: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Frequency Response

Frequency Response: 10 Hz ~ 12 kHz

This test consists of two files. One for bass (from 10 Hz to 200 Hz), the other for treble (from 22 kHz to 8 kHz). I could hear the lowest bass frequency of 10 Hz and highest treble frequency of 12 kHz.
Sony's XBA-Z5 responds between 20 Hz ~ 12 kHz and KZ-ZS6 between 10 Hz and 13 kHz. 10 Hz response of FH5 is louder than that of ZS6. It appears that the 2 DD of KZ-ZS6 are affecting the lowest frequency response of 10 Hz, whereas FH5 is tuned to give a strong bass.

Spectral Flatness and Earbud Insert Test

Flatness: see the measured graph below

It's hard to judge the flatness with human ears. The test sound is modified to be heard as perceptually flat, so it is ok when the sweep keeps paying at the hearing thresholds. I personally feel clearly V-shaped.

fh5-default-freq-and-channel.png

clip_image008.png

Dynamic Range

Dynamic Range: 66 dbFS

This test is to find out the loudest (full scale level) and the quietest (some decibels below full scale) signal. Full scale sweep is followed by voice in successive 6 decibels below full scale in each step. I could hear the voice of 66 dbFS. Both KZ ZS6 and Sony XBA-Z5 produce hearable voice at 66 dbFS (on my ears). FH5 with "vocal" or "bass" ear tips goes a step deeper (72 dbFS).

Quality

Quality: rattle at low half of bass

The lower half bass sound rattle much in contrast of other earphones. I think this is due to the high bass sound pressure.

Driver Matching

Driver Matching: rattle at bass & at some points of treble, but not one piece alone

This test is whether the left and the right drivers respond equally to every frequency (test tones are centered). This test is easy to perceive but difficult to locate the exact frequency where the left-right discrepancy occurs. I hear three points where the sweep moves to the right side. The first frequency could be in the near of 5 kHz (cf. the above FR graph). As my highest frequency to hear is 11 kHz, this should be the third discrepancy. The second one should lie in-between. Other earphones are more or less the same. It may be due to resonance.

Wiring

Wiring: good

I think all earphones can pass this test easily. Proper wiring should provide proper routing of left and right channel. For the testing of the proper polarity of the wiring, the sound of "Center" test file should play in the center position and the sound of "Twisted" sound file in the spotless position. In case of improper polarity, the situation is the opposite.

Binaural Test

Binaural: real

In this test, one hears knocking sound on wooden doors. Does the sound real in front of each ear? Then the test is passed.

Ultimately, listen to your favorite music…

Music: good

Somewhat too short music excerpt.

All tests were made with FiiO Alpen E17, which was connected to the desktop computer via optical cable in order to play 24 bit & 192 kHz sound. All test results can differ easily from yours, because my hearing capability could be poor or defect.

About sound color

In the package there are three kinds of ear tips. 3 "balanced" (S L M with the head unit), 3 foam tips (all M), 3 "vocal" (S M L), 3 "bass" (S M L). I tried foam tip at first. The sound are dark. The "bass" silicone ear tips produce also dark sound. The "vocal" silicone ear tips shows me a brighter tone. The "balanced" one shows me brightest tone.

If you hear "Albéniz : Frühbeck De Burgos, New Philharmonia ‎– Suite Española" (orchestral performance), especially Castilla and Asturias, there are lots of brass wind sounds in loud tone and high pitch, which causes easily a tearing sound. XBA-Z5 gently cleanses such sound. FH5's performance is less than XBA-Z5, but it gives still an enjoyable sound. Others like KZ-ZS6 play somewhat unpleasant sound. FH5 with the "balanced" ear tips produces little amount of sibilant.

FH5 is bass oriented, tends to sound dark. With proper ear tips a desirable sound color could be achieved.

Fitting

FH5 fits in my ears very comfortably. Spin-fit provides also comfortable fitting, more sound shield, and bright sound.

Dark signature? That’s new

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #577 of 2,258
Could be dark... subjectively. What are you comparing it to that you feel that the FH5 is dark @Koaunghi Un ? ?

AKG Q701 has warm and bright tone. Sennheiser HD600 is also a bright colored headphone. XBA-Z5 consists of 1 DD + 2 BAs. It's tone is not as bright as Q701 but not dark. XBA-3 consists of only 3 BAs but is not dark as FH5. I have also TDK ie-800, Etymotic ER4S, and so on. Their tone is not dark. The tone of Apple earpod is dark. FH5's tone is not as dark as earpod though, but I wish it would be more bright.
As you implied, it's my feeling. Others would feel differently.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #578 of 2,258
I can see how compared to other headphones it would be dark, but overall I don't think calling it that does it justice. It's definitely got bass and punch, but never really feels dim or muddled like the work dark entails? My opinion, of course.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #579 of 2,258
I am looking for some Comply foam tips for my FH5 but I'm a bit confused about fittings... do I have to look for a specific model to fit the FH5, if so which ones does it fit them?

Thanks in advance guys!

I have yet to achieve a comfortable seal with the FH5. They have relatively wide nozzles (I measured 5.88 mm minor diameter, and 6.54 mm lip diameter) like the FH1, but with shallower insertion depth. The closest I could get to a semblance of a seal from the included materials was with the large bass tips, but I could fiddle with the earphones and feel the bass going in and out. Their resting position was obviously leaking. 3 pairs of one size foam tips wasn't helpful, either.

I suspect I have a situation similar to Brooko’s, who said he wasn’t able to get a seal with any of the included tips, but was successful with MandarinEs Symbio W (wide bore). I ordered some (SSM), but I think they’re going to take a while to make their way to California.

I usually use Comply medium tips. I was able to wrangle Comply Ts-500 medium on the FH1 and FH5, and they sealed very well, but they caused me some lasting canal pain, so back in the drawer they went. I also tried the smart core Comply tips, but they still ended up being too large for me.

What series Comply tips will maintain their proper outer diameter with the FH5?

[EDIT: DIY solution in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-in-ear-monitors.882444/page-41#post-14391400]

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #581 of 2,258
About the price different, the cost difference come from the metal case and the driver, accessories,

1, About the metal case, you should noticed that the FH5 includes 3 different parts and the shape is far more complex than our F9/F9 pro, we call it "TriShell", if you get both on hand , you will figure out what a huge improvement based on F9 PRO.

2,About the drivers, this time, we used a very famous ED BA for the middle , the ED driver is quite expensive , plz noted that not every BA cost the same.

3, This time the FH5 comes with a very good cable and better package.

BTW, you guys can waiting for the reviews and I believe you will not disappoint about FH5.

Hey james
it would not have been better if the excellent cable supplied was 2.5mm balanced + BL35 ?

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #583 of 2,258
Tried the FH5 today paired with my Cayin N5ii and stock tips at a local retailer:

Just wasn’t for me. It sounded very clean and had nice separation but a bit cold and something was missing. On the positive side, I really liked the cable and the fit (super premium and comfortable). I can see this being a good fit for someone for their first or second earphone in their collection. Very versatile and can cover a lot of genres well. Agreed that it’s mid-focused. I just already have the Andromeda for that which is actually praise for the FH5. My girlfriend really liked it when she demo’d it (hence my point about first or second earphone in the collection). My vote goes to the E5000 personally for me due to my circumstances. I need the warmth and sweetness of the vocals.

Still, verdict: steal for the price for $260. I would recommend.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #584 of 2,258
Any comparisons between the FH5 and the iBasso IT04's yet?

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #585 of 2,258
I wrote this on the IT04 thread. I have both. The FH5 has good, balanced tuning but is a more forward sounding earphone vs the IT04. Vocals are highlighted a bit more so on the FH5. Some might like this but this is due to a slight peak in the 2khz range. Otherwise sound balancing is actualy done well on them. Treble has a slight dryness to it and is tuned well so not to cause any stridancy or fatigue. But it lacks a bit of sparkle in being a bit conservative. Treble is not as extended defined or as smooth/ sweet or silky like the IT04 treble. Mids do sound a bit more forward on them but it was purposfully done to highlight vocals. Layering of the mids is done well but lacks the imaging and precision the IT04 provides. Again resolution is not on par with the IT04 here.

Bass ends both are done well but the IT04 bass end is tighter is better textured and reaches the lowest of lows easier than the FH5. FH5 sub bass is a bit softer, boomier sounding and not as textured or as tight. Mid bass is a bit less than the sub bass on the FH5. Both have good impact in the bass region but neither are overly bass emphasized, both take a more balanced approach to tuning.

FH5 does isolate better than the IT04 but not by a big margin. It is a heavier earphone due to having alloy shells. Ergonomics and fit is a wash as both are supremely comfortable for me.
Stageing of the IT04 wins here as the FH5 gives off mid wide sound. The IT04 does have a wider stage and it is the definition of each of the sound regions that really separates the IT04 from the FH5. Depth wise I feel the IT04 has better depth the FH5 being a fuller sounding earphone can seem a bit up front for some recordings. No such issue with the IT04. Again much more natural sounding as a result.

I do enjoy both earphones but the IT04 is a special earphone, the FH5 is good for the price, very competitive at their price point. However It is the refinements in the IT04 that makes them special combined with that wide sound stage add one of the best balancing I have heard on any earphone and you get what clearly separates the IT04 from an otherwise good for the price performing FH5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back