FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #512 of 2,258
Its a lot better than the likes of the FH1. It'll never be as fast as well tuned BA drivers, but they'll never have the same timbre as a well tuned dynamic. I think the bass is pretty clean.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #514 of 2,258
My review of the FiiO FH5 quad driver hybrid IEM is now posted:
https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2018/07/23/fiio-fh5-hybrid-iem-review/

Hi Brooko,

thanks a lot for that great review!

Can I ask you about what you think if you compare the soundstage of the FH5 with the Sirius` soundstage? Because in your Sirius review you wrote that the Sirius has impressed you with its soundstage more than many other IEMs while the FH5 seems to leave a mediocre (?) impression in this regard? But I understand in total you seem to prefer the FH5?

To me also, the Sirius has this very open, airy and wide sound (that I love), maybe due to his venting system.
So the FH5 is different?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #515 of 2,258
Hi Brooko,

thanks a lot for that great review!

Can I ask you about what you think if you compare the soundstage of the FH5 with the Sirius` soundstage? Because in your Sirius review you wrote that the Sirius has impressed you with its soundstage more than many other IEMs while the FH5 seems to leave a mediocre (?) impression in this regard? But I understand in total you seem to prefer the FH5?

To me also, the Sirius has this very open, airy and wide sound (that I love), maybe due to his venting system.
So the FH5 is different?

Yes the FH5 is quite different - it has very forward vocals. The closer the vocalist is to you, the smaller the impression of stage size (we're more sensitive to vocal range, and it tends to overshadow other instruments). if you've ever listened to a Grado - its that kind of intimacy. Exciting and vivid but ultimately quite intimate. Two ways you can increase stage:
- with use of DSP (if your DAP or App supports)
- use of EQ to take away some of the forwardness.

I like the FH5's bass more, and also its comfort (compared to Sirius)

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #516 of 2,258
can someone compare it to the 1more quad drivers since both are 200ish and has 4 drivers

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #517 of 2,258
1 more quads when I had them were a bit too warm in tonality for my liking. Lacked treble extension and clarity up top. Mid range is similar to the FH5 in that both are layered well and has vocal forwardness but the bass end was mostly mid bass on the 1 more vs the more balanced end of the FH5. FH5 bass is faster and tighter sounding as well. Again this is from memory but I sold off the one more quads fairly quick after having them for about a month.

Both are spacious sounding but overall balanced and extension on both ends are better tuned on the FH5 vs the 1 more. I would say the mids are similar quality.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #518 of 2,258
1 more quads when I had them were a bit too warm in tonality for my liking. Lacked treble extension and clarity up top. Mid range is similar to the FH5 in that both are layered well and has vocal forwardness but the bass end was mostly mid bass on the 1 more vs the more balanced end of the FH5. FH5 bass is faster and tighter sounding as well. Again this is from memory but I sold off the one more quads fairly quick after having them for about a month.

Both are spacious sounding but overall balanced and extension on both ends are better tuned on the FH5 vs the 1 more. I would say the mids are similar quality.
Pretty much how I would describe their differences, although I would argue the thicker, slower bass and lower mid bloom compromises the Quad's layering a lot. The FH5 is much livelier to me, with slightly better separation and clarity.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #519 of 2,258
Hi Brooko,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review. Having read it, I've got a better idea now of what the FH5 are like.

That said, however, I have two questions for you:
  1. What alternatives would you recommend at/under/around $300 USD with similar build quality/accessories/looks?
  2. Is the forwardness of the midrange enough to be a deal breaker for those who are partially sensitive to audio fatigue? Or will it simply be a character of the IEM?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #520 of 2,258
well i had 1 more quads for like 4 months now,currently like it and it was a upgrade from the shure se215 which i had for 2 years. thank you for the insights, it seems it's time to move on from the 1more to fiio :)

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #521 of 2,258
well i had 1 more quads for like 4 months now,currently like it and it was a upgrade from the shure se215 which i had for 2 years. thank you for the insights, it seems it's time to move on from the 1more to fiio :)

welcome to the audiophile wallet breaking game ! the quads are still very solid, make no mistake about that haha. I just love the brighter, more defined mids and highs in the FH5. quad was a little dark for me. I should be finishing my review of the FH5 in a few days, if you want to wait for that :wink:

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #522 of 2,258
welcome to the audiophile wallet breaking game ! the quads are still very solid, make no mistake about that haha. I just love the brighter, more defined mids and highs in the FH5. quad was a little dark for me. I should be finishing my review of the FH5 in a few days, if you want to wait for that :wink:
well i was already tempted to buy it in china,but it got sold out before i could buy it and went to pre-order agian. i prefer more balanced sound and the fiio fh5 fits the bill

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #523 of 2,258
My review of the FiiO FH5 quad driver hybrid IEM is now posted:
https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2018/07/23/fiio-fh5-hybrid-iem-review/
I noticed on your review you mention the FLC8S fall out despite the wire hook in the cable. That cable is actually the problem. I have a pair of IT01's and with the iBasso cable, no issues. I recently got a new phone case and the iBasso cable doesn't fit. I hooked up my SE215 cable to the IT01's and slip city. Constantly falling out. I switched to the SE846 cables until I can get a small extension. The IT01 cable is so much better that I can't wait to change back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back